Washougal Wa. Motocross First IFR to KTTD Portland troutdale

Wade

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Maxcat
I just got my IFR done last Sunday and planning on filing my first solo IFR flight to KTTD and catching the Washougal motocross race this Saturday.

Anybody familiar with KTTD? Is there a coutesy car etc. ? Or any other airports or sites near washougal I should check out.

TTD is the closest airport "as the crow flies" to Washougal, just about directly across the river. But the bridge is about ten miles to the west, so you're backtracking. KPDX and KVUO are both closer by road. Being a big airline terminal, there are plenty of IFR approaches and rental cars at KPDX. No courtesy car or rentals at KVUO; you'd have to have Enterprise come pick you up and take you to their office on E. Mill Plain Blvd. in Vancouver.

Grove Field (1W1) is the closest airport to Washougal, only about five miles away. I don't know what transportation options are at Grove; maybe Uber is the best bet.

KVUO has a published instrument approach, an LDA that uses the KPDX 10L localizer. If KPDX is in a west traffic flow, that approach is not available. Instead, if ceiling is 1500 or better and visibility at least 3 miles, you can use the KPDX VOR-A which comes in from the north via BTG VORTAC, and break off well north of the river and go VFR to KVUO.

Grove has no published approach.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! Racing motocross was my main passion before I picked up flying. Watched Tomac since he was on 85s. Remember seeing him out here in AZ at Speedworld when he was on 85s. Crazy fast. I still miss Stewart...always thought it was really sad to see him sort of just disappear from the sport. Racing was never the same without him.

Can’t commit yet but I might be able to meet you and give you a ride to the track. Maybe back to the airport also. Maybe stay and watch the race. Maybe leave a car at the airport for you to use. Keep looking at other things. I’ll get back to you.

I
TTD is the closest airport "as the crow flies" to Washougal, just about directly across the river. But the bridge is about ten miles to the west, so you're backtracking. KPDX and KVUO are both closer by road. Being a big airline terminal, there are plenty of IFR approaches and rental cars at KPDX. No courtesy car or rentals at KVUO; you'd have to have Enterprise come pick you up and take you to their office on E. Mill Plain Blvd. in Vancouver.

Grove Field (1W1) is the closest airport to Washougal, only about five miles away. I don't know what transportation options are at Grove; maybe Uber is the best bet.

KVUO has a published instrument approach, an LDA that uses the KPDX 10L localizer. If KPDX is in a west traffic flow, that approach is not available. Instead, if ceiling is 1500 or better and visibility at least 3 miles, you can use the KPDX VOR-A which comes in from the north via BTG VORTAC, and break off well north of the river and go VFR to KVUO.

Grove has no published approach.

Thanks for the Pirep. I have to admit I'm still a little intimidated to go fly right into the middle of all the heavies at PDX. So that's why I chose KPPT because flying a arrival to the Rnav should be pretty easy.

Although the weather should be VFR and if their landing 28 I might not be able to resist the Mill visual approach for a TNG.

Sounds like fun! Racing motocross was my main passion before I picked up flying. Watched Tomac since he was on 85s. Remember seeing him out here in AZ at Speedworld when he was on 85s. Crazy fast. I still miss Stewart...always thought it was really sad to see him sort of just disappear from the sport. Racing was never the same without him.

I raced a lot of motocross as a kid and I have the scars to prove it. I still love watching it but gave up riding as I don't care to ever break another bone if possible. If I was Tomac I would punt Musquin off the track every chance I had after the takeout in SX. I like Roczen I can't believe he is riding so well after destroying both arms.

I wish they would go to one class with a 350cc limit so there was a deeper field and better racing. It would be cool to see the young crazy rookie guys racing with the main 450 guys.

I raced a lot of motocross as a kid and I have the scars to prove it. I still love watching it but gave up riding as I don't care to ever break another bone if possible. If I was Tomac I would punt Musquin off the track every chance I had after the takeout in SX. I like Roczen I can't believe he is riding so well after destroying both arms.

I wish they would go to one class with a 350cc limit so there was a deeper field and better racing. It would be cool to see the young crazy rookie guys racing with the main 450 guys.

Ha yea, its a brutal sport. I sold my bike about a year ago, but only to help pay for my ratings. It was a sad day - I've had a bike since I was 5. I will get another one someday though.

