Dangerous improper CFI Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to hear the other side of this. I'm not buying much of the version we're hearing.

Cptwing,

I am a student pilot as yourself. One thing I have learned is just to enjoy the ride. You’re flying!

My instructor does what he does and I do what I need to do to keep the plane flying. I do not pay attention to what he is doing because I am to busy flying, looking at the instruments, and looking outside.

@Cptwing - There's only 1 thing we all really have...time! We're pretty similar in age and the older we get the faster it seems to go. What I see is that you are not gelling with your CFI. For many, that is all it takes to move on to another....and they just do it. And good CFI's will understand that and maybe even help you find another.

I was way farther in when I needed to find another CFI. My reset time was probably way more than yours will be. I still think my first CFI is a hell of a pilot and a good decent person. It wasn't easy "firing" him. But for me I needed to. Believe it or not, right after I passed my check ride he was the 3rd person I called (#1=wife/pilot, #2=current CFI, #3=first CFI). I thanked him, he congratulated me and asked me all kinds of questions. Since then I've flown in to say hi once and will probably meet him for a drink this summer or maybe take him to a pancake breakfast because I know he loves that kinda thing.

So then I flew with a much younger CFI. He is hungry to teach and fly. And he teaches a bit differently. He said if it ain't fun somethings wrong. He made it fun and had one really clear goal - to get me to that check ride. A few things also helped, in that he was much closer to our plane after we had to move it (= time saved). And his rates were about half the first one's so any urgency regarding "running out of money" or it "costing more than average" were also no longer and issue.

You know you want to switch and with about 90% agreement everyone is telling you to switch. But you don't. Fool me once shame on them, fool me twice...:)

If you need something to get you over the edge and actually switch...just know this: Learning another plane is a good thing. Do it. You're still early in your training so the reset will be less than you think...maybe 3hrs. Learning from a different instructor is a good thing. The odds of getting along better with the next instructor are either like 9,850% (it was him) or 0% (it is you).

Everyone is saying action not words. You're a guy so man up - action time! If you just keep writing about it and how bad it is, from this point on with all this advice you actually now will deserve your fate. With awareness comes responsibility. You are now aware.

Flying should be fun, exciting, grueling and a little bit frustrating. If you can't make it that way and keep expecting someone else to manage all of it for you, you will never be happy.

@Cptwing - There's only 1 thing we all really have...time! We're pretty similar in age and the older we get the faster it seems to go. What I see is that you are not gelling with your CFI. For many, that is all it takes to move on to another....and they just do it. And good CFI's will understand that and maybe even help you find another.

I was way farther in when I needed to find another CFI. My reset time was probably way more than yours will be. I still think my first CFI is a hell of a pilot and a good decent person. It wasn't easy "firing" him. But for me I needed to. Believe it or not, right after I passed my check ride he was the 3rd person I called (#1=wife/pilot, #2=current CFI, #3=first CFI). I thanked him, he congratulated me and asked me all kinds of questions. Since then I've flown in to say hi once and will probably meet him for a drink this summer or maybe take him to a pancake breakfast because I know he loves that kinda thing.

So then I flew with a much younger CFI. He is hungry to teach and fly. And he teaches a bit differently. He said if it ain't fun somethings wrong. He made it fun and had one really clear goal - to get me to that check ride. A few things also helped, in that he was much closer to our plane after we had to move it (= time saved). And his rates were about half the first one's so any urgency regarding "running out of money" or it "costing more than average" were also no longer and issue.

You know you want to switch and with about 90% agreement everyone is telling you to switch. But you don't. Fool me once shame on them, fool me twice...:)

If you need something to get you over the edge and actually switch...just know this: Learning another plane is a good thing. Do it. You're still early in your training so the reset will be less than you think...maybe 3hrs. Learning from a different instructor is a good thing. The odds of getting along better with the next instructor are either like 9,850% (it was him) or 0% (it is you).

