Oshkosh - 2018

I can only attend a few days. I’m arriving Sunday and need to leave tuesdayto get back to work Wednesday. Anyone flying out/by/near Columbus Ohio? Happy to share expenses.
Lawrence

Anyone renting a car there? Basler’s website said they aren’t handling cars this year, curious if anyone has a line on another option close to the field?

Is the shuttle to Appleton an option if we don’t park a plane there?
Hertz is in the terminal, over from Basler.

Hertz is in the terminal, over from Basler.

That's one sweet deal if you get lucky. I used to try but gave up years ago. I think the one time I got a car it was at the very end of the show.

But last year I had a good run with Uber. I suppose that having so many people without cars in one spot draws them like flies. I saw quite a few of them hanging out at Friar Tucks waiting for action. But if I had it to do over again I would be sure to install the Uber app while I had good WIFI available.

There used to be a used car dealer on the north side of town that would "sell" you a car on the first day of the show on a 10 day "approval", with all the attendant legal WI paperwork. If you returned it, say, within 5 or 6 days, the "penalty" was $25 a day. Yes, they were junkers, and yes, I wouldn't have bought it with YOUR money, but it was wheels for the show. If there is interest yet this year I'll see if I can find his phone. His name was George if any of the locals know who I am talking about.

Jim

Super exciting reading all the posts here. Unfortunately my tentative arrival got pushed back a day, hopefully going to get in first thing Thursday morning. Otherwise we’ll stick it out at Appleton or Fon du lac and grab the bus to and from.

In sadder news just read over on reddit r/flying that a classic warbird jet (reported to be a Venom) went down in WI on the way in to OSH18.

Fly safe everyone.

I made it as far as Watertown, WI. IFR between us and OSH. When it goes VFR, it’s going to get crazy quickly!

Yesterday was fun. Thank to ATC for all the help! Now we just need ceilings for the C2O arrival this afternoon

D01AAA99-F326-4ECD-9F19-8AD69DF86119.jpeg

3890BAB5-C470-4C90-8F10-DAD01C636D0E.png

3CD77A69-8342-4C46-891B-824F0FDE8E85.png

. . . Camping in Vintage and my understanding is it seldom maxes out. . .

Just to clarify and prevent unnecessary disappointment, Airventure is never closed to 'show planes' which are experimental and vintage aircraft. So if you are on the arrival, and ATC says it is closed, say "I am a show plane." If they ask if you have a reservation, say "I have a reservation." I know the mantra in HBC is "We'll fit you in somewhere!"

Now, if they say a racing enthusiast has planted a business jet on the runway and the field is closed, then you probably have to turn away.

I've never been to Oshkosh, it would be cool if SixpackCharlie would strap a GoPro to his hat and live-stream the whole thing, so I can truly get the Oshkosh experience while sitting here at home.

My plan as of now, is depart M21 tomorrow when the field is predicted to become VFR with 2500 OVC around 1630. Direct BMI for the night which is also expected to become 4000 broken by 7pm. I'll be on standby at M21 starting at noon tomorrow and if forecast remains unchanged, launch for BMI 1630 or sooner. 0430 departure from BMI Monday morning puts me at Ripon around 0715. I have a plan, just need weather to agree with me

Made it to Osh! We came in IFR which made it it pretty painless. However, we had a sporty crosswind landing— not my finest hour but I didn’t break anything on the plane! Tents are up, the plane is tied down in HBC row 318 and we have our wristbands so we’re good to go.

Attachments

• 2903952D-CFA1-4AE5-8C56-0328D12B106F.jpeg
    2903952D-CFA1-4AE5-8C56-0328D12B106F.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 46E11580-7968-4412-9C98-2FF5E71320CD.jpeg
    46E11580-7968-4412-9C98-2FF5E71320CD.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I've never been to Oshkosh, it would be cool if SixpackCharlie would strap a GoPro to his hat and live-stream the whole thing, so I can truly get the Oshkosh experience while sitting here at home.

