How/where to suction-mount iPad in Archer II

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
Hello all,

I need some help -- in the form of best practice suggestions -- as to where/how to suction-mount an iPad mini in an Archer II. I'd like to have the iPad at or near eye-level, so I am not looking at yoke mounts. At least not yet.

Ideally, I want the suction mount on the left side of the windscreen, right above the dash, but the curvature of the glass there does not allow for a vacuum seal. Next location would be the left window but that would place the iPad a bit too close to me to read it comfortably.

I am using a $13 mount I found on Amazon (link provided, and photo attached).

Those of you who are flying P28As or other planes with curved windscreens and use suction-mounted iPads, where do you attach the holders, and what kind of holders do you use?

Thanks for any advise.

61hV0eFp8DL._SL1500_.jpg

On the windscreen? WTH? Would you mount it like that in a car too? All tablets are too big to put up at eye level. If you NEED a tablet, and it's your plane, rearrange the panel/instruments and leave a big blank space for it to mount.

Also....Eyes outside!! Everyone is staring inside waaaaay too much these days.

I never did find a good spot. What I ended up doing was getting a plus sized iPhone and suction cup mounting it in the lower corner on the pilots side.

That setup works very well, it obscures little and it’s close enough I can read it easily.

Do you not like it on the Yoke? I could not find anywhere to put it on the glass so I used a yoke mount and like it. I even have a 9.7 inch on the yoke and find it to not be any problem.

Do you not like it on the Yoke? I could not find anywhere to put it on the glass so I used a yoke mount and like it. I even have a 9.7 inch on the yoke and find it to not be any problem.

I may have to try the yoke at some point. There are a few reasons I prefer a suction mount:

1 - convenience: I rent Archer IIs and Skyhawks from the school where I finished my PPL. And I have this notion in my head that it's easier, faster, and less intrusive to the plane to use a suction mount than a yoke mount.

2 - visibility: having the iPad closer to eye level feels better to me.

3 - me: until I drop 15-20 lbs, I am afraid that the iPad would be too close to my belly if I used a yoke mount.

Coincidentally, I received the Sporty's catalog in the mail, so maybe I should take another look at those yoke mounts.

I may have to try the yoke at some point. There are a few reasons I prefer a suction mount:

1 - convenience: I rent Archer IIs and Skyhawks from the school where I finished my PPL. And I have this notion in my head that it's easier, faster, and less intrusive to the plane to use a suction mount than a yoke mount.

3 - me: until I drop 15-20 lbs, I am afraid that the iPad would be too close to my belly if I used a yoke mount.

Coincidentally, I received the Sporty's catalog in the mail, so maybe I should take another look at those yoke mounts.
The yoke mount goes between the yoke and the,panel, it should never get in the way. Altho, it may be in the way when you do the aileron check and/or the steepest turn possible. If I get out to the airport tomorrow, I'l take a photo.

Pwrsonally, I like the yoke mount better, doesn't really take much more time to install/remove. I've used the suction mount and discovered 1) if not careful, the mount comes loose in the summer heat and 2) leaves circles on the plastic window.

The yoke mount is not intrusive at all. Get the ram mount for the ipad and on the clamp mount. then once you rent the plane position it on control shaft close to the yoke and turn the adjustment knob and all is good. Literally less than a minute to put on. And I promise on the yoke its close enough for the eye balls but I do get your concerns, I use mine in IMC and have to look down but its not that bad at all. And it hugs the yoke pretty close as you can position it dang near touching the control horns so unless your belly is touching the controls already I think you will be fine. B All valid concerns but just trying to give you a bit of insight yo might not be aware of.

Which ipad are you referring to anyway? Ive used the mini and now the 9.7. The larger one I think would be a problem no matter where you put it.

Oh yeah, right there on the LEFT side... since you know it will never obscure visibility in those unusual left patterns. That sounds great.

[And I am Experimental Rob, BTW]

FD7ED8A0-EC8F-412B-AA3F-74C0ECC68189.jpeg
I ended up using the yoke mount in our Skyhawk. It is about a 5