Consequences of medical after/during getting sport license

aeronav

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AeroNav
Hello,
I am a new member, looking to getting SP license, the reason I chose it was mainly because it does not require medical and of my concern about the possibility of failing a medical check which may cost me both Sport and potential future Private pilot license, Since I am new to this, I have two questions:

1- What is the consequence/effect of getting medical check and failing it while I am still in the process of training for my SP license for my SP?
2-What is the consequence of getting medical check and failing it after getting my SP license?

Thank you.

You are not required to have a "medical" during flight training until your first solo.

For sport pilot, you have 2 options for a "medical".
1. Driver's license and the restrictions on it
2. Your most recent FAA Medical and the restrictions on it.

If you take the FAA Medical at any time and fail it, you cannot fly with just your Driver's license as a "medical" until you take another FAA Medical and pass.

So, don't fail the FAA Medical.

How do you do that? Never take the FAA Medical unless you know you will pass. If you want a FAA Medical, contact your FAA Medical Examiner and tell him/her that you want an evaluation of your ability to pass. Your examiner checks you out and says "yes" or "no", then if the answer is "yes" go ahead and fill out the forms to take the FAA Medical. Otherwise, just keep using your driver's license.

In any case, never fly if you know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make you unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.
https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

To answer your two questions, in order:

1.) You're screwed, permanently, unless and until you can obtain an FAA medical certificate.
2.) You're screwed, permanently, unless and until you can obtain an FAA medical certificate.

As AuntPeggy said, and as I have been saying for a while now, don't EVER apply for an FAA medical certificate unless and until you know for a fct that, barring a sudden MI in the doctor's office, you'll pass.

For people who arnt trying to make money with their cert, or fly international, there is zero reason to get a medical between SP and basic med

You are not required to have a "medical" during flight training until your first solo.

For sport pilot, you have 2 options for a "medical".
1. Driver's license and the restrictions on it
2. Your most recent FAA Medical and the restrictions on it.

If you take the FAA Medical at any time and fail it, you cannot fly with just your Driver's license as a "medical" until you take another FAA Medical and pass.

So, don't fail the FAA Medical.

How do you do that? Never take the FAA Medical unless you know you will pass. If you want a FAA Medical, contact your FAA Medical Examiner and tell him/her that you want an evaluation of your ability to pass. Your examiner checks you out and says "yes" or "no", then if the answer is "yes" go ahead and fill out the forms to take the FAA Medical. Otherwise, just keep using your driver's license.

In any case, never fly if you know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make you unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.
https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot
Thank you for the information and advise, I don't have medical condition, just wanted to be cautious and informative before I do anything as I am thinking about commercial or private license after I get Sport license, were you talking about Private pilot licensing when you said "You are not required to have a "medical" during flight training until your first solo" ? I know that I don't need other than my DL for SP.
Thanks

To answer your two questions, in order:

1.) You're screwed, permanently, unless and until you can obtain an FAA medical certificate.
2.) You're screwed, permanently, unless and until you can obtain an FAA medical certificate.

As AuntPeggy said, and as I have been saying for a while now, don't EVER apply for an FAA medical certificate unless and until you know for a fct that, barring a sudden MI in the doctor's office, you'll pass.
Thanks for the advise.

How do you get basic med without first getting a medical?
Basic Med is not the same thing as Sport Pilot driver's license medical. With Basic Med, your implication is correct. You must have an FAA Medical first, then go with Basic Med.

With Sport Pilot, you can use your driver's license as a medical. At one time, the rumor was that Basic Med would be the same as the Sport Pilot driver's license requirement. Didn't happen, tho.

