Oshkosh - 2018

I’ve always wondered how the mass type arrivals work. Do they go to Ripon/Fisk like everyone else or are they given a special procedure?
Bonanzas2osh staged in fond du lac direct to osh Saturday night. Everyone coming in on Fisk was told to go somewhere else as the mass arrival wouldn't be done til after the airport closed. Basically they shut down osh and fond du lac, forcing everyone to Appleton or dells for the night in ****ty weather.

If everything worked smoothly, I think an arrival into Oshkosh would be fun. When things get crazy, like right now with all traffic suddenly having to break off the arrival line, that would make me very nervous.

Attachments

• Oshkosh.jpg
    Oshkosh.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 45
Seems like an inordinate amount of pilots checking in on the radio rather than just listening and rocking wings

ATC just said 8 aircraft within 1/2 mile at FISK! When he told them to break out, one complained on the radio that it was his "6th time around"

I will never come here on Sunday again. I was in the hold for 3 hours. I cannot believe there was not a mid-air or a bunch of them I have never been so scared in my life in a plane.

Yikes, glad you made it. Did you get video?

“More than 20 miles out find an alternate. Tower will be closed” ouch.

With 2 days of poor weather, everyone is trying to blitz in.

Stinson emergency. Critical fuel and clearing everyone else out.

I posted before that happened, but... that was seriously dumb.

How do you magically find out you have a tailwheel problem in flight and then decide declaring an emergency at OSH is a good idea?

I have no idea why she didn’t land at wherever she departed from after she took off if she had a problem on the takeoff.

Land somewhere else. Poor judgement.

Lol at people fighting with approach over being turned away

Was listening to atc live earlier. Crazy stuff man!!!

At some point, I’d expect him to say “all aircraft whining, maintain radio silence”

Lol. “What if I shut the engines off on short final?”

The field is shut down for arrivals and the controller is the bearer of bad news.. dumb to argue on the air, but somewhat understandable for people who've been trying to get in for hours!

I am only hearing the controllers side of things. Is that normal?

Sounds like they are combining frequencies now

Wow. Interesting to listen to.

"I'm over Ripon, I can make it by 8!"

"RV-6, it's your lucky day."

Heh.. one guy had some time zone issues, kept insisting he had another hour to get in.

Yup. It's not that they are not letting you hear the pilots. The pilots are to just listen. You'll hear one every now and then

Thanks Also I initially started listening to the top feed and then moved down to the second feed. Tomorrow will be fun.

Sounds like they are combining frequencies now

Yeah that was the evening flop to using the transmitter at the tower. The controllers were closing down the trailer at Fisk.

Dave’s LiveATC receivers are set up to do some sort of automatic flipping also, so right at the end you can’t hear the aircraft miles away talkin’. Normal.

Unofficial POA meetup at SOS? Look for the dude in cargo shorts with a beer.

It was absolute chaos trying to get in today. 7-8 times got sent back to Ripon, nobody going the posted speed, people cutting in line between Ripon and Fisk, one guy passed right over the top of me, another flew right beside me half way to Fisk before I pulled off and went around again. Finally made it and got all set up.

Around 12-3 pm we were sitting along 36 and it was steady but not crazy. Lots of fun to watch.

I am truthfully surprised that type of stuff doesn’t lead to more midair collisions. Actually, the hold over ripon is the one that surprises me most every year. Talk about a recipe for mid air collisions

][img]http
12s6u8fma
Well I made it to KBMI. Had to go around weather but worked out. Ripon @0700 tomorrow morning.
0_A91157_E-_D557-4_E89-94_F6-767_AF6_B00_C56.jpg

Last edited:
Well I made it to KBMI. Had to go around weather but worked out. Ripon @0700 tomorrow morning.
I heard on LiveATC they won't open for arrivals until 07:30 local Monday morning. But I could be wrong about that since it sounded like there was some confusion amongst the various speakers on the radio.

Yes, I heard that 0730 mention too, went looking for confirmation. Now I suppose 0730 will be busy, with all those lined up at 0700 that didn’t get the word? Anyhow, the tanks are full and I have onboard facilities available. At least the weather looks superb.

Back