POA Cycling Club on Strava

We are up to 16 members in our cycling club now. There were 11 riders last week for a total of 316 miles. I'm back home from my business trip and will be able to contribute more this week.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
As a commuter I'm highly dependent on weather. If there are going to be afternoon TS (and there have been a lot so far this summer), no thanks! 60-70mph winds, wet roads, and bikes don't mix.

We had 8 of the 16 members of the PoA Cycling Club making rides last week for a total of 310 miles. It has really been hot here in Georgia this past week. I've been trying to get my rides in during the morning but it is still rough. I'm glad to be back home and riding on a regular basis again.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 12
It was hot and humid up here in Wisconsin last weekend as well, plus a forecast of severe thunderstorms. 24 hours out, they said they would arrive at 2pm, they came at 2:15pm, so not bad on the forecast, but they lasted all of 15 minutes!. I did finally get out mountain biking for the first time this season.

I need to get another mountain bike (my last one succumbed to stress corrosion cracking in the frame.) But, all they sell these days is those stupid, god awful 29" wheels. I haven't bothered just because I don't do trail riding these days. If I get one it will probably be a Montague, so I can throw it in the plane easily.

I need to go out again, maybe later this afternoon. It's been so unbearably hot and humid here lately that I just haven't been up for it.

I need to get another mountain bike (my last one succumbed to stress corrosion cracking in the frame.) But, all they sell these days is those stupid, god awful 29" wheels. I haven't bothered just because I don't do trail riding these days. If I get one it will probably be a Montague, so I can throw it in the plane easily.
Sounds like you need to find another bike shop. When I bought mine earlier this year they were in the minority. And according to the sales guy "waning in popularity".

Sounds like you need to find another bike shop. When I bought mine earlier this year they were in the minority. And according to the sales guy "waning in popularity".

Yeah I see that 27.5 inch (650 mm) wheels are starting to be more common. That would work.

Joined the group and did ~ 25 miles this am in Florida. Hot hot hot.. (oh and humid too)

It has been really hot here too. I don't let the heat stop me. I just try to ride either early in the morning or late evening. Unfortunately we have had thunderstorms the past two evenings. That stops me! At least it gave me a chance to clean and degrease the chain and gears on my bike followed by a fresh lube job. I'm ready to hit the road again whenever the weather will cooperate.

FWIW I have a Park Tools chain cleaner. It does a great job and is about the cleanest and easiest way to do the job that I have run across. If you ride on a regular basis it is a good investment.
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-CG...tools+chain+cleaner&psc=1&smid=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

It finally cooled down from broil to merely bake so I made it out again. There's a Wendy's that makes a convenient destination- bike out there, grab a sandwich off the dollar menu and come home. Today's was their buffalo chicken ranch sandwich for $1... not bad at all.

This is the model of bike I have
http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2017-khs-models/urban-x-17/

34202966_10103675696397055_6406312389091786752_n.jpg
Bought it years ago while living in Eau Claire, WI. The town had bike trails all over and I decided to get something from an actual bike shop instead of the usual of whatever wal-mart had on sale. What attracted me to this one was I could easily put saddle bags on it for the massive amounts of water/sports drink I need to carry and the tires were a happy medium in-between the super-skinny road tires and the chunky mountain bike style. Had a lot of fun on it exploring the town then we moved out of town where there were just busy highways and I stopped riding.

Now we've moved again and although I'm on a gravel road and by major highways there isn't as much traffic. Still the bike sat in the back of the shed for 2 years. POA is partly responsible for me finally making the effort to take it out again. I wanted my own ground transport for the KY dam meet if needed and I always suspected this would fit in the plane which indeed it did. Before leaving I did a test-ride to the nearest town and found that it was fine, traffic here isn't bad and I've yet to have one person be a jerk.

One thing I'll say is I'm riding what they call and "Urban Commuter bike" down rural roads, some which are gravel and it's fine. I don't have mountain bike shocks or big chunky tires and it's fine down the gravel. I do have a gel pad on my seat because the factory KHS seat has NO padding at all but it's still just fine. I don't know if it really makes a difference but in my mind once I get out on the pavement the slimmer tires cut my rolling resistance down.

