Folding Bikes?

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
Was at Ocracoke the other day and a couple got out of a C182, unfolded two bikes and off they went. I know 182s have plenty of room so it would be easier for them to transport. I wasnt paying a lot of attention to the make or model of the bikes but thought they really cool!
Seeing how helpful they would be for a lot of destinations, My fiancee and I are in the market for 2 bikes. I mostly fly a DA40 and no one in the back seats so I can fold the seats down if I have to.
Weight is not a huge issue either because we always have a couple of hundred pounds to spare after full fuel and luggage. Anyone own any or have any input or leads?

Ive been looking at this one but I would need to see it in person and take measurements of both the plane and the bike, like I said.. I'm looking to travel with TWO bikes for the most part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010RH72M4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1W6FFIBXHB164&psc=1

Would like to keep price at no more than $500 per bike but to pay in that upper range it would need to be THE perfect bike..

Thanks in advance

I have a West Marine "Port Runner" that I got off of craigslist for $75.
My husband splashed out on something from Giant (I think) for $700-ish.

The difference? Mine makes a slight "clackety" noise from the rear gear as you ride, and his does not.

Right away, you can tell something about the difference between the two of us and our approaches to life. :)

I've loaded two full sized (not folding) bikes into my Cardinal, with the back seat removed. I imagine you could do something similar with a 182.

If you're serious about a folding bike, try it before you buy. One folding bike I tried, I could not stand to ride. I rode it around Mackinac Island with a friend and decided it was a pos. Both the frame and the wheels were much too small. Then I tried her folding bike, and it was HUGELY more rideable than mine. But it was still much less comfortable and enjoyable to ride than my Trek 2000.

I would go for a folding bike only if I absolutely needed to go that route for weight, space, or cost reasons. Otherwise in a 4-place Cessna, a full sized bike is IMO a much better choice.

I have a West Marine "Port Runner" that I got off of craigslist for $75.
My husband splashed out on something from Giant (I think) for $700-ish.

The difference? Mine makes a slight "clackety" noise from the rear gear as you ride, and his does not.

Right away, you can tell something about the difference between the two of us and our approaches to life. :)

So we are curious to know how does this difference resolve when HE is buying YOU a birthday present? :D

So we are curious to know how does this difference resolve when HE is buying YOU a birthday present? :D

It works out GREATLY in my favor! :) :)

It works out GREATLY in my favor! :) :)

Okay, he scores a perfect 10 for "Exercises good judgement in potentially life threatening situations". :D

Dahon is probably the biggest manufacturer in the folding bike market while Brompton is probably considered the premium brand.

My issue with Dahon is that they have too many models and no easy way to distinguish how they are differentiated from each other. I wish they had some sort of flowchart to help decide which one you want.

I wasnt paying a lot of attention to the make or model of the bikes but thought they really cool!

Also, if you think folding bikes are cool then you should check out folding e-bikes. :)

Was at Ocracoke the other day and a couple got out of a C182, unfolded two bikes and off they went. I know 182s have plenty of room so it would be easier for them to transport. I wasnt paying a lot of attention to the make or model of the bikes but thought they really cool!
Seeing how helpful they would be for a lot of destinations, My fiancee and I are in the market for 2 bikes. I mostly fly a DA40 and no one in the back seats so I can fold the seats down if I have to.
Weight is not a huge issue either because we always have a couple of hundred pounds to spare after full fuel and luggage. Anyone own any or have any input or leads?

Ive been looking at this one but I would need to see it in person and take measurements of both the plane and the bike, like I said.. I'm looking to travel with TWO bikes for the most part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010RH72M4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1W6FFIBXHB164&psc=1

Would like to keep price at no more than $500 per bike but to pay in that upper range it would need to be THE perfect bike..

Thanks in advance
You are probably going to miss the gears on that one, unless every where you go is flat (single speed). I bought a couple of cheap 5 speed folding bikes off of Amazon ($199 each). They fit in the back of a Cherokee, but even with some upgrades (high pressure tires and longer crank arms), they still don't ride that great. It is probably worth stepping up to better bikes.

Dahon is probably the biggest manufacturer in the folding bike market while Brompton is probably considered the premium brand.

My issue with Dahon is that they have too many models and no easy way to distinguish how they are differentiated from each other. I wish they had some sort of flowchart to help decide which one you want.

Also, if you think folding bikes are cool then you should check out folding e-bikes. :)

Tern sort of has a bike finder. It's missing a few things like "folded size" and "weight" which I think would be handy. Of course if you really want way too many options check out Bike Friday, it's all custom, and it starts at really expensive and goes up from there.

And if you think folding bikes are heavy, you should check out folding e-bikes. I just ordered a Swytch battery and motorized wheel for mine, I'll let you all know how it goes.

It busts your budget, but the ultimate folder is the Brompton. When I had the 172, I could fit two of them in the baggage compartment. After I sold the 172, I wasn't riding it anymore and sold it for more than I had paid for it new.

Bromptonin172sm.jpg

Brompton172sm.jpg

I just got these EuroMini's for us a couple weeks ago and rode them around Niagara Falls for a couple of days. Very easy and the 8 speeds made small hills pretty easy to climb. They are light and I can fit three in a row in the back of the Bonanza. Weight penalty for the three = 72 pounds total. Cost is currently $349 each. My teenager loved riding it.

https://zizzo.bike/pages/shop-urbano

Cheers,
Brian

IMG_1380.jpg

Something I have wondered about the folding bikes- I have a full frame 26" 21-speed non-folding bike that I sometimes ride on 20-ish mile trips down the road. Should I expect to be able to move to a typical folding model and be able to bike the same distances in roughly the same time/level of exertion? Or do you take a performance hit for the smaller wheels?

Something I have wondered about the folding bikes- I have a full frame 26" 21-speed non-folding bike that I sometimes ride on 20-ish mile trips down the road. Should I expect to be able to move to a typical folding model and be able to bike the same distances in roughly the same time/level of exertion? Or do you take a performance hit for the smaller wheels?

Generally I'd say you take a bit of a penalty, some due to more limited gearing, some due to higher rolling resistance, some due to geometry(it's harder to get a folding bike with a racing style tuck), sometimes you may end up with shorter cranks or other disadvantages as well. Personally I'd put it as a similar difference between a road bike and a mountain bike with street tires.

If you're not looking for the absolute cheapest which would necessitate ordering on-line, I'd go to a shop and check them out.

Thanks in advance
I have several Dahons - one Jack and a couple of Espressos. They are full size 26" bikes, and a tight fit in a 182 (but will go in). IMHO they are decent bikes
and I carry one in my car most of the time (always ready for an impromptu ride).

While it is always a good idea to try before you buy, this may be difficult. In my experience dealers who carry folding bikes are few and far between.
Also, you will save a bunch of money if you buy used. I bought the ones I have on eBay - with good results. YMMV. Check Craigslist. Good Luck.

Dave

As the owner of a full size folder (Montague) and a sub-frame folder (Citizen) I say the ONLY way to go is the full size. My girlfriend likes the Citizen, but I feel like a circus clown riding it. The Montague is the best mountain bike I've ever owned...and Montague makes street bikes and cross-overs, if that is more your thing.

upload_2018-7-23_7-27-44.png

After my first trip to Ocracoke I saw that a bike could be useful. We packed 2 full size mountain bikes in the Maule which required pulling the front wheels. It was fun on our next day trip.

That’s the only place I’ve ever wanted a bike along. At most locations I’m staying overnight which means luggage which means a car; courtesy, rental or Uber.

I’m no longer a bike rider so there’s that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back