This is just wild.!

Yeah, we’re no longer effin’ around when we’re shooting through our own windshield!

Driving,talking on radio ,and firing his weapon,talk about skilled.

Yeah, we’re no longer effin’ around when we’re shooting through our own windshield!

is that really a thing? I was like how accurate can that be, then I thought maybe he was trying to shoot out his own window so he'd have a direct shot.

I've hunted all my life and have been involved in shooting sports since the age of eight. I once shot in a large enclosed area forgetting to put ear protection in both ears. The one thing I can tell you is that guys hearing is never going to be the same.

Don't you police officers trained with off-hand shooting? Even I train with my off hand in my backyard. Pull up next to the dude shoot with your off hand at the tires and peel back. And that way the barrel is outside the window and you don't destroy your eardrums.

Don't you police officers trained with off-hand shooting? Even I train with my off hand in my backyard. Pull up next to the dude shoot with your off hand at the tires and peel back. And that way the barrel is outside the window and you don't destroy your eardrums.

Weak hand shooting is generally reserved for when the strong hand is incapacitated. Because it’s the non-dominant hand (or whatever the terminology du jour is - it’s been the weak hand, off hand, support hand, non-dominant hand), shooting accurately when under tremendous stress is more challenging than with the dominant hand. Training time is very limited, which minimizes weak hand shooting on the range.

Shooting rotating tires is not like folks might expect. It might work, or the bullets could ricochet off the rotating steel belt, especially when fired at an angle. Even if it deflates the tires, it doesn’t stop the threat, which is the person inside who’s shooting at you. Disable the car and you’ve at least reduced it to a gunfight on stable ground. Disable the man and the fight is over.

The real world is a lot different than a square range. There are definitely training takeaways from this, but in the end the no innocent bystanders injured, the bad guys were stopped and the good guys survived. He did well.

Love the old school Motorola mic for the CB. Have seen this video all over, pretty impressive. You know his cop buddies are busting his balls (can I say that on here ?) though for that sloppy reload! Big supporter of the guys and gals in blue

Cops need a PTT on the steering wheel.

That is a great idea!

is that really a thing? I was like how accurate can that be, then I thought maybe he was trying to shoot out his own window so he'd have a direct shot.

Glass does cause some serious deflection. As a sniper I shot thru glass in training quite a bit. The bigger the angle, the worse the deflection.

Unfortunately not as much off hand shooting as we need, but it does get *some attention

Pick up a 9mm with +p and gain two rounds with the same terminal ballistics.

I was surprised he had to do so much radio work. Don't police units have "lowjack" or some GPS positioning beacon in them? Seems it would be easier, and safer.

Heck, even Uber tracks vehicle location.

Excellent analysis. When I was undergoing IDPA training, the instructor pointed out the sad reality that we (competition handgun shooters) actually end up much better trained than your average police officer. On the plus side, we are also much better than your average criminal.

Kudos to that cop for excellent performance though given his circumstance. He had almost no chance of hitting the guys through the windshield but maybe by firing he curbed their firing back somewhat. He had to judge that against the very public backdrop and risk of hitting a bystander.

Cops need a PTT on the steering wheel.

Cop friend told me that that wouldnt work as they need to be able to turn the wheel. However they usually have their left foot free and some agencies spec a PTT foot pedal (instead of a siren toggle).

Excellent analysis. When I was undergoing IDPA training, the instructor pointed out the sad reality that we (competition handgun shooters) actually end up much better trained than your average police officer. On the plus side, we are also much better than your average criminal.

I want to see those IDPA heroes in a situation where the other side is not made from cardboard and shoots back.

I want to see those IDPA heroes in a situation where the other side is not made from cardboard and shoots back.

Like the guy in the video says, the adrenaline and stress makes you revert to your lowest level of training. If you have thousands of practice moves and developed some decent muscle memory you are definitely going to be better than someone who hasn't trained and practiced to that degree.

Or are you saying there is no point in keeping up your partial panel skills because should you experience a failure in the soup the adrenaline and stress will make all that practice not matter?

Cop friend told me that that wouldnt work as they need to be able to turn the wheel. However they usually have their left foot free and some agencies spec a PTT foot pedal (instead of a siren toggle).
Foot pedal would be great.

On the wheel may not be optimum, but it would definitely be better...given the number of times this guy used a wheel-mounted button for something (radio volume, maybe?), it seemed to take him away from driving for far less time than the hand mic.

Could be both. The buses I used to drive had 4 buttons, in a square around my left foot. Left and right turn signal, high beams, and microphone PTT. I was definitely thinking he could use a PTT somewhere. some tough driving for only one hand!

PTT on the wheel is available but most departments don’t want to pay the $$$.