Probably need to go through this since it sat so long, all I did out of the shed was oil the chain, air up the tires, and check the brakes. Although is there really anything else to do on a bike? I think I'm fatter now though, I have the tires aired up all the way to the max 65PSI and the rear one is still squatting :oops:

Either way if anyone is looking for an all around good bike for going places I would recommend this one.

It finally cooled down from broil to merely bake so I made it out again.
It is so hot here too. I just try to get out early in the morning before the heat builds up. It's still pretty warm but a little more bearable. As long as I keep moving I'm fairly comfortable from the breeze. When I stop is when I suffer.

The town had bike trails all over and I decided to get something from an actual bike shop instead of the usual of whatever wal-mart had on sale.
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. It makes it so much more enjoyable to be able to ride a bike with quality hardware. Nothing more frustrating than crappy derailers and cheap squeaky brakes.

POA is partly responsible for me finally making the effort to take it out again. I wanted my own ground transport for the KY dam meet if needed and I always suspected this would fit in the plane which indeed it did.
I'm glad we provided some encouragement to get you back out again. I enjoy sharing my rides on Strava with my friends and following their rides and accomplishments. If you haven't been riding regularly, your Wendy's run was a pretty big ride! Don't forget that you can attach pictures to your Strava ride just like you do on posts here. It is interesting to get to see the locations around the country where others are riding. It's also neat that your bike will fit in your plane.

I don't know if it really makes a difference but in my mind once I get out on the pavement the slimmer tires cut my rolling resistance down.
It does make a difference. You can run lower pressure in the wider tires which translates into a softer more comfortable ride but that comes at a little speed expense. My road bike has 28mm tires which I think is a great compromise for 'road' tires but still too narrow for off-road. I can run 75-80 psi instead of the normal >100 psi road tires that are 25mm or less.

Glad to see you are back out riding again!

For any that don't know, it is really easy to add pictures to your Strava ride. After you have uploaded your ride to Strava, click on the map of your ride and it will go to a screen with more details of your ride. On the bottom right corner of the map you will see a picture icon. Touch this icon and it will bring up your phone pictures to select from. After selecting your picture(s), don't forget to select the 'Update Activity' button at the bottom to save the picture(s) to Strava. It would really be interesting to see the places you guys are riding.

Also, for what it's worth, the Tour de France starts tomorrow. NBC Sports will be broadcasting the races.

The flyby feature in Strava is really cool too. You can totally cyberstalk the hot chick you had been drafting for several miles.

24 miles today, not on the strava group though. Thinking about doing the Mt Washington century at the end of July, but not sure I can get there after an extend period of slugdom. We'll see.

I'm headed up to Bend, OR at the end of the week to knock out a tailwheel rating. Thinking of taking the mountain bike and wasting time at working looking at trails in the area!

We added two new members this past week to the cycling club to take us up to 18 members. Eleven rode last week for a total of 482 miles. I think this may be the most miles ridden since we started the group. Awesome!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 4
Week ending 7-15-18
19 Members
7 Riders
548 Miles
Four riders over 100 miles for the week

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    124 KB · Views: 9
Week ending 7-22-18
19 Members
9 Riders
552 Miles
Two riders over 100 miles for the week

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 6
I dont ride but i used to.
Joined and maybe i will again.
We'll see

Now that I have my PP, should be back to riding a bit more

I’ve got an irritating problem now. They put down new gravel on my road and it’s so deep that it’s like biking through mud almost, poor traction and unstable. Very unpleasant for my 1st mile. I’ve been having my wife drive out and meet me at the highway becuse the return trip is uphill and as bad as downhill is that just seems miserable. 30A85216-2446-4911-BBFE-E09FE45FBC7D.jpeg

Week ending 7-29-18
20 Members
10 Riders
370.4 Miles
There were no riders with over 100 miles this week.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 7
Week ending 8-5-18
21 Members
11 Riders
748.7 Miles
Three riders with over 100 miles for the week.

