LoLPilot's Private Checkride

LoLPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoLPilot
This may get lengthy. I apologize in advance.

I passed my checkride today. This was the culmination of three years of work, but the journey that brought me here began long before that. My grandpa was a WWII naval aviator. An Avenger tail gunner, to be precise. After he got out of the Navy he took lessons in a Piper J3 Cub. Then my dad was born, and that was that. When I was little my grandparents watched me while my parents were at work. My great grandma lived in Cahokia, Illinois, and my grandparents went to visit her. They brought me along. She just so happened to live near Parks Air College. Grandpa would take me to Parks to watch the pilots train there. This was in the early 90's, before Saint Louis University closed the old Parks campus. I loved airplanes. Then one day I got home from school and saw a burning fuel slick on the news. A TWA 747, Flight 800, had exploded over the Atlantic Ocean. That image, and the reporter saying that some of the passengers may have survived the explosion to plummet 13,000 feet to the water below, stuck with me and made me terrified of aviation. I had my first airplane flight a year later and was convinced that I was going to die the entire time.

Fast forward twenty years. A long term relationship was ending and my ex had a number of things that I could do a lot better on. I examined them closely and realized she was right about one thing - I had a real problem facing my fears. I was also entering my PhD program, which would require a lot of travel. A lot of air travel. My brother in law told me that maybe I should call a flight school and schedule a discovery flight, so that I could learn how the machines operated. He thought that might ease my fear of flying a bit. I did that, and I took my first ever general aviation ride in a Piper Tomahawk, that was probably a bit overloaded, in summer of 2014. After we got about 1000 AGL and the shaking from the thermals stopped I looked out of the canopy and the instructor said, "you take the controls and fly a bit. I'll help you where you need it." And I was hooked. In April, 2015 I took my introductory flight at what would become my flight school. I once again repeated to myself, "the machine wants to fly, the machine wants to fly, the machine wants to fly," as 737WQ lurched and bucked in thermals. Three and a half years and two CFI's later I flew that same plane on my checkride.

I wore a baseball cap that my grandpa gave me today. I pulled up to my school and had to dry my eyes a bit before I went in. I got an abbreviated weather briefing and did the wind correction for my nav plan. I double checked the airplane logs and my log books. By then WQ had returned from her lesson flight she was on and was refueled. I went out and went over the plane with a fine toothed comb. I checked the avionics on the ground and asked our mechanics about a few missing screws on the engine cowl. Before I went inside I asked her to be as good to me today as she was to me on my first day three years ago.

I triple checked my nav, reviewed my airspace requirements, ate a couple of energy bars and sat down to wait. My examiner got caught in a traffic jam and was a few minutes behind. We sat down and we first went over my paperwork and my logbook. Then we sat down with the airplane logbooks and made sure she was truly legal to fly. These were the first freebies he gave me. The mechanics try to keep a sheet in the logbooks that has all of the current inspection times on it. They didn't all sync up and so we had to dig through the logs. Lesson: Do long-hand checks of aircraft logs. Times I felt stupid count: 1.

Next up we talked about the weather. I had found through my briefings that the President was in Kansas City today, and there was a TFR at our destination. However, it was due to end before our scheduled arrival. There was also one over us on Thursday. Very good. We went over METAR's and TAF's. Then we dug into the chart and my nav plan. He asked me about my wind correction, how I arrived at my fuel burn numbers, and why I chose my route. He liked that I gave myself a higher fuel burn than the chart said. I told him I know I don't lean the engine out as well as Cessna's test pilots could, and I figure at worst it makes me stop for fuel sooner. We went over our fuel minimums and he liked that I didn't want to fly with less than an hour of reserve time in the tanks. He drilled into the chart some more until he got me hung up on a question, and it's one we went over in ground prep with my CFI! Times I felt stupid count: 2. Then we talked about the mechanics of the airplane, and I think he quickly figured out that I was a total gearhead. He switched topics pretty quickly. Aeromedical factors. Once again I did well. He said he was satisfied. Let's go fly.

He was fairly quiet on my preflight. He just watched everything I did. We did my pattern work first. First up was the short field takeoff and landing. I did well on hitting Vx and Vy, but we were heavy and so I rode the mains on the runway a bit longer than I would have liked after rotation. I aimed at the numbers and for the first time in my life I touched down just before my target. I remained silent and he said, "carb heat off, flaps 10, give me a soft field takeoff." My soft field takeoff was good. On approach I called out a stable approach and he said, "I'm old. Make this one nice and soft for me." Got a nice chirp and held the nose off. He said, "flaps up, carb heat cold, let's go on our cross country." Pattern work complete.