If you enjoy sport pilot,go for it,you can decide later if you want to upgrade to a medical.

were you talking about Private pilot licensing when you said "You are not required to have a "medical" during flight training until your first solo" ? I
Before you solo, nothing is required. Well, nothing except a log book and all the stuff to keep the TSA happy since if you are a U.S. citizen then, by definition, you aren't going to use an airplane for something bad.
If the airplane qualifies as an LSA, Drivers License will let you solo as part of your training towards a S.P. certificate.
If the airplane does not qualify as an LSA, a medical is required to solo.

just wanted to be cautious and informative before I do anything as I am thinking about commercial or private license after I get Sport license
Caution is an okay thing. When applied correctly.

Slight correction to your wording. If you still want to start with Sport Pilot, the sequence you're thinking of should be

Sport >> Private >> Instrument >> Commercial​

You are permitted to jump straight from Private to Commercial, but doing so puts some significant limitations on the Commercial Pilots License and the utility of having one.

To confirm what was already said, you do not need any medical certificate for a Private Pilot's License (PPL) until it is time for your first solo flight. So if you wish to wait until just before that event, that's okay. However, we advise not to do it that way.

To gain confidence, and more importantly, knowledge, of what is involved with obtaining your first medical certificate, start by reviewing the instruction manual for MedXpress, the FAA's online form for applying for a medical. You can find that here: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 of 36. This is where they ask about any medications you are currently taking (Question 17). If there are none, move to the next section. But if there are some, you will be asked to list the names, dosage, and frequency. Most medications are permitted. Some are not and will be a show stopper. Others may be an indicator of a medical item that the FAA will want to know more about. In many cases, the FAA will need a letter from your treating doctor that mention the medications, why they were prescribed, and how well they are helping you. During the examination, the Aviation Medical Examiner will ask questions about the medications and the doctors letter, fill in some blanks, and make notations on his side of the application form.

Now scroll down to page 26 or 36. This is the medical history section (Question 18). An important phrase here is "Have you ever in your life..." Review these items and see if any should be answered yes. If one or more is answered yes, then definitely do not go to an AME to obtain a medical certificate until you thoroughly know what the FAA is going to want to know about the item you checked as yes.

Some of these are minor and the documentation required is also minor. Others are big, BIG things, and while they might not be show stoppers, you will have to obtain more things that are the right things and in the right format and order in order to satisfy the FAA.

Again, do not go to an AME for a live exam until you know what it is the FAA wants.

How do you find out what the FAA wants? The best way is to have a consultation visit with an AME. This visit does not get reported to the FAA. All it is is a information gather visit with the medical examiner to find out what you need to obtain. If you are unable to find an AME in your area to do this, then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien in Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Bruce is a member here and can answer your questions online. But direct emails are often more efficient and allow him to discuss things in a way he cannot on a public form.

Another important area of Question 18 is Question 18v. Alcohol and drug related motor vehicle actions. Question 18v asks about a history of “arrests or convictions involving driving while
intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.” This would include arrests or convictions for offenses that were reduced to a lower offense, such as careless driving. This also includes offenses that were expunged by the courts after a certain time period. Pilots who have been ticketed for operating under the influence while driving a golf cart or a boat have also been required to report these offenses. Remember, your signature on the Form authorizes the FAA to search the National Drivers Register.

Do not try to lie or fib or skirt the issue here.... if you are found out... it is major bad voodoo.

Moving on, look at page 28 of 36 and Question 19, which asks questions about medical professionals. If all of your past doctor visits have been routine things with no major medical issues. Then the FAA will say all is good, thanks for telling us about the visits. But if there were visits for particular medical things, then additional explanations about the reason for the visit, and the doctor's findings will be needed.

Now with ALL that said, Mr @aeronav .... you said you
I don't have medical condition, just wanted to be cautious and informative
Which hopefully means you would answer the questions that you are not taking any prescribed medications, none of the boxes for Questions 18a through 18u and 18x will be marked yes, Question 18v is a no, and any doctor visits are just routine things like an annual physical. If that is the case, then there should not be any problems obtaining a third class medical.