You guys were absolutely crushing it this week!!! This is our highest stats so far.
Also, kudos on Adam B's "Century" ride. 109 miles on one ride!!!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Last week looked like a pretty big week mileage wise...

I was riding in Greenville last week with my wife for our end of the season trip. First time to the area and we really enjoyed it. Lots of rolling hills (similar to what we have west of Madison, but longer) and several sustained climbs. The Hincapie Grand Fondo was on Saturday and while we did not do that (didn't even realize it was going on until we got down there), we did bike past Hotel Domestique on Friday just after they finished setting up the finish line chute, so we got to ride thru that :)

upload_2018-10-22_10-49-11.png

Joined. I ride over 3,000 miles a year.

We need a Pilots of America running club too.

Adam better get training. Jean is nipping at his heels!

I just joined. Should help boost the numbers when I start my winter training.

End of the season eh? That should help my standing. No end of the season here.

I'm a fair weather commuter here, once the temps drop below 50*F, I'm not really interested in riding to work.

I may join soon. I don't have a very nice bike, and I don't ride often.
Also use Runkeeper pro.
I need motivation...and new tires.

Joined yesterday, put down my first ride last night. I'm pretty new to cycling, bought a Cannondale Synapse a month or two ago. Been running for quite a few years, decided to try cycling for a change of pace (in addition to running).

I joined on the 22nd, after a ride. Hoping to get another 10 miles in today.

Used to run a lot also, but after blowing a disc in my back working (painting!) it put an end to that. After surgery, I walked for about 4 months but my back wasn't getting a lot better. I bought a Schwinn road bike, and within 2 months I felt like a new person.
That was close to 3 years ago (December '15) and feel like I could run again. But I've gained several pounds since the surgery and am afraid it will compress my spine too much...so riding for now.
I do miss running though, a lot.
Don't care to ride on the roads around here. The drivers are nuts. It's the reason I sold my motorcycle too....almost got hit daily. Fortunately, we have a 'green belt' to ride on, but there are several roads to cross, and it's full of families, many with dogs, so makes for slow(er) riding. Glad to have it though, and it offers a little shade in some areas later in the day.

So now a question to the group, with winter coming up.
Do any of you use face coverings for winter riding? It gets pretty intense sometimes lol.
If so what do you use?
What other clothing do you recommend for winter riding?

I joined on the 22nd, after a ride. Hoping to get another 10 miles in today.

Used to run a lot also, but after blowing a disc in my back working (painting!) it put an end to that. After surgery, I walked for about 4 months but my back wasn't getting a lot better. I bought a Schwinn road bike, and within 2 months I felt like a new person.
That was close to 3 years ago (December '15) and feel like I could run again. But I've gained several pounds since the surgery and am afraid it will compress my spine too much...so riding for now.
I do miss running though, a lot.
Don't care to ride on the roads around here. The drivers are nuts. It's the reason I sold my motorcycle too....almost got hit daily. Fortunately, we have a 'green belt' to ride on, but there are several roads to cross, and it's full of families, many with dogs, so makes for slow(er) riding. Glad to have it though, and it offers a little shade in some areas later in the day.

So now a question to the group, with winter coming up.
Do any of you use face coverings for winter riding? It gets pretty intense sometimes lol.
If so what do you use?
What other clothing do you recommend for winter riding?

I’m in Southern California. What’s winter? Coolest here I’ve ridden in is about 45* when we do mountains. But going uphill I’m warm. Coming down I put a jacket and gloves on.

I’m in Southern California. What’s winter? Coolest here I’ve ridden in is about 45* when we do mountains. But going uphill I’m warm. Coming down I put a jacket and gloves on.

Even in Norcal there is no 'riding season.' I personally do not like to ride in weather colder than 50 degrees but I have the gear for it and I will do it. Below 40? No thanks.

I am a cold weather wuss. I earned my cold weather wuss badge in Germany circa cold war training exercises and a nasty bout of hypothermia. Plus I grew up in the tropics. Cold weather, Sac Arrow, not get along well.

I retired as of last Wednesday, rode 6 days this week, and hopefully will stay on that pace. Adam S throws down some intimidating times, so will need a few weeks to get to that level :).

Back