Did my climb and cruise checklists and started the clock. He didn't want me to use my stopwatch and had me use the plane's chronograph. I was early to my first checkpoint and then near my second he said, "those are some big clouds ahead. We better divert. Where should we go?" I pointed out where my "planned diversion" was on my chart. We were about 18 miles away and could be there in less than 10 minutes. He said let's go there. This is where the colossal freebie started. It was evening. The airport that I picked was one I'd been to before. It wasn't lighted and didn't have a beacon, and we had used up 15 minutes of daylight in the pattern before heading out. So I circled, looking for an airport I knew was hiding from me in the fading light. He kept asking where we were. I knew where we were because I recognized a factory. He later told me that we were circling right over the field, but it was on his side of the plane. I couldn't see it when I looked down over the gear on my side. I confirmed our position with a VOR fix and told him where my second choice was. It was lighted but he said that's okay. You do know where we are. Consider time of day when you pick diversions. I had been told that I would make a massive blunder on my checkride and I did everything to avoid it. I made a massive blunder anyway but he gave me the freebie.

Next was airwork. Stalls. He didn't let me take them to full break but also didn't like that I become an instrument-monger during stalls. I stare at the coordinator and airspeed indicator like a hawk. He wanted me to look outside and catch the wing based on my sight picture. Next was steep turns. I trimmed in and held altitude. Sometimes I fought for that and I think I hit my own wake rolling from the right turn to the left turn. He said he wanted to fly. I said ok. He said, "Look, I'm old. I don't like to work near as hard as you did there." He rolled the plane into a 45 degree bank, trimmed it and took his hands off the controls, just keeping coordinated with the rudder. He said, "see I like it to fly itself." Then we did instruments and slow flight, and then he told me head back to the airport, and by the way your engine is on fire. So I busted out the engine fire checklist. Mixture off, fuel off, emergency descent. He said, "okay fire went out. Why don't you try restarting?" I told him something caused the fire and restarting was too risky. He said good answer, so what are you going to do? I told him I'm going to that field right there. At that point he said, "Go around and let's head home." We talked a bit about my long term aviation goals on the way back. Once we got on downwind he said, "give yourself an engine failure." I pulled power and announced the power off 180. That was a drill my first CFI did to me a couple of times to entice me to fly tight patterns. It was even a pretty touchdown. We taxied back and shut down. He said, "your diversion was pretty awful. Don't choose unlighted airports without nearby navaids for evening flights. You knew where we were the whole time, but you couldn't find it." That was when he told me he saw where we were on ForeFlight and saw the airport beneath us. Then he said, "But I'm comfortable to say you passed. Congratulations."

I already have follow up lessons with my CFI. I texted my CFI (who is out of town), my girlfriend, and my parents. On the way home I called my grandparents and told them. I also texted my first CFI, but I haven't heard back. He went to the airlines before I finished. I plan on pursuing my complex, high performance, and tailwheel endorsements while slowly beginning work on my Instrument rating. That's a ways down the road.

A few cool things about today. I didn't say anything earlier, because I didn't want to jinx it. Today was three years to the day from my first solo flight. I did not realize that when I picked the date, and my CFI suggested it based on the DPE's availability. He just said, "Do you want a Monday, a Tuesday or a Wednesday?" I picked the Tuesday. I saw it later when I was going through my photos in my phone and saw a picture of my shirt tail from that day.

Today was also Amelia Earhart's birthday.

The plane I flew today was the first C172 I ever flew, and she was the plane I did my introductory flight in. She received her airworthiness certificate on my birthday, 11 years before I was born.

Thanks for all your help. Here's to many more.

Awesome write up!

And happy to heard you have additional time planned with your instructor... this is a perfect time to work on items that make you a better and safer pilot in long run.

Great write up. I’ve seen licensed pilots make the lighted airport mistake when their day ran longer than the available daylight. Weather delays, whatever... oh wait, that airport is dark... :)

Don’t beat yourself up too much over it. You had a backup plan past Plan B, and sometimes you’ll need Plans C, D, E, and F or more, before something works in your favor.

Congrats!

Awesome write up!

And happy to heard you have additional time planned with your instructor... this is a perfect time to work on items that make you a better and safer pilot in long run.

Thanks! As I started studying I realized that this was like when I graduated high school, and I realized that what I knew paled in comparison to what I didn't. Same feeling when I graduated college. Same feeling now. It's odd, but I feel less accomplished and more like a little kid that just stepped outside the door. Kind of like when Obi-Wan tells Luke, "You've just taken your first step into a larger world."

Great write up. I’ve seen licensed pilots make the lighted airport mistake when their day ran longer than the available daylight. Weather delays, whatever... oh wait, that airport is dark... :)

Don’t beat yourself up too much over it. You had a backup plan past Plan B, and sometimes you’ll need Plans C, D, E, and F or more, before something works in your favor.