Everyone is saying action not words. You're a guy so man up - action time! If you just keep writing about it and how bad it is, from this point on with all this advice you actually now will deserve your fate. With awareness comes responsibility. You are now aware.

Flying should be fun, exciting, grueling and a little bit frustrating. If you can't make it that way and keep expecting someone else to manage all of it for you, you will never be happy.

But......he WANTS......to REPORT him.....!!!!!

WHERE.....can he REPORT him....???!!????

Best way that I can think of, would be to have him join POA and then we ALL can report him. If we all band together, he wouldn’t last no time!

31281515-6E71-4C32-BE17-345BCAAE2EF6.jpeg

To the OP: if you report the guy, and he finds out it is you, then you will be finding a new instructor whether you like it or not...so save yourself the headache and just get a new instructor now.

And btw, I just finished my IFR training, and my instructor was on his phone constantly too...but I saw that as a good thing, as it told me that I was handling things just fine.

As I suspected you're the problem. No doubt you'll be back complaining about the next cfi. Dude I've been training people for a long time, and when someone blames others for their shortcomings it's very obvious. You wouldn't last as a student of mine, you have the know-it-all attitude I've seen displayed in many trainees.

The word will get around about you. It's a small world in the aviation business.

Remember though, this is the SECOND thread you've started complaining about this CFI yet you continue to fly with him.

Last word from me. Normally I'd say good luck to someone.

What in the world makes you think I would want to fly with you? You have a very high opinion of yourself don’t you. You are a legend in your own mind anyway. Again bad judgement on your part!

Why post on my thread anyway? Get a life and grow up “DUDE”!

Last edited:
What in the world makes you think I would want to fly with you? You have a very high opinion of yourself don’t you. You are a legend in your own mind anyway. Again bad judgement on your part!

The same could be said for you. Rude, name calling, etc.

Time to take your ball and go home. Maybe you should find a forum about forums and ask them how to report us for not acting like you want us to.

I bet you’re a real pleasure to fly with.

Sounds like you need a reality check. You’re highly inexperienced, yet you act extremely arrogant as if you have all the answers, which you clearly don’t. Take the advice you’ve asked for and received and learn from it.

Is there a way to report dangerous improper CFI behavior. Mine frequently plays on his cell phone during Dual instruction. I also feel that him taking personal phone calls while I am sitting out buy the plane waiting, as much as twenty minutes or so and charging the time to my lesson is at best immoral, at likely at least from a civil standpoint illegal. A recent incident that I felt was a safety violation was having me do touch and go's in 20 Knot crosswinds, the plane is certified for 17. There are many other incidents that I could cite but I will refrain for now. Maybe I am all wet here and certainly realize that any actions I take will most likely fall back on me, and I may be looking for another school as well as another instructor.

If you are in a Part 141 school, you need to discuss your concerns with the Chief or Assistant Chief Instructor.

Is there a way to report dangerous improper CFI behavior. Mine frequently plays on his cell phone during Dual instruction. I also feel that him taking personal phone calls while I am sitting out buy the plane waiting, as much as twenty minutes or so and charging the time to my lesson is at best immoral, at likely at least from a civil standpoint illegal. A recent incident that I felt was a safety violation was having me do touch and go's in 20 Knot crosswinds, the plane is certified for 17. There are many other incidents that I could cite but I will refrain for now. Maybe I am all wet here and certainly realize that any actions I take will most likely fall back on me, and I may be looking for another school as well as another instructor.

In Real Life
I hear your frustration, I'd just get a new instructor and be done with it. The school will get the message if all of the students leave a certain instructor. It should be fun to fly.

Personally, my instructor too had me do 24 knot direct crosswind in a Warrior. I had the pedal to the floor, and it wasn't enough. He pushed even harder to show me that I still had some left, and that was enough. The 17 knot thing is just what they were able to demonstrate. So if they weren't able to encounter any higher of a crosswind during their testing phase, then that was the maximum demonstrated crosswind; not saying it couldn't handle more. That's my understanding of it anyway. (civil conversation continues)

On the Internet
You know what your problem is...

