This is just wild.!

Sounds more like quite a few who still hold on to the "nines are for girls" mentality. Ballistics don't lie. Wound cavity, kinetic energy, expansion....... the proof is there. But bigger is better has always been the talk at the briefing room water cooler. The new rounds out there have really changed how informed shooters think.

Do you know what the caliber is of the most people killed, other than in combat is? It's .22.

9's are easier to control for most people too.. I still prefer the 45 in a 1911 with a 3lb or tad less trigger with little pre-travel and over travel. They are easier to shoot fast and accurately.

All concealed home defense weapons are magnet mounted for easy access, usually above a door, and out of children's reach. (I have no kids, but all my friends kids are disciplined to notify an adult if they see a gun)
Years ago I saw a news magazine show where they stashed a pistol in a day care-type room to see if the kids actually did what they were taught...I think one actually said something about finding an adult, but for the most part they just started playing with the gun. Parents were flabbergasted.

I was flying with a police chief's wife at the time...her comment was that they had guns all around the house when their kids were little...the difference was apparently the known consequence of touching, handling, or playing with a gun, not knowing to find an adult if they saw one. ;)

Given that my oldest could scale door frames by age 4, I'd say "out of reach" is a bit far-fetched, too.

I have no problem with guns in the house...I just wish I was someplace where it would be easier to teach the wife & kids proper handling. I suspect the difference with your friends' kids is that they know they'll see guns at your place, so they can "plan" to do the right thing. Kinda like going around for an unstable approach when you know that's what the instructor is expecting, but continuing an unstable approach in real life because the expectation is to land.

I live in komnifornia, those are a no no here;)
Got it when I lived in SW TN. Shooting water moccasins.
edit: Guessing about a 1to 10 kill ratio. Did a lot better with the Ruger Single Six 22 mag. edit: Shots were a lot longer than 30 feet, more like 90 to 150 feet..
images

images

Last edited:
My winter carry piece is a .40 15+1 :eek:
Summer is .40 5+1
My all season carry is a .45 XDS 3.3 with an extended mag, 6+1. Wouldn't trade it, though I am a fan of the .40. I love my Sig P229, just too heavy/bulky to carry all the time. Sitting in NH for work right now, first time in a while I haven't made a trip to the Sig Academy. Place is pretty awesome, great training, would highly suggest it if you every get the chance.

I carry a 1911 .45 single stack:)
Much respect there my friend. A 1911 is at the top of my list.

How many times does this gun fire..??

Worst thing you can do is to let a person new to firearms shoot a cannon, it produces bad habit.. when I started hunting at 8 my dad only let me shoot small caliber single shots, hated it but thank him now.

Sounds more like quite a few who still hold on to the "nines are for girls" mentality. Ballistics don't lie. Wound cavity, kinetic energy, expansion....... the proof is there. But bigger is better has always been the talk at the briefing room water cooler. The new rounds out there have really changed how informed shooters think.

Do you know what the caliber is of the most people killed, other than in combat is? It's .22.

I guess they are liars then since the anecdotes include people that have been shot by 9's and the damage is no where near what a 40 is. Last cop I talked to, had a friend that was shot with a 9 and this guy was shall we say portly. Didn't even penetrate the fat.

Cops need a PTT on the steering wheel.

They make ‘em and foot pedals, nothing is great for chases.

The dumbest thing is all of these agencies are on trunked systems and could separate TX/RX frequency far enough to do full duplex for one or two lead units in a chase. The tech exists, the stupid agencies keep buying the same old Motorola crap.

Speaking of Motorola crap, that isn’t one of the old school good Motorola mics in the car. That’s one of the modern lightweight ones that Mother M literally glued a chunk of lead inside the back with hot snot glue to make it feel like it has the “heft” of the old ones. That mic is a plastic POS.

I was surprised he had to do so much radio work. Don't police units have "lowjack" or some GPS positioning beacon in them? Seems it would be easier, and safer.

Heck, even Uber tracks vehicle location.

Someone thought you were asking if the cop had GPS, and you were asking about real time tracking. Tracking is an option that costs millions on already overpriced Public Safety systems. Most agencies doing it are doing it with cellular data instead of the built in low speed data on the trunked two-way dispatch radio.

You can hear he’s on a digital two-way system. All of them have the capability to send the data but it’s the display and tracking consoles for the dispatcher that are expensive as hell for no good reason. Usually if an agency has it, it’s linked to their computer aided dispatch software and you really don’t want to know what THAT stuff costs. You extra super duper don’t want to know what the “medical” version of the CAD software with built in prompts for the dispatcher for medical emergencies costs. It’s insane.

Public Safety is the money printing division of any two way radio shop.

The mic you see is his collar mic for his portable. Some guys like that, in my area reception would be crud so I use the car mic.

The biggest radio issue is when guys heading to assist can’t stay off the air. We’ve tried to coach our folks to self-dispatch via the computer (one button) and keep the air clear for the units directly involved.

The reload issue looked like a possible issue of not indexing the mags. Mine are set up so that my natural grip puts mags in the right orientation. Same for handcuffs.