I considered live streaming the last bit of the leg but I don't even need a hint of a potential distraction. I do have one GoPro on the belly though

Made it to Osh! We came in IFR which made it it pretty painless. However, we had a sporty crosswind landing— not my finest hour but I didn’t break anything on the plane! Tents are up, the plane is tied down and we have our wristbands so we’re good to go.
How far in advance did you get your reservation?

How far in advance did you get your reservation?

72 hours per the STMP process in the NOTAM. Slots went seconds after the 72 hour point, at least for OSH. Don’t know for the surrounding airports, like Appleton, that are also under the STMP.

M'lady liked my sign efficiency. More room / weight available for beer! (click for video):

72 hours per the STMP process in the NOTAM. Slots went seconds after the 72 hour point, at least for OSH. Don’t know for the surrounding airports, like Appleton, that are also under the STMP.
I figured they went quick. It looks like I will be going IFR to DKB then Waiting for the sky to lift for the hop to OSH.

I figured they went quick. It looks like I will be going IFR to DKB then Waiting for the sky to lift for the hop to OSH.
I picked one up last night to get in this morning. If you wait until the end of the confirmation period (12 hours before I believe) some may open up for people who forget to confirm. Might be more like that going back into the system.

Got into Appleton as planned. What wasn't planned was the approach down to 700 feet. Glad I got that IFR slot "just in case"

Saw on TV this morning a C-47 on way to OSH, departing Texas went down with 13 onboard. Everyone survived. Video online. Looked like an aft C/G issue

If you are driving into scholler today, bring a tow rope or a 4x4. Everything west of stitts is a mud hole and east is only slightly better.

If you are driving into scholler today, bring a tow rope or a 4x4. Everything west of stitts is a mud hole and east is only slightly better.
Just heard 9/27 tower say, “turn on hard surface. Grass is unusable.” People are turning on grass off 36 and having no problems in

Well, maybe my father's unscheduled trip to the ER is a blessing in disguise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They’re filling in the far North 40 near the Super 8 now. It’s still soft up here but not too bad. Gonna be a long hike to the showers though.

Been peeking at the webcams periodically. Arrivals look painfully slow for a Sunday afternoon. I guess the weather has kept a lot of folks out. Probably going to be crazy when I get there around 8:00 tomorrow.

There is a stream of planes coming in, but I have friends stuck in Madison, Gary, Ind and Ohio. Ceilings are still low there.

Wow, that was the busiest of the dozen or so arrivals I’ve done. Multiple times, the controllers had everyone between Ripon and Fisk turn to heading 270,then go back to Ripon to re-sequence. Is it really that hard to stay over the RR tracks?Then they would conflict themselves trying to re-join the conga line already sequenced up. Had a Cherokee that definitely would have turned right into me if I hadn’t taken action, his wing was up and blocking his vision of me. Parking filling up quickly, we ended up in front ot the Hilton.

AA5CB5E6-204A-4DB6-B84C-B75FD33BA208.png .

It was a complete cluster around Green Lake. Holding three abreast and people cutting in from all directions. Apparently nobody knows what “in trail” means and they had to keep kicking everyone off of the tracks both before and after Fisk. Mooney mass arrival is supposedly coming in at 5:30. Maybe after that there will be a chance.

I’ve always wondered how the mass type arrivals work. Do they go to Ripon/Fisk like everyone else or are they given a special procedure?

I’ve always wondered how the mass type arrivals work. Do they go to Ripon/Fisk like everyone else or are they given a special procedure?
I’m pretty sure they clear them direct or along some other route from their staging airport (Madison for the Mooney group), usually to land 36L and 36R. Everyone else at Fisk has to go to 9/27 during the mass arrivals. That’s what they did with the Bonanzas and Cessnas.

I’m pretty sure they clear them direct or along some other route from their staging airport (Madison for the Mooney group), usually to land 36L and 36R. Everyone else at Fisk has to go to 9/27 during the mass arrivals. That’s what they did with the Bonanzas and Cessnas.

That’s what I figured.

Back