Cpt where do you fly out of? If you're close I'll go up with you and give you an unbiased evaluation of whether the problem is with everyone else or not.

Cptwing,

I am a student pilot as yourself. One thing I have learned is just to enjoy the ride. You’re flying!

My instructor does what he does and I do what I need to do to keep the plane flying. I do not pay attention to what he is doing because I am to busy flying, looking at the instruments, and looking outside.

end of thread/

I also rarely look over at my instructor, unless we are transferring control of the airplane I fly the plane and she lets me know what she wants me to do.

For certification purposes the manufacturer has to demonstrate it can handle a crosswind equal to 1/3 stall speed, so they do - and that's what they publish in the POH.

The actual limit is left to the operator to find.

Until you're OUT of rudder: "continue".

See, part of your problem is you can't accept criticism and feel you have to struct your stuff in response. Tough guy. Just confirms the problem lies with you.

image.gif

I reported myself because I answered a phone call on the ramp once when my commercial student was doing preflight. Now off to Costco to spend my fat instructor check on a slice of pepperoni and a hot dog.

OP, you might be better off buying a boat. And maybe some brie, a Volvo, and a Starbucks card. Put NPR on your radio presets, too.

I joke. A little bit. If you're gonna fly, get an attitude that you are in charge, your fate is in your hands (and head), and there will be, someday, no other place to turn for help or guidance. You asked a question that should be embarrassing to you, like what color shirt should you buy, or should you wear boxers or briefs. You got slapped around here, probably too much, but you made yourself a target.

I reported myself because I answered a phone call on the ramp once when my commercial student was doing preflight. Now off to Costco to spend my fat instructor check on a slice of pepperoni and a hot dog.
What, like a whole slice? Mister money bags over here.
Must be a chief instructor

If you're unhappy with your CFI talk to them about it. Regardless of Flight Safety; you are the customer and your comfort in the learning environment is paramount.
The phone should be largely out of reach for most operations; and NEVER out during critical phases of flight (read pretty much all the time when giving instruction!)
If you feel your not getting through; talk to his boss. Failing that, yes, call the FSDO. As a FAAST Team member I've been asked to 'mentor' folks before, the system has its of checks and balances but it's up to you to start the conversation.

The crosswind numbers in my aircraft run a page, and are Certification and Company Limitations. They're different for runway condition, Special Winter Ops certified airports, FO vs CA and time on type.

If you're unhappy with your CFI talk to them about it. Regardless of Flight Safety; you are the customer and your comfort in the learning environment is paramount.
The phone should be largely out of reach for most operations; and NEVER out during critical phases of flight (read pretty much all the time when giving instruction!)
If you feel your not getting through; talk to his boss. Failing that, yes, call the FSDO. As a FAAST Team member I've been asked to 'mentor' folks before, the system has its of checks and balances but it's up to you to start the conversation.
Sorry, but a FAASTteam volunteer is just that, a volunteer. Someone with some aviation credentials (pilot, a&p, etc) that has gone thru some training but has no authority to do anything other than chat in a very limited capacity.

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v15 safety team policies & procedures/chapter 06/15_006_006.htm

We don't know the other side of the story. But to escalate to the FSDO without knowing the whole story is questionable.

The crosswind numbers in my aircraft run a page, and are Certification and Company Limitations. They're different for runway condition, Special Winter Ops certified airports, FO vs CA and time on type.
Maybe for some transport category aircraft, but I've yet to see a non-transport category airplane where crosswind component is listed in the airplane's Limitations section.