Some agencies have the handhelds repeated through a higher power transmitter in the vehicle so the coverage issue goes away. Fire uses it heavily these days for fire ground work, repeater in the truck keeps the dispatcher apprised and the on the ground radios can all hear the transmitter in the truck better than they can hear the dispatch system’s closest trunked site.

Agree on the staying off the air thing when joining. That used to drive me insane as a dispatcher. I know you’re all covering in a shots fired scenario, you’ll drive 30 miles to do it. Shut up and let the lead car talk. Better yet let the lead car hand off to the second car because lead is way too busy up front. Second car can give a running location without quite as much stress and a whole lot less yelling into the damn mic which makes y’all completely uncopyable anyway.

Agree also it looks like the mag wasn’t indexed. I bet he doesn’t miss that detail again when loading up the belt for a while. You get lazy and then it’s backward. It’s gotten officer’s killed.

Hows the spring tension on a full mag? You get a lot of stove-pipes? And if not, how does the last few rounds feed?

I have one of those if that’s a Mec-Gar. Cheap mag but spring is fine. Actually have them in .45 ACP that fit a 1911 and the real reason I have them is they also fit the Ruger Ranch Rifle. Same deal in 9mm, fits the 3rd Gen S&W pistol as well as the 9mm Ruger Ranch Rifle. Both rifles also take the standard sized mags for the two pistol types. Nice to not have to carry different mags. The big ones are just a joke for plinking. They don’t help accuracy or balance of either firearm that both calibers and types fit, like most giant magazines.

I live in komnifornia, those are a no no here;)

I believe the cops can have them there. They can buy stuff not on the approval list, which makes them “higher class Citizens” which is just flat wrong. But whatever. The Citizens like their cops to be legally higher in stature than everyone else there, I suppose. Historically that’s an extremely bad idea.

The real problem with this shoot is there’s no way the officer could determine that he had a safe backstop. Killing an innocent bystander with the chase or the shooting would have changed this story from hero to zero.

It’s one thing if the bad guys hit bystanders. This video would never have seen the light of public view if the officer had, until it went to court.

Of course he’d not have had any civil liability for the death and unlikely to have charges filed for it either.

Anybody else shoots from a moving vehicle like that, even in some sort of strange but true self-defense scenario? They’re getting arrested and charged for endangering the public. That’s just fact.

He got lucky. That’s just the truth. Very dangerous chase. Even more dangerous to fire from the vehicle.

I guess they are liars then since the anecdotes include people that have been shot by 9's and the damage is no where near what a 40 is. Last cop I talked to, had a friend that was shot with a 9 and this guy was shall we say portly. Didn't even penetrate the fat.

Right, because we know gangsters buy top shelf ammo as a policy. Credibility went out the window when it was " I had a friend". I suggest you rely on more credible info over locker room BS.

Pick up a 9mm with +p and gain two rounds with the same terminal ballistics.

And easier controllability thus a higher rate of fire. And better yet, use Glaser slugs and get better energy transfer as a .45. My personal defense weapon is a 9mm loaded with Glasers. Now - if I were limited to 9mm NATO ball ammo, I'd go with a .45.

Lot of LEOs into IDPA & IPSC now. A lot of departments require more than just a B course level proficiency. Its not like Barney Fife and Mayberry any more. That being said, I wonder how that officer faired in his after action review.

Yes there were some LEOs in our group. The thing about shooting competition is that it gives you a proximal motivation to improve your skills. LEOs or conceal carry citizens simply practicing at the range have a distant theoretical motive - someday you might be in a gunfight and these skills might save your life. Important but it doesn't drive you the way "Next week I'm shooting in the match and need to improve my rank over last month or I will feel embarrassed," drives you. It might be upside down logic, the stakes are way higher in the former, but humans are wired to care much more about a real imminent threat, even if it's minor, than a possible but unlikely event in an unknown future.

Yes there were some LEOs in our group. The thing about shooting competition is that it gives you a proximal motivation to improve your skills. LEOs or conceal carry citizens simply practicing at the range have a distant theoretical motive - someday you might be in a gunfight and these skills might save your life. Important but it doesn't drive you the way "Next week I'm shooting in the match and need to improve my rank over last month or I will feel embarrassed," drives you. It might be upside down logic, the stakes are way higher in the former, but humans are wired to care much more about a real imminent threat, even if it's minor, than a possible but unlikely event in an unknown future.

I used to shoot IPSC myself, and there were quite a few LEO's. I used a pair of Colt Mk IV's (a series 70 and a series 80) and a S&W Model 39. I generally preferred the 9mm to the .45. A couple of the LEO's used (gulp) wheelguns.

I used to shoot IPSC myself, and there were quite a few LEO's. I used a pair of Colt Mk IV's (a series 70 and a series 80) and a S&W Model 39. I generally preferred the 9mm to the .45. A couple of the LEO's used (gulp) wheelguns.

Yes, those few brave souls in our IDPA matches using wheelguns....

Back