Motocross has changed a lot over the years. Even on a local level. The problem with going to one class is you would be limiting an already very competitive field I think. Moto is such a brutal sport to make a living at. I think the two classes gives the younger guys a shot at actually developing at the professional level.

It always cracks me up, cause French riders are known for dirty riding like that. David Vuillemen was king of that haha. I really like Eli Tomac - he has to be one of the most level headed and respectful riders out there. I'm not typically a big fan of foreign riders, but I have always like Roczen. Unbelievable rider and I have no idea how he is still competitive after all his injuries. I keep hoping Jeffrey Herlings will come over from Europe and race over here. That guy is insane. A lot of speculation that says he would sweep the field, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Nah the Marv/tomac take out is part of racing. I hate when the pro's whine like that, it is what it is. Sure tomac needs to take him out as I dont like marv but then again I didnt mind or think it was dirty. Whatever it takes to win. You know who I cant stand too is Reed, he ****ed me off last year with dungey.

I raced all my life until about 10 years ago. I would love to get a bike but Im too old and have spent some time in the hospital and know what pain feels like. Sooooo ill just watch the young guys have fun.

My dad raced till he was in his early 50s!

I’ve never been a Reed fan either

My dad raced till he was in his early 50s!

I’ve never been a Reed fan either

I think if you stay active in it in you can keep on. Im 40 but my mind and body thinks its 25. So I would go out tomorrow like I had been racing without a break and kill myself. hahaha guaranteed!

There's some great practical info on these airports (and others in the PNW) on this site:

http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/index.php?board=17.0

I flew into KTTD and they had a comfy pilot lounge and rental car was waiting (I called ahead). I'd go back again.

I've also used Atlantic at KPDX. Call ahead to get fuel minimums and handling fees. I did, both were reasonable (fee waived with purchase of 20 gallons), and they treated me and my 172N with respect. Their crew car was a brand new Taurus. With leather.

I too was a racer up until about 8 years ago when my son was born. Trying to get him into it so we can do it together, but he’s just not interested. In fact, we flew out to the Atlanta SX back in Mar/Apr, for the second time. He was bored by time opening ceremonies finished. :-(

Stewart was never the same after stepping up from the 125. All hype and guaranteed to crash out (just like Pastrana). Once RC retired, he just seemed to lose focus and, as you said, fade away.

I too was a racer up until about 8 years ago when my son was born. Trying to get him into it so we can do it together, but he’s just not interested. In fact, we flew out to the Atlanta SX back in Mar/Apr, for the second time. He was bored by time opening ceremonies finished. :-(

Stewart was never the same after stepping up from the 125. All hype and guaranteed to crash out (just like Pastrana). Once RC retired, he just seemed to lose focus and, as you said, fade away.

Wow really? I'd think an 8 year old boy would love the races.

I'd say he was never the same once he got off the Kawi. He did win several championships on big bikes after all (both Supercross and Nationals...and several MX of Nations as well). Stewart was a very polarizing figure in MX - it's probably why I liked him so much. Your right - once RC retired he went down hill. Perhaps the fame and money got to him (judging by his reality TV show, etc). I still think it is sad that he sort of stepped away from the sport with no warning. Just faded away.

I always though Ryan Villopoto retired too early. I thought he had a lot left in him. It was a real shocker when I heard he was retiring. I don't blame him - he stepped away at the top of his game. I never cared for RV...seemed like he had a rather boring personality and he definitely viewed the sport as a job. That said, I definitely respected him. Incredible rider.

Wow I too am surprised an 8 year old wouldn't be all over it. Maybe once he gets on a bike it would be different?

How did you like the triple crown format in person? My wife and I were planning on going to that this year but missed out. Next year we are going no matter what! Haha

There's some great practical info on these airports (and others in the PNW) on this site:

http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/index.php?board=17.0

I flew into KTTD and they had a comfy pilot lounge and rental car was waiting (I called ahead). I'd go back again.

I've also used Atlantic at KPDX. Call ahead to get fuel minimums and handling fees. I did, both were reasonable (fee waived with purchase of 20 gallons), and they treated me and my 172N with respect. Their crew car was a brand new Taurus. With leather.

did you use george winds aviation at KTTD?

Nah the Marv/tomac take out is part of racing. I hate when the pro's whine like that, it is what it is. Sure tomac needs to take him out as I dont like marv but then again I didnt mind or think it was dirty. Whatever it takes to win. You know who I cant stand too is Reed, he ****ed me off last year with dungey.

