Route planning fun...

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
This will be my first time flying to Oshkosh. Last year we drove because of the weather. Year before mechanic screwed up my plane, so I didn't go anywhere. Hopefully the third time the plane doesn't burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp...

Planning on heading out from NH thursday evening to get a head start for saturday. "Fun" to look for airfields that are either close enough to a town to find a hotel, have a crew car/uber, or wouldn't mind me camping at the field, can walk to get some food, etc. along the route while looking for reasonable fuel prices.

Anyone have any suggestions on good airfields if headed in from the north east coast?

"... huge... tracts of land...." will be covered on this trip.

I flew back from VT about 2.5 weeks ago, not to far from NH. We weren’t able to leave until midday or so. With convective activity scattered along the route I want to keep options open, stayed South of Lake Erie instead of over Canada. We did stop at PenYan Airport, Western NY I think, for fuel. That night we stayed in Valparaiso, IN, another nice airport. We made it to Valpo just as night was approaching with weather moving in from the West.

I had a handful of nice airports in mind along the way(Notams checked) tuned up with Garmin Pilot fed by the GDL-39. The next morning we did the Chicago lakefront into WI. This weekend there is a TFR on the MKE lakefront for an air & water show. Most have turned inland by then anyway.

I feel one of the best safety tools is the ‘airborne divert’. Most places have a Lyft or Uber or other ride to hole up when needed. When it’s time to land I can figure all that ride stuff out once in the ground. As of now there’s mention of scattered showers this weekend, so may be something to deal with. Even when that’s the case, a good portion of most days is usually flyable. One just needs to bite off miles as able.

With a Thursday departure you have plenty of time to adjust for conditions as called for. Just remember to ‘make hay while the sun’s shining’. With a tent you may want to look at a few that allow overnight camping, many do here in WI. That will save a fair amount plus acclimate you for Oshkosh. If a significant other is along, camping in a buggy rain may not go over well.

Thanks, that's a great list. I'll check it out.

What is this place Oshkosh? I heard a lot but just do not know. Are aviation enthusiasts going to meet? In what state?

It’s a brand of children’s clothing. And a place where a few folks get together and look at airplanes - Airventure.org. (Hoping I’m not having a “whoosh” moment)

It’s a brand of children’s clothing. And a place where a few folks get together and look at airplanes - Airventure.org. (Hoping I’m not having a “whoosh” moment)

I’ve heard tell some folks also indulge in alcoholic libations. Ok I’m taking about me— I’m getting tanked at the SOS Bros right now.

Back