Plane Down in Glacier Bay, Pilot OK

Glad he made it out. With a name like Glacier Bay, it must have been a cold swim to shore.

The survivor was located on the shore of Crillon Lake with a survival bag that allowed him to have dry clothing and the materials to start a fire.

Smart man! I was flying over exactly that area just a few weeks back and thinking a lot about where I'd go if the engine quit. This will encourage me to move my dry bag to where I can much more easily grab it in a pinch...

Be sure to click on the “the aircraft went into crillion lake” link. Or here it is https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1ffaeb6

The RCC called the Coast Guard. It doesn’t say how the RCC got the word. Sounds like maybe the National Park Service blew the whistle. Maybe someone in the park saw it happen or stumbled across him. Maybe overdue on a Flight Plan. Anyway, he was well prepared to survive the wait for rescue.

Smart man! I was flying over exactly that area just a few weeks back and thinking a lot about where I'd go if the engine quit. This will encourage me to move my dry bag to where I can much more easily grab it in a pinch...
Ross, you have flown over a good portion of SE AK and know there are not many places to do an emergency landing. I know the spots I would use if an emergency forces me to make an off field landing. Those spots are few and far between. Good chances you are going ditch in 45F water, not a very comforting thought.

If I could I would carry my personal survival bag on the seat next to me so I can grab it as I exit the plane. I have seen survival bags carried in the nose compartment. That front compartment will crush in an accident making the survival gear unreachable. Same as putting it in the back. Can't get to it if the plane is on fire.

That’s some cold water,glad he made it out safely.

Back