I raced all my life until about 10 years ago. I would love to get a bike but Im too old and have spent some time in the hospital and know what pain feels like. Sooooo ill just watch the young guys have fun.

I have been on both sides of the takeouts and have had the fist fights afterwards. Ive gotten T-Boned in the first turn by the same guy I ruined the previous moto at a Loretta Lynn qualifier and this was in the 125 JR class Lol. What I don't like is Marvin not owning up to it and just saying yeah I did it and he better not leave the inside open or I'll do it again. The key is if you do take someone out you better be faster than them or grow eyes in the back of your head.

Never been a Reed fan he is a whiner that trashs any bike he is on and has a excuse for eveything. I loved it when Bubba was on his 125 and stopped mid moto let him pass him then proceeded to moto out of his life again.

Ha yea, its a brutal sport. I sold my bike about a year ago, but only to help pay for my ratings. It was a sad day - I've had a bike since I was 5. I will get another one someday though.

Motocross has changed a lot over the years. Even on a local level. The problem with going to one class is you would be limiting an already very competitive field I think. Moto is such a brutal sport to make a living at. I think the two classes gives the younger guys a shot at actually developing at the professional level.

It always cracks me up, cause French riders are known for dirty riding like that. David Vuillemen was king of that haha. I really like Eli Tomac - he has to be one of the most level headed and respectful riders out there. I'm not typically a big fan of foreign riders, but I have always like Roczen. Unbelievable rider and I have no idea how he is still competitive after all his injuries. I keep hoping Jeffrey Herlings will come over from Europe and race over here. That guy is insane. A lot of speculation that says he would sweep the field, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Herlings vs Tomac at Unadilla would be awesome to watch if they both started up front. Herlings would be tough outdoors but would be on a stretcher by round three in SX.

Wow I too am surprised an 8 year old wouldn't be all over it. Maybe once he gets on a bike it would be different?

How did you like the triple crown format in person? My wife and I were planning on going to that this year but missed out. Next year we are going no matter what! Haha

I had him riding with me on a 70 since he was about 6 months old in a baby carrier that strapped to my chest. We moved away after his 3rd birthday and he didn’t get to ride for about 4 yrs. after moving back to the country, last summer, we bought him a 50. He rode it around the house for a while (usually with me chasing him on the 70), but grew bored with it. Local track is too sandy for a little bike, but they’re working on a peewee track. Hopefully it’ll be ready this fall and I can get him out there with other kids. Maybe that’ll stir up some enthusiasm.

I wasn’t a fan of the TC. Don’t really feel like the pool is deep enough in talent to justify it. I forget the results, but it just seemed like 3 identical races of different lengths. I got what they were going for, but it just didn’t provide the shake up they wanted...at least to me. 5 years ago, we might’ve seen Short win some races...or Bubba win more when he was touted as “the fastest man alive!” Or Pastrana before he would have had a chance to knock himself out. Lol

But we all know the top 3 will be tomac, roczen, and Marv. Sigh...

...You mean Roczen, Marv, and Tomac...? :) (I kid, Tomac will mop up the floor with everybody there too)

I get it. I took the kids to see the Minneaoplis Supercross two years ago. When the race starts, it's exciting. After three laps, they're catching the back of the pack. After that, it just looks like people riding together out there, who knows what is going on. It was hard for me to follow, if I looked away from the leaders. I can imagine somebody without as much knowledge of the sport not enjoying it as much.
I'm not typically a big fan of foreign riders, but I have always like Roczen. Unbelievable rider and I have no idea how he is still competitive after all his injuries. I keep hoping Jeffrey Herlings will come over from Europe and race over here. That guy is insane. A lot of speculation that says he would sweep the field, but I'm not sure I believe it.

I really liked how Roczen was kicking tootie, and came in to the supercross season with swagger, in a suit. He was likeable, I became a fan. I can't believe how bad ass he is coming back from that horrificness.

Herlings is the real deal. I think instead of Ellie running away from the pack, Herlings will match his speed; sometimes faster, sometimes not. When last Herlings came to the USA, he did very well (Ironman National, 2017).

I still ride motocross fairly regularly. I am not sure I want the kids to follow me. It's a dangerous sport. All of us have been to the hospital from it, at LEAST once, am I right, riders?

I still ride motocross fairly regularly. I am not sure I want the kids to follow me. It's a dangerous sport. All of us have been to the hospital from it, at LEAST once, am I right, riders?