However, as hinted at at the beginning, do not go for a "live" FAA medical examination until you are beyond 100% sure you will pass and will be issued your medical certificate before you leave the doctor's office. If there is any questions about your medical past or current medical situation, seek out an AME who will do a consultative visit so that you can review and learn. For more information about a consultative visit, see this post: http://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

I hope this helps you. Do continue to ask questions as you think of them.

Last edited:
@AggieMike88 , Thank you for this great and comprehensive answer, Also my "Informative" was meant to be "Informed", not sure how that came out , tried to edit then but the system gave me an error.

Thank you.

AggieMike88, well put and documented. As someone who recently went through this, I was also considering LSA due to age and afraid if I failed class 3 I could not even get sport. At the advice of the local AME, I filled out medexspress and got a confirmation number. He told me to come in and not give him the number until the exam was over (consultation). After I passed he told me all good and I gave him the number and he gave me my certificate. What he told me ahead of time if I failed it would be a non issue for sport as long as the application was not acted on. After a few months it would self delete from the database.

What bugs me about this whole business is people who advise you that you do not need a medical until solo. While this is true it is very stupid advice, invest all the time and money into lessons only to find out later you are a no go! Just plain dumb

it is very stupid advice, invest all the time and money into lessons only to find out later you are a no go! Just plain dumb
Which shows the importance that we need to take a bit of initiative to disrupt the perpetuation of this bad information.

I am working toward my CFI creds... and one thing I'll be doing when a new student arrives is to have a conversation similar to what I wrote above. So if there is any things that will create a problem during medical certification, it can be dealt with early.

Last edited:
**Update**
Took the first ever flight today (with the instructor of course), I have to say, although I flew ton of flight simulators including MFS, there were some variables I did not anticipate or experience from my computer desk station, starting with the engine vibration, turbulence (which knocks the plane and change its' orientation suddenly) and the need to keep constant watch for outside as well as the 3 or 4 instruments on board. The instructor suggested to me that I go for Private pilot rather than Sport since I may have to redo some of the things like paying insurance and such, but I am still going to continue with just sport training for now I guess.

**Update**
Took the first ever flight today (with the instructor of course), I have to say, although I flew ton of flight simulators including MFS, there were some variables I did not anticipate or experience from my computer desk station, starting with the engine vibration, turbulence (which knocks the plane and change its' orientation suddenly) and the need to keep constant watch for outside as well as the 3 or 4 instruments on board. The instructor suggested to me that I go for Private pilot rather than Sport since I may have to redo some of the things like paying insurance and such, but I am still going to continue with just sport training for now I guess.

When I first started, I was like you the plane was dancing back and forth. Especially during take off, where winds below 500’ at my airport get crazy sometimes. My issue was also compounded because my CFI waited until my 5th lesson to explain the ball and keeping the plane coordinated. I am no CFI but that never should have happened that should have been explained before we ever got in the plane, let alone takeoff #5.

FYI he is also the one who recommended I wait to solo time to obtain my medical. For these and other reasons he is no longer my CFI, just wished I had fired sooner.

**Update**
By the way, if you go to the wind tab in the advanced weather section of MSFS, you can set various levels of turbulence.

**Update II**
Went to the AME today, I asked him to make sure that I am good before I fill out forms, everything went perfect, he checked several things, my vision was 20/20, he told me that I qualify for a 1st class medical, and that's what he ended up giving me, a first class certificate.
Thanks for all the tips.

Last edited:
he told me that I qualify for a 1st class medical, and that's what he ended up giving me, a first class certificate.

1) congrats on obtaining the medical certificate.

2) I am confused why you requested the medical certificate required for Airline Transport Pilot when you originally came here asking about Sport Pilot privileges. Hopefully that doesn't create unnecessary problems in the future.

Suggested reading for you is FAR §61.23, Medical certificates: Requirement and duration

In fact, becoming familiar with both parts 61 and 91 would be good homework for you. You will need to know many items from there for your exams.