Shooting through the windshield is something we’ve practiced. A now-retired coworker shot a homicide suspect through the windshield when the crook jumped out following a pursuit with .45 in hand.

The mic you see is his collar mic for his portable. Some guys like that, in my area reception would be crud so I use the car mic.

The radio traffic is necessary. In my opinion it was a bit excessive but I wasn’t there. We all have a tendency to babble when the stress goes to 11. This guy rocked it. In a pursuit, most policies require that the sergeant terminate it (no matter what/who we are chasing) if the information isn’t broadcast and updates aren’t coming. GPS is present but looking at your screen isn’t always viable at the century mark while en route to assist.
The biggest radio issue is when guys heading to assist can’t stay off the air. We’ve tried to coach our folks to self-dispatch via the computer (one button) and keep the air clear for the units directly involved.

The reload issue looked like a possible issue of not indexing the mags. Mine are set up so that my natural grip puts mags in the right orientation. Same for handcuffs.

I can tell you this about being shot at. I felt no fear. Only anger and resolve to neutralize the threat. Only when I was out of the scene with the threat safe did my hands start trembling and I nearly perform a class-2 download in my shorts.

Huge respect to this officer.

Last edited:
Kudos to the men and women who still choose to become police officers these days. It's a different world than when I was young and I take my hat off to the men and women that decide to "serve and protect" in a society where your service is not wholly appreciated. The officer in this case did a great job of bringing two thugs to justice.

My winter carry piece is a .40 15+1 :eek:
Summer is .40 5+1

My carry is a LC9, 7+1. Or maybe something different. Or maybe nothing at all. Depends on the situation.

For home defense against the zombie apocalypse, 30 round clip, +5 clips loaded and ready. 180 rounds at my finger tips. Not 9mm. First 5 are armor piercing, tracer round means 5 rounds left. By the time I empty a clip I will have no doubt left about the target(s) intentions.

I find the 50 round clips tend to flex too much in a mad minute and can cause jams, plus they are long enough to be knocked out of commission if bumped against something.

All guns are in the safe when I leave the house. (except the one with me) All concealed home defense weapons are magnet mounted for easy access, usually above a door, and out of children's reach. (I have no kids, but all my friends kids are disciplined to notify an adult if they see a gun)

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Gun...93282&sr=8-20&keywords=magnetic+mount+for+gun

Last edited:
Pick up a 9mm with +p and gain two rounds with the same terminal ballistics.

When the local PDs changed from 9 to 40, I picked up about 10 lifetimes of 9mm Eagle Claw. Enough that I had to buy another safe for storage. So much that I have divided the amount into lots and are in my will for my friends. I did not score nearly as well when they switched from 40 to 10mm.

I can tell you this about being shot at. I felt no fear.

I have never been a target in the USA. In the military the only time I felt real fear about being on the receiving end was when the Navy F-18s were in the air. They had already shot up one US unit earlier.

Any A-10 drivers here, beer is on me.

Got a magazine 30 shot 45apc and it fits the 1911.
upload_2018-7-21_10-26-37.jpeg
Pretty hard to shot accurately, just spray lead in the general direction...:rolleyes:

Kudos to that cop for excellent performance though given his circumstance. He had almost no chance of hitting the guys through the windshield but maybe by firing he curbed their firing back somewhat. He had to judge that against the very public backdrop and risk of hitting a bystander.

Lot of LEOs into IDPA & IPSC now. A lot of departments require more than just a B course level proficiency. Its not like Barney Fife and Mayberry any more. That being said, I wonder how that officer faired in his after action review.

Disagree. Quite a few anecdotes from law officers on 40 v 9 and none of them want a 9.

Sounds more like quite a few who still hold on to the "nines are for girls" mentality. Ballistics don't lie. Wound cavity, kinetic energy, expansion....... the proof is there. But bigger is better has always been the talk at the briefing room water cooler. The new rounds out there have really changed how informed shooters think.

Do you know what the caliber is of the most people killed, other than in combat is? It's .22.

Hows the spring tension on a full mag? You get a lot of stove-pipes? And if not, how does the last few rounds feed?
Spring tension is not real tight, just enough to properly feed. "Stove-pipe..?" Not sure what you mean, I don't shoot real fast, right hand on grips and left hand 3/4 the way down the magazine. 30 feet from target can normally keep it in a 6 to 8 inch circle.

Edit: I did get to go out and fly early today before it got too hot, 60F at TO...:)

Last edited:
I did get to go out and fly early today before it got too hot, 60F at TO...:)

Just when I want to come back to the Southeast, you tell us this......:lol::lol:

Looks like a hot summer up in northwest Ak this year.

Back