Watch this before you fly the Fisk Approach into OSH

dembro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dembro
Ok - so the title is a little clickbait-y BUT my hope is that you might actually find this video useful to give a watch before you fly into OSH this year (especially if you've never done it before).

I had the privilege of hitching a ride along with @mjburian for OSH17 and we filmed it. It was INTENSE as a first timer, and I wasn't even flying it. I think the biggest takeaways I have for everyone are:
1. Read the NOTAM - I make a joke about this in the video, but holy crap read the NOTAM.
2. Keep your head on a swivel - there was a fair amount of traffic as we came in and it's probably even more during peak times. If you're making the approach in the coming days, be careful - OSH18 has seen a ton of rain so far and it sounds like lots of folks are waiting in the wings for their opportunity to make the last hop.
3. You've gotta do this! - We're super privileged to live so close.
4. Practice your spot landings and patterns - I say to Marty in the video that I'm not sure I'd have felt comfortable enough to do the tight and short approach they ask you to do, only one way to fix that.

I left the Ripon-Fisk-OSH section of the video like 98% uncut, just a few dead air spaces were cut, so you can get a truer picture of what it's going to be like.

I'll be up at OSH Thursday and Friday of the week this year, hope I can run into some of you!

I wonder why if the winds were 040 @ 9 that they didn't use 09 instead of 27.

I'm not ATC, and I don't play one on TV, but my best guess that they had lots of planes already lined up for departure on 27 (there's a HUGE line of 'em on the taxiways), so they leave it be? Any pink shirts on PoA? 18/36 was closed for some heavy aircraft arrivals (you can hear us talk about seeing heavy iron to the south as we approach) at the time as well, so maybe that makes it harder to switch since all of the traffic is confined to one runway?

What day of the week was that? Flew the same same approach at same time of day on Weds morning in 2016. Funny to us southerners having the sun in our eyes heading northeast like that.

I wonder why if the winds were 040 @ 9 that they didn't use 09 instead of 27.
I was wondering about that as well. If I had been arriving then in the Twin Beech or T6, I would have had to divert with a 9 kt quartering tailwind.

Like it a quarrying tail wind ,does keep the excitement level up.

Never done it before, but read the NOTAM just in case I went in this week. In the Comanche I can maintain 90kts, but am much more comfortable at 135 kts. I wonder which is preferable for the ATC, to slow it down and join the rest or stay high and fast?

Never done it before, but read the NOTAM just in case I went in this week. In the Comanche I can maintain 90kts, but am much more comfortable at 135 kts. I wonder which is preferable for the ATC, to slow it down and join the rest or stay high and fast?

If you can safely fly 90 kts, you should. If you can't they have the 2300' MSL/135 kts version available.

@flyingcheesehead said this last year in a heated discussion. The summary was that it is best if you fly at 90 and 1800.

Except when it's crazy busy and the controllers need to split the 90-knot traffic between both runways and here you come... And they need to make a hole. As mentioned earlier, I've flown the arrival around 3 dozen times, all but one at 1800/90, and I've been to every runway, in about equal measure, when they don't ask me which I want (in which case I usually ask for 27 for shorter taxi to GAC or GAP). The only thing I haven't done is the crossover tracks-to-18 approach.

And yes, that IS the point. You are supposed to fly at 1800/90 unless you are *UNABLE* to do so comfortably.

Also, all the vintage guys are going to be asking for 36. I'd bet a higher proportion of them not only can't do 135, but can't do 90.

You are causing them a higher workload, you just don't realize it.

What day of the week was that? Flew the same same approach at same time of day on Weds morning in 2016. Funny to us southerners having the sun in our eyes heading northeast like that.

This was on Thursday - so probably picking up towards the weekend.

No girls?

I apologize deeply for this. I do have another video with a girl in it shot, just need to get it edited. LOL.

@flyingcheesehead said this last year in a heated discussion. The summary was that it is best if you fly at 90 and 1800.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking. The Comanche can do both, but is obviously more comfortable at the higher speed. I knew both options were available, but didn't know if one was preferred over the other. If I decide to go, 90kts and 1800 it will be.

The Comanche can do both, but is obviously more comfortable at the higher speed. I knew both options were available, but didn't know if one was preferred over the other. If I decide to go, 90kts and 1800 it will be.

I also think things are happening quickly enough that the extra time of 90kts seems to feel worth the effort. Just my impression from the right seat anyways.

Back