Congrats!

Thanks! For a moment I really thought I'd had it there but when I rattled off I know what that town is, I can confirm that I'm along this line from the VOR radial. I know where there is a lighted airport and I'm turning to it now.

For a "private checkride" you seem rather public about it. ;)

Congrats!

Awesome write up. Like he said, you may have picked a poor diversion, but you were situationally aware the whole time, and could have easily found another place to land (said you had a VOR and obviously a sectional). Now go find you a flying buddy and go log some fair weather cross country. Then you can safety pilot for each other! Start your IFR and you'll soon realize that your PPL is literally a license to learn.

Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your write up.

I'm not sure I would call it a colossal freebie or that you made a massive blunder in your choice of the airport for a diversion. You knew where you were, you were never in any danger, and you knew where to go to land safely. If anything it showed him that even when things don't go the way you thought they would (and there will be other times that they won't) that you can keep your head, not panic, and find another option to get on the ground safely. Well done.

What a moving writeup!
Sounds like you handled the pressure like a pro. Blunders didn't sound "massive" to me in the slightest.

Nice to hear that the examiner had useful advice and shared it (in a non-failure-connected kind of way). I bet it's advice you'll *never* forget! I can't remember much from my private checkride, except the moment at the end when we were on the ground and he told me I'd passed, and I tempted fate by saying "So, any advice?" and he said, "Slow down. There's no need to go barreling around the pattern at 90 knots."

CONGRATS!!

I was also entering my PhD program, which would require a lot of travel. A lot of air travel.

BTW, what's your PhD topic that would require a lot of air travel?

Congratulations on a massive achievement and thank you for sharing!

I took almost 3 years to complete my PPL as well and at times it seemed the training would never end. In the end it felt a bigger accomplishment than all my graduate degrees. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up...this (and getting help with answers for questions I have) is why I joined POA.
Loved reading it and it was not too long.

Just had two questions, what was the question that "hung you up" and that you had gone over before?

Also, what did you mean by "riding the mains"?

Sounds like you did great. I started in 2016, similar story to yours, grew up with a father that was a pilot, and spent a lot of my childhood in airports. Always wanted to fly, but never had the money until now.

I'm in the process. Right now five of seven planes in the flight club are grounded, and since it is summer in Norway where everyone is on vacation, it's taking a while to fix them. The two that are not grounded are not suitable for students. Veteran planes, tailwheel.

Very much enjoyed your writing and experiences. Thanks! And congratulations!!

Congratulations!!
Becoming a pilot is a wonderful achievement.
Loved the write up.
Before you start pursuing all those other ratings, go up flying and have some fun. :)

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I teach my students to roll inverted when they can't find a checkpoint/airport. You should have rolled inverted and said to the DPE "there she is"!
Nah, I'm lying. I don't do that. A couple of minor boo boos but sounds like nothing terribly deficient. As far as the oral, they'll eventually stump you on a question. No biggie as long as you answer the majority correctly. Nice write up, and back story. I'm sure your grandpa is looking down with a grin and feeling proud of ya.

Last edited:
Great write up...this (and getting help with answers for questions I have) is why I joined POA.
Loved reading it and it was not too long.

Just had two questions, what was the question that "hung you up" and that you had gone over before?

Also, what did you mean by "riding the mains"?

Sounds like you did great. I started in 2016, similar story to yours, grew up with a father that was a pilot, and spent a lot of my childhood in airports. Always wanted to fly, but never had the money until now.

I'm in the process. Right now five of seven planes in the flight club are grounded, and since it is summer in Norway where everyone is on vacation, it's taking a while to fix them. The two that are not grounded are not suitable for students. Veteran planes, tailwheel.

Very much enjoyed your writing and experiences. Thanks! And congratulations!!

I bet Norway is beautiful from the air! It was a question about where I could get ATC help to land at an untowered airport when you were far away from any towered airport. My instructor and I had gone over a similar question in one of my mocks and I got it right, but this was a little bit different scenario. For some reason I didn't put it together that it was the same answer. Once again, the info was right on the chart staring me in the face but I looked right past it!

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I teach my students to roll inverted when they can't find a checkpoint/airport. You should have rolled inverted and said to the DPE "there she is"!
Nah, I'm lying. I don't do that. A couple of minor boo boos but sounds like nothing terribly deficient. As far as the oral, they'll eventually stump you on a question. No biggie as long as you answer the majority correctly. Nice write, and back story. I'm sure your grandpa is looking down with a grin and feeling proud of ya.

