How to fly from SYR to ART?

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
Assuming VOR/DME equipment, no GPS. On the low alt charts V29 goes from SYR to ART using radial 018 from SYR. If I wanted to do the VOR 7 approach into KART, SYR is shown on the plate as an IAF but the radial to the VOR approach is 010 from SYR to WUMSO. How do I bridge this discrepancy or transition from the 018 degree en-route to the 010 degree VOR approach entry?

You don’t. You get a clearance that says SYR WUMSO. If you don’t and they insist on giving you V29, then you can start the Approach from ART, it’s an IAF also. There’s always vectors of course.

I'll land at ART in November. I do every year the week before Thanksgiving to go deer hunting. Someday I'll land at ART in MY plane but its a looooong way from Arizona.

You don’t. You get a clearance that says SYR WUMSO. If you don’t and they insist on giving you V29, then you can start the Approach from ART, it’s an IAF also. There’s always vectors of course.

For the LOC 07 approach you can file SYR HENDI. There are published transitions from SYR to the LOC or VOR approach IFs. If you file to ART you will have to do the full course reversal for either approach, or ATC will just send you on vectors to one of the IFs anyway to avoid wasting time and fuel. The ILS at ART used to have a neat teardrop course reversal from the ART VOR, but that has been replaced I see. Haven't been there in a long time.

For the LOC 07 approach you can file SYR HENDI. There are published transitions from SYR to the LOC or VOR approach IFs. If you file to ART you will have to do the full course reversal for either approach, or ATC will just send you on vectors to one of the IFs anyway to avoid wasting time and fuel. The ILS at ART used to have a neat teardrop course reversal from the ART VOR, but that has been replaced I see. Haven't been there in a long time.

ART ZIRAX and the arc to the Localizer isn’t much different than a Teardrop. No terrain that I can see out there that would prevent just a good ol’ PT. Was WOLLS a LOM back then? Probably decommissioning the NDB is why the change.

Got it for the LOC and ILS. The issue was just with the VOR approach. With only VOR equipment and no GPS my understanding was that I had to fly airways, since that'd be my means of navigation (no direct). Since direct WUMSO is out of the question I guess there is no way to use the SYR IAF coming from the south and I would have to go to the ART VOR and do the course reversal even if coming from the south.

No vectors allowed. This is an exercise in instrument training and correct procedures so we wouldn't want to cheat...

Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

Got it for the LOC and ILS. The issue was just with the VOR approach. With only VOR equipment and no GPS my understanding was that I had to fly airways, since that'd be my means of navigation (no direct). Since direct WUMSO is out of the question I guess there is no way to use the SYR IAF coming from the south and I would have to go to the ART VOR and do the course reversal even if coming from the south.

No vectors allowed. This is an exercise in instrument training and correct procedures so we wouldn't want to cheat...

Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

It ain’t about ‘direct’ WUMSO. SYR WUMSO is a published segement. It’s the SYR 010 degree radial, it’s 39.9 miles and the minimum altitude is 3000.

When planning IFR one typically files to an IAF of the destination airport. In this case an IAF is the SYR VOR, and from there you have a published transition to the IF. If I were filing and wanted to suggest I didn't want to go to ART and fly the reversal I would file the segment to WUMSO as well. In the end it won't matter because ATC will probably send you on vectors for the ILS/LOC unless you specifically request something else for training purposes. Even if you file KSYR SYR V29 ART KART you will still get vectored at some point.

If flying from the Syracuse airport, your flight plan could look sparse: KSYR SYR KART or KSYR SYR WUMSO KART. I think any of the above flight plans would be accepted into the system.

It went out a long way over the lake, maybe as far out as the current DME transition. I flew that procedure a few times training for the IR.

How far out did that Teardrop Procedure take you? It’d be interesting to see the old Chart. Sounds like you remember the numbers on it.

Well if I fly a teardrop at 100 knots it will take me about 3-4 minutes(1 minute outbound, 180 turn, leg inbound), give or take(dont feel like doing the exact math). For the arc at 100 knots, the leg from ART to ZIRAX alone will take about 7-8 minutes.

Well if I fly a teardrop at 100 knots it will take me about 3-4 minutes(1 minute outbound, 180 turn, leg inbound), give or take(dont feel like doing the exact math). For the arc at 100 knots, the leg from ART to ZIRAX alone will take about 7-8 minutes.

Gotcha. Sometimes those Teardrop Procedures have a definite fix you have to fly out to. If it had that I doubt it was close enough to get to in 1 minute outbound at a hundred knots. Starting at ART it's about 2.6 miles before you even get abeam WOLLS, the FAF, outbound.

Back