Oshkosh - 2018

I dont get how people could do the holding pattern for hours anyway. Good grief go somewhere else and wait it out. Screw that mess!

I do think that they could have benefited from a Green Lake control position. Maybe put that on 120.7 and direct people to switch to another frequency when cleared to cross Ripon. Having someone to authoritatively say who is and isn’t allowed to cross Ripon would have done a lot to alleviate the cranial-rectal inversion that was going on there yesterday.

I would concede that people should read the NOTAM and not be jackwagons about it, and that would do the same job, but evidently that’s not a reliable system when things do go south.

Not only read and know the NOTAM but have it right there on you lap board or whatever. I lost count of how many guys asked what the tower frequency was after being given a runway assignment.

Pic from this mornings flight.
95522_C63-_FD2_E-4_EF0-9_F46-_ACE2_E74_FA132.jpg

Right after that, there was an exchange that had me laughing:

Controller: “XxxNT where are you parking?”

Pilot( VERY thick Aussie accent) : “ parking at Humboldt”

(Pause)

Controller: “ Uhh, where is Humboldt Parking”

Pilot: “ Right over there, next to Wo-arbird Parking!”

It was about 6:32pm. Would make a great tape for ATC memes, or even Someone we know”.

Haha! The controllers' confusion makes sense to me. There is a Humboldt Ave in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and I could imagine that they might name a place in KOSH Humboldt for some reason.

I'll be taking off from OK early in the morning on Wednesday. If the weather cooperates and headwinds aren't too detrimental, we're going to try to slip in there before the afternoon airshow. If that don't work, we'll shoot in there between airshows.

Planning to leave Page Muni(RCE) in OKC around 6:30am, fuel up in Centerville, IA (TVK), then top off with fuel in Portage, WI (C47) before heading for the conga line at Ripon. That ought to put us into Osh around 1pm if all goes well.

I totally want to head up there and be like "aaaaaand moonanza 123 is 10 miles to the south, inbound with Delta" and see what they say.

I'd probably tell them you're "inbound with Eeeeeman" and see what they say.

He stores stuff in town in storage year round for this week every year. Not kidding. :)
Yup. We have a trailer with 5 guys' gear stored in it up here, year 'round.

We ain't roughing it. :)

And I now have the only hangar in the North 40. :)
6008415253bd4176baa4010f8e9a7508.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lights are in the car. How do want to meet up?

Jim
You coming to Grant's jambalaya in Scholler? We could meet there.

Or, coffee is on in Row 509. :)

Or just text me, and we can hook up somewhere in the show?
5a0ce1f150d7b112e0b0e2697798655f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sitting here by my plane in the shade watching an awesome air show. WW-II birds galore. The Corsair is bad ass. I’d like to ring her out.

So I just found out I have to be in St Paul next monday morning. Would it be worth being at the show Friday and Saturday or is it basically already over then?

So I just found out I have to be in St Paul next monday morning. Would it be worth being at the show Friday and Saturday or is it basically already over then?

Nope. Those are the busiest days.

If you are into the airshow itself, Saturday afternoon is usually the biggest extravaganza of the week. And then if you haven't had your fill there's the night airshow the same day.

If you are into buying expensive aviation trinkets and souvenirs (such as the latest Bose headset, a new Garmin center stack, your dream ADS-B solution, that sort of thing :)) the earlier in the week you are there usually the better - stock starts running out for many vendors as the week goes on. But then the best bargains of what is left (that they do not want to cart home) are usually Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

CAP has been up and down my row 2 days now looking for an active ELT. It ain’t me, that landing last week wasn’t that bad

It can be hard finding a signal with all the metal bouncing it around. Maybe someone carrying a PLB that they forgot about?

A couple of months ago someone put out a test ELT leaning against a row of metal hangars and it took the team several hours to find it even knowing that it wasn't one of the airplanes inside.

so for realz, how do I go about reserving either camping OR a local hotel? are there local hotels so close u can walk over? 2 years in a row I should'a gone but didn't.

So the head wind that kicked my tail going up was kinder going home. Wheels up this morning at 0752, landed 1127. The little Cherokee 140 did well. Best part is OSH wanted turns to 150 coming off 36L before tower. Got to kick her over hard right climbing turn. The Bonanza cleared behind me ate my lunch before clearing Delta airspace. lol

upload_2018-7-25_16-22-34.png

so for realz, how do I go about reserving either camping OR a local hotel? are there local hotels so close u can walk over? 2 years in a row I should'a gone but didn't.

I think the hotels are impossible. From what I understand you can only books in 364 days out and they tend to get booked immediately. The one I ate breakfast in this morning was $500 a night during Oshkosh.

I think the hotels are impossible. From what I understand you can only books in 364 days out and they tend to get booked immediately. The one I ate breakfast in this morning was $500 a night during Oshkosh.

Camping it is.

Don't give up. My wife booked a hotel last Sunday morning (day before the show) in Fond du Lac. Called the hotel directly. No minimum on number of nights. Couldn't believe it! There is a daily shuttle from FDL to OSH.

I just reserved (3) nights in Green Bay at t Hampton Inn in case the misses wants to attend next year.

Back