For a first time poster I’m surprised at the confrontational nature for the word go. I wonder what the response the OP was looking for? Guess they didn’t get an expected “grab your pitchfork moment”. I haven’t been part of this forum very long but notice this trend from time to time.
I’ve had a number of CFI’a over the years and each was their own adventure. Whether or not you get along or agree, the key is that you are learning, and it sounds like you are learning a lot if you are doing big crosswind landings. I would have never had the balls to call out my CFI when I started but I didn’t have YouTube out there to make me an ATP before my first walk on the tarmac. I agree with a previous poster that everytime you think they might not be paying attention, my current CFI not only knows what I’m doing but what my next mistake is going to be. He will call me out 10 min after something that I missed that was silly and I knew I missed it but thought he might not have been paying attention.

For a first time poster I’m surprised at the confrontational nature for the word go. I wonder what the response the OP was looking for? Guess they didn’t get an expected “grab your pitchfork moment”. I haven’t been part of this forum very long but notice this trend from time to time.
I’ve had a number of CFI’a over the years and each was their own adventure. Whether or not you get along or agree, the key is that you are learning, and it sounds like you are learning a lot if you are doing big crosswind landings. I would have never had the balls to call out my CFI when I started but I didn’t have YouTube out there to make me an ATP before my first walk on the tarmac. I agree with a previous poster that everytime you think they might not be paying attention, my current CFI not only knows what I’m doing but what my next mistake is going to be. He will call me out 10 min after something that I missed that was silly and I knew I missed it but thought he might not have been paying attention.

Well my lessons as of late are just expensive plane rides, virtually no input from the CFI at all, either verbally or on the controls. When I screw up I usually call myself out. As far as having the balls to call out my CFI. I may be different from you, I care about where and how my money is spent. You may have had much better or should I say more involved CFIs than mine. Mine makes up the lesson plans as I walk through the door, and yes I am sure and you can definitely tell.

From what I have seen there are good CFIs and Bad ones. And contrary to the peanut gallery a student is only as good or bad as their instructor.

Instructors vary like anyone or anything else

1 Good CFIs who care about what they do and want to train good pilots.
2 Milkmen who want to bilk clients for all they can, I am just not willing to be the cow.
3 Hour collectors, who only teach they can obtain hours toward ATP.

Curious Your CFIs over the Years? How long have you been taking lessons?

Last edited:
If you're catching and correcting your own mistakes, it sounds like your CFI has done his job.

Why are you bitching again?

[QUOTE="Cptwing, post: 2563374, member: 33904"

Curious Your CFIs over the Years? How long have you been taking lessons?[/QUOTE]

Went to a flight school in Daytona in 99. Had one cfi there. Hated Americans. But taught me how to fly.l but didn’t hold my hand about r either. He Was only there to build time for ATP track.
Came back home got my High performance, and complex sign off with various time building ATP track cfi’s. All part of a flight school and I learned from. Started my IFR back around 2000. But went to PA school and couldn’t do both. Was again part of a flight school and had at least two different CFI’s-time building but I learned.
Took some time off. Then started flying again last year. Got current again and now working on IFR again and should be going for checkride in August sometime. Current CFI is ATP pilot and makes a **it-Ton more money flying then teaching but he deep down loves to teach.
I’m a firm believer if you are not getting smarter you Are getting dumber. I always like to be taking lessons and learning new things. I know after completing my IFR I’ll probably start working on my commercial-not to fly for hire but the training will make you a better pilot IMO.

I asked one simple question and as usual the peanut gallery had to turn it into a sh.. show.

Welcome to POA (or just about any other pilot forum).

I'm on the phone while instructing all the time. The damn thing has all of my charts! It's also where I keep all of my notes about this lesson and all of your previous lessons - which I often update and refer to.

Never met you, but you've always sounded pretty reasonable ... if you said the above, it'd probably relax your customers.

The phone also runs my music, and if someone says they don't want me listening to music while teaching them, they're going to be very disappointed with the result.

I'd rather you were listening for any unusual sounds, engine changes, ATC instructions, etc.

I, as an instructor, have a hell of a lot more situational awareness than you do. I know what's happening ...[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back