Concussion, Broken tibia, and torn rotator cuff. All from different get-offs.

But I WANT my kid to ride, lol.

Cracked my sternum coming up short on a good sized double and tore up my left knee when body departed bike and knee met sharp foot pegs. Both sent me to the hospital.

I got landed on once which wasn't fun, and I landed on someone as well. That one ****ed me off cause my bike got stuck to his and he was trying to ride off as I'm running after him. The good ole days! Hahaha

Watch out for the traffic (road) in Portland. I'm flying an Angel Flight West flight tomorrow into the Portland area. The original plan was to fly into PDX, but the driver of the car called and wasn't too thrilled with trying to get across Portland in the time available. So we'll meet at KHIO, instead. Much easier for him. As I said, watch out for traffic in the area.

Herlings is a ****ing animal. I don’t think anyone in the US right now could run with him, especially on a rough/technical track. I wish Dean Wilson could figure it out and get back to where he was a few years ago

Tomac lost me as a fan with his pathetic take out attempts on Dungey in the final race of the season. He has no ground to stand on and complain. Marvin rarely takes out other riders. Reed? Good to see an "old" guy in the sport still, but never been a fan. Remember him trying to take out Stewart under the stadium section, out of sight of the fans? That's the definition of pathetic.

Anyways, jealous of being able to fly in and see that race. I love watching the 450s fly up over that hill, whipping over the peak of it and landing on the downhill. Crazy track.

Watch out for the traffic (road) in Portland. I'm flying an Angel Flight West flight tomorrow into the Portland area. The original plan was to fly into PDX, but the driver of the car called and wasn't too thrilled with trying to get across Portland in the time available. So we'll meet at KHIO, instead. Much easier for him. As I said, watch out for traffic in the area.

Good choice. There is major construction going on at the I-5/84 interchange and it’s messing up traffic in town like it’s not bad enough already. @Wade getting across the river to and from Troutdale on the weekend should be no problem though

Tomac lost me as a fan with his pathetic take out attempts on Dungey in the final race of the season. He has no ground to stand on and complain. Marvin rarely takes out other riders. Reed? Good to see an "old" guy in the sport still, but never been a fan. Remember him trying to take out Stewart under the stadium section, out of sight of the fans? That's the definition of pathetic.

He lost me that race as well. He could have ridden with integrity, and done his best, let the chips fall where they may; or keep trying to take Dungey out, over and over. As a guy from Minnesota, we are contractually obligated to root for Dungey, like hardcore.

I

Thanks for the Pirep. I have to admit I'm still a little intimidated to go fly right into the middle of all the heavies at PDX. So that's why I chose KPPT because flying a arrival to the Rnav should be pretty easy.

Although the weather should be VFR and if their landing 28 I might not be able to resist the Mill visual approach for a TNG.

They have to make a hole in the PDX 28 arrival flow to do an RNAV to TTD. You may end up just wanting to cancel and go in VFR if you start getting delay vectors. Call Gorge Winds. They have a chart with all the VFR procedures, traffic flows, Reporting points etc. They should be able to email one to you. I thought I had one I could take a pic of but I can’t find it. Are you doing this in one day? Fly in, watch the race and then fly home?

...You mean Roczen, Marv, and Tomac...? :) (I kid, Tomac will mop up the floor with everybody there too)

I get it. I took the kids to see the Minneaoplis Supercross two years ago. When the race starts, it's exciting. After three laps, they're catching the back of the pack. After that, it just looks like people riding together out there, who knows what is going on. It was hard for me to follow, if I looked away from the leaders. I can imagine somebody without as much knowledge of the sport not enjoying it as much.

I really liked how Roczen was kicking tootie, and came in to the supercross season with swagger, in a suit. He was likeable, I became a fan. I can't believe how bad ass he is coming back from that horrificness.

Herlings is the real deal. I think instead of Ellie running away from the pack, Herlings will match his speed; sometimes faster, sometimes not. When last Herlings came to the USA, he did very well (Ironman National, 2017).

Yea I'd like to see Herlings come over here for an outdoor season, but I don't know if it will happen.

Moto is a dangerous sport, but I never saw it as "life threatening". Although there were two up and coming riders here in AZ that were killed (several years apart) racing. To be honest, I view flying as potentially more dangerous (in the sense that your more likely to be killed in an accident). I did lose my left pinky toe in a moto accident hahaha

Yea I'd like to see Herlings come over here for an outdoor season, but I don't know if it will happen.