@mscard88 haha he didn't like how aggressive I was with my steep turns so I'm sure he'd have loved me rolling the plane over! The best part of this is that I got it done while I can still tell. Grandpa I did it. He's 93 now. I am disappointed that he probably won't be able to fly with me but I got to tell him I passed last night. :)

@mscard88 haha he didn't like how aggressive I was with my steep turns so I'm sure he'd have loved me rolling the plane over! The best part of this is that I got it done while I can still tell. Grandpa I did it. He's 93 now. I am disappointed that he probably won't be able to fly with me but I got to tell him I passed last night. :)

Oops, my bad, sorry. I thought you had written that he had passed. Sorry. Hopefully y'all can find a way to get him up with you for a flight.,

......... So I busted out the engine fire checklist. Mixture off, fuel off, emergency descent. He said, "okay fire went out. Why don't you try restarting?" I told him something caused the fire and restarting was too risky. He said good answer, so what are you going to do? I told him I'm going to that field right there. At that point he said, "Go around and let's head home.".......

Ya did it, way to go. That reminded me of mine. Wasn’t a fire, he just pulled the throttle. Did all the stuff, picked a spot and said I’m gonna land there. He said something like that’s not a bad one but I think I’d land at that airport over there. We were about 5 miles from CRQ, a 5000 foot runway.

Congrats, I think they like to stump you once in a while to see how you handle it. That diversion field is a good point, for some reason I never really thought unlit vs lit before. Also good to have a back up (plan c) to the back up, I think that really helped on it not being a major issue.

I want an apology! That was way too short!

Nice job Captain.

Im already researching the Part 61 Instrument requirements.

Don’t forget to go enjoy a little flying before diving into the Instrument. :)

All you get to see during the Instrument is the inside of a hood and a bunch of post-it notes that your jerk instructor brought along. :)

You're not allowed to start the instrument until you've experimentally researched all the top "lunch airports" within 100 NM, have logbook entries demonstrating same, and have made an appropriate lunch recommendation/report to an online forum.
(I'm pretty sure that's in Part 61 somewhere? Can't remember exactly where, though.) :) :)

Don’t forget to go enjoy a little flying before diving into the Instrument. :)

All you get to see during the Instrument is the inside of a hood and a bunch of post-it notes that your jerk instructor brought along. :)

Well I'm going to try and get my complex, high performance, tailwheel, and spin endorsements as well as do some acro training with the tailwheel and spin instructor. I flew with him before my checkride on a practice flight and he demonstrated a spin for me. I completely froze when the thing rolled over and nosed down and I'm pretty sure I would not have survived the experience had he not been there. He seemed completely unfazed by it all, so now I want to master that. I just have some appointments with my own instructor in fixed gear 172's, so I figure why not start getting some of my instrument instruction I need while doing that?

You're not allowed to start the instrument until you've experimentally researched all the top "lunch airports" within 100 NM, have logbook entries demonstrating same, and have made an appropriate lunch recommendation/report to an online forum.
(I'm pretty sure that's in Part 61 somewhere? Can't remember exactly where, though.) :) :)

I need two sectionals to do that! St. Louis is on both the Kansas City and St. Louis sectional charts. I am going to try and frame the chart I used last night so that when I graduate and get an office (the sign that one has arrived as an academic - you get your own office) I can hang it in there.

Congrats again...and great write-up.

I missed getting my dad up in the plane by just a couple of months. If you have any window at all, do it now!

If you indeed want to get some cross country time, you should seriously consider visiting the Historical site of the first official KY DAM fly-in.
I could meet you there and buy us some lunch.

Also, @cowman mentioned meeting in St. Louis. I'm sure he'd love to buy us both lunch sometime :)

It’s all good @LoLPilot. I was just saying don’t forget to take a flight or three to “stop and smell the roses”.

Flying around VFR and just heading for “hey that looks interesting over there...” is fun.

Just stay outta any airspace you shouldn’t be poking into without clearances and take a flight to just enjoy the view. :)

One flight that will serve really well for a long time that gets a bit neglected is a flight to go look at landmarks near airspace edges. Like around here it took me years to realize the edge of the Bravo shelf has some very prominent landmarks.

I really only started paying attention to it when I went for the CFI. Nice to know by just looking out the window that the student is about to bust the Bravo shelf altitude. :)

I think anyone at any certificate level can be helped by that sort of flight to specifically focus on “where’s the edge of the airspace limits in my area and what do I see on the ground when coming up to them”.

Just a thought for something “fun” to go do with that wet new ticket!

Don’t forget to find a first passenger to take up, too. It’s interesting knowing you’re truly PIC and responsible for their safety. :)

Also, @cowman mentioned meeting in St. Louis. I'm sure he'd love to buy us both lunch sometime :)

I've been itching to go to ALN for dinner for the past month but they still can't figure out what's wrong with my alternator so I'm grounded unfortunately.

Congratulation!!!!

ps: you can change your avatar pic now ;)

Back