Last edited:

2) I am confused why you requested the medical certificate required for Airline Transport Pilot when you originally came here asking about Sport Pilot privileges. Hopefully that doesn't create unnecessary problems in the future.

Suggested reading for you is FAR §61.23, Medical certificates: Requirement and duration

In fact, becoming familiar with both parts 61 and 91 would be good homework for you. You will need to know many items from there for your exams.

If he's under 35, and has no medical condition that would require a special issuance, there really isn't much different (just vision requirements) between the 1st and 3rd class medical. A first class conveys all of the privileges of a third class. If it doesn't cost more, why not?

Thank you, Since our last conversation I did more research and decided that there is no real future for sport pilot other than fun, I then tried to dedicate my focus on getting at least a private pilot certification where I at least have an option to be an agriculture pilot or something similar, I thought it is better for me to use my flying as another source of income from time to time rather than just spending, getting the 1st class is what the doctor suggested , and I didn't say no. Barring accidents in future, I know now that in 5 years (which is when my medical expires) even if my vision weakened, it will be at least good enough for a 3rd class medical in the future.

You can make money with a SP?
Sure. Sport Pilot CFI lets you give instruction, doesn't even require a medical. And as a bonus, the national convention of Sport Pilot CFIs probably only needs a single table for the big dinner, no need to rent out a hall.

Sure. Sport Pilot CFI lets you give instruction, doesn't even require a medical. And as a bonus, the national convention of Sport Pilot CFIs probably only needs a single table for the big dinner, no need to rent out a hall.

But you can’t be a sport CFI with only a SP cert.

Something is fishy.

You're under 40. So... for whatever reason you have a First Class Medical and no pilot's certificate. In 12 months your Medical will revert to Third class. There's no conceivable way you'll have needed First Class in that time period.

And 7 posts to date.

But you can’t be a sport CFI with only a SP cert.
Au contraire, mon frère. Sport pilot cert, 150 hours.

The applicant must hold a sport pilot or higher pilot certificate with the category and class privileges as appropriate to the flight instructor privileges sought.

Something is fishy.

You're under 40. So... for whatever reason you have a First Class Medical and no pilot's certificate. In 12 months your Medical will revert to Third class. There's no conceivable way you'll have needed First Class in that time period.

And 7 posts to date.
What's his post count got to do with it? If the 1st class medical didn't cost him any more than the 3rd, why not do it? I can't think of any disadvantage to having it.

What's his post count got to do with it? If the 1st class medical didn't cost him any more than the 3rd, why not do it? I can't think of any disadvantage to having it.

In five years, when they go from 12 months first, 48 months third, and end up with renewing... which to renew? Or will he get worthless first class renewals every 12 months?

There is just no logic in it.

In five years, when they go from 12 months first, 48 months third, and end up with renewing... which to renew? Or will he get worthless first class renewals every 12 months?

There is just no logic in it.
Once the AME told him that he was qualified for a first class certificate, what's the downside of having it?

Thank you, Since our last conversation I did more research and decided that there is no real future for sport pilot other than fun, I then tried to dedicate my focus on getting at least a private pilot certification where I at least have an option to be an agriculture pilot or something similar, I thought it is better for me to use my flying as another source of income from time to time rather than just spending, getting the 1st class is what the doctor suggested , and I didn't say no. Barring accidents in future, I know now that in 5 years (which is when my medical expires) even if my vision weakened, it will be at least good enough for a 3rd class medical in the future.
A private pilot certificate will not be sufficient to use for flying as a source of income. You will need a commercial or higher pilot certificate.

Last edited:
I am guessing that reason which led the AME to suggest a 1st class to me was (in addition to me being qualified for it) to make a point to me that I was worrying too much about not passing the 3rd class medical. 1st class medical expires in 6 months only for the use that requires 1st class, but it is good for 5 years for the use that requires a 3rd class medical as described here : https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...s/aam/ame/guide/app_process/general/validity/, I won't get a first class next time,I am not expecting to reach ATP level anyways.

Back