Moto is a dangerous sport, but I never saw it as "life threatening". Although there were two up and coming riders here in AZ that were killed (several years apart) racing. To be honest, I view flying as potentially more dangerous (in the sense that your more likely to be killed in an accident). I did lose my left pinky toe in a moto accident hahaha

It's not the death that I fear (although, yes, I fear that too); it's the broken backs, necks, etc. Count how many famous people have been paralyzed by motocross... then count the not famous ones. So many people are permanently in a wheelchair because they loved riding motocross.

I just want my kids to have a good life. I'm not saying that if you are paralyzed from the neck down that you have a "bad" life; but I so much enjoy swimming with my kids, playing soccer, etc. I ran behind my son this week, teaching him how to ride a pedal bike. I held his back as he figured out his balance, and let him go. I pictured how difficult that moment would have been if I had been in a wheelchair. I likely would have been watching from the sidelines.

Herlings is a ****ing animal. I don’t think anyone in the US right now could run with him, especially on a rough/technical track. I wish Dean Wilson could figure it out and get back to where he was a few years ago

The thing is that European motocross is really quite different from American motocross. There is a lot of speculation that Herlings would run away from everyone, but it's hard to say unless we actually saw him over here. I think the European tracks get rougher than the American tracks (that isn't to say that the American tracks don't get absolutely gnarly). Zach Osborne road over in Europe for a while and that did A LOT of good for him considering he is winning championships now.

I love Dean Wilson - I watched him come up through amateurs (from B Class on) - watched him at Loretta's, Ponca, Lake Whitney, Mammoth, etc. Along with Blake Baggett and a ton of other guys. I actually miss watching amateurs. It is really interesting to see the guys that do well in the pro ranks and the guys who don't and sort of fade off. I used to know all the up and coming guys - this was back when Vurbmoto was around, which was sort of the Transworld Motocross of amateurs. I really miss Vurb - was really disappointed when the said they were shutting it down. Since then I've lost contact with amateurs. Last guys I knew really well who were coming up were Austin Forkner, Dakota Alix, etc. All of whom are now racing 250s.

I really miss moto. Unfortunately, we lost the majority of our tracks here in AZ. Pretty much left with two good tracks now - ACP way out in Buckeye and Canyon, which is actually quite close to me. ET is still open, but it went to complete crap years ago when they started focusing on mud bogs and sand drags. Motoland in Casa Grande is still open I believe, but it's an okay track. The tracks that have closed - Speedworld (so sad - this place was iconic and open for 30+ years), Firebird, Verde Valley, Air Sarival (wasn't open for long), Grindingstone (place was epic - closest thing we ever had to a true national style track - I still have videos of me hitting this massive 100+ft table they had - also where I lost my pinky toe lmao).

Now it's all about RZRs, Mavericks, YXZs - side by sides. I only have one friend who still rides and races. The rest of them are all blowing money on their RZRs.

So between that and losing so many tracks in AZ, the hay day of moto in AZ has faded significantly. Boy, I'm really a victim of nostalgia - I miss it.

It's not the death that I fear (although, yes, I fear that too); it's the broken backs, necks, etc. Count how many famous people have been paralyzed by motocross... then count the not famous ones. So many people are permanently in a wheelchair because they loved riding motocross.

I just want my kids to have a good life. I'm not saying that if you are paralyzed from the neck down that you have a "bad" life; but I so much enjoy swimming with my kids, playing soccer, etc. I ran behind my son this week, teaching him how to ride a pedal bike. I held his back as he figured out his balance, and let him go. I pictured how difficult that moment would have been if I had been in a wheelchair. I likely would have been watching from the sidelines.

Yea I can understand...although I'd say the likelihood of being paralyzed is quite small. My concern is when you get to the Intermediate - Pro levels. I wouldn't be too concerned about my son trail riding, racing the local beginner/novice class, etc. Once you get to a certain level (I raced Intermediate myself) - then yes...it becomes a concern. I always did quite well by not riding over my head. Slowly pushing myself and my boundaries without pushing it too far.

Anyways, jealous of being able to fly in and see that race. I love watching the 450s fly up over that hill, whipping over the peak of it and landing on the downhill. Crazy track.

Unless you have ridden at a very competitive level, it is hard to understand where a rider is coming from (i.e. I never raced Lorettas, Ponca, etc - but I did race Intermediate and likely would have raced local Pro if I hadn't gone to college in Flagstaff). I completely agree that some of the moves are just downright dirty - and in many of those cases the riders are indeed fined by the AMA. However, "rubbin' is racing" - this isn't soccer. These guys are riding for a living and their performance dictates their level of success. In some cases (championships) there is A LOT of money on the line.

Tomac is probably one of the most respectable riders on the track. Dungey was too.

Sometimes a very aggressive pass is simply what it takes to get past someone - I've done it myself.

They have to make a hole in the PDX 28 arrival flow to do an RNAV to TTD. You may end up just wanting to cancel and go in VFR if you start getting delay vectors. Call Gorge Winds. They have a chart with all the VFR procedures, traffic flows, Reporting points etc. They should be able to email one to you. I thought I had one I could take a pic of but I can’t find it. Are you doing this in one day? Fly in, watch the race and then fly home?

Planning on overnight. Possibly leave Friday evening. Yeah I flight planned to JJace then will probably cancel there if it VFR and it is a hassle to fly the approach.

I was there at Vegas and watched Stewart actually stop on the back section and let Reed by because he knew it was coming.

I have raced Washougal a couple times. I actually found it to be pretty mellow jump wise but the whoops kicked my butt and had to start jumping through them. Then watched Pastrana go skimming over the top wide open in fourth or fifth gear riding a wheelie. It's all about scrubbing it halfway up the face of the jumps because they are so small. The first time I went over the top of Horsepower hill I didn't know that and flew off the top of the lip and landed almost in the corner and ended up in the trees. It is a weird track because it gets hard and greasy under the top couple inchs of loam and it can bite you.

I was there at Vegas and watched Stewart actually stop on the back section and let Reed by because he knew it was coming.

I have raced Washougal a couple times. I actually found it to be pretty mellow jump wise but the whoops kicked my butt and had to start jumping through them. Then watched Pastrana go skimming over the top wide open in fourth or fifth gear riding a wheelie. It's all about scrubbing it halfway up the face of the jumps because they are so small. The first time I went over the top of Horsepower hill I didn't know that and flew off the top of the lip and landed almost in the corner and ended up in the trees. It is a weird track because it gets hard and greasy under the top couple inchs of loam and it can bite you.

Granted all the National tracks are “hopped” up for the pros. Like Glen Helen is nowhere near as gnarly as it is on race day. If you go for a normal weekday practice it is totally different than race day for the pros.

Unless you have ridden at a very competitive level, it is hard to understand where a rider is coming from (i.e. I never raced Lorettas, Ponca, etc - but I did race Intermediate and likely would have raced local Pro if I hadn't gone to college in Flagstaff). I completely agree that some of the moves are just downright dirty - and in many of those cases the riders are indeed fined by the AMA. However, "rubbin' is racing" - this isn't soccer. These guys are riding for a living and their performance dictates their level of success. In some cases (championships) there is A LOT of money on the line.

Tomac is probably one of the most respectable riders on the track. Dungey was too.

Sometimes a very aggressive pass is simply what it takes to get past someone - I've done it myself.

Deliberate take out moves != aggressive passes. He didn't take him wide. Tomac knew he had to prevent Dungey from finishing in order to win the championship. Just because there's money involved doesn't excuse poor behavior. The AMA seems to encourage it sometimes with the weak punishments. Osborne shouldn't have been given the championship IMO...

Deliberate take out moves != aggressive passes. He didn't take him wide. Tomac knew he had to prevent Dungey from finishing in order to win the championship. Just because there's money involved doesn't excuse poor behavior. The AMA seems to encourage it sometimes with the weak punishments. Osborne shouldn't have been given the championship IMO...

Every rider has made aggressive passes at some point. It's a fact of racing. If you wanted perfectly clean racing all the time, you wouldn't last at a competitive level. Zach's pass on Savatgy was text book. It was actually a damn good pass, and you can bet Savatgy knew it was coming. Unfortunately, it looks a lot worse because they got tied up (it looks like his foot or something got caught on Zach's bike) and Savatgy lost it. Savatgy still had a line - wide outside - he just got unlucky and got tied up with Zach. I'm not belittling the situation - I would have been ****ed if I was Savatgy. Moto is rough.

Here is a nice deliberate takeout (and I love Kevin Windham - DV was a dirty dirty rider):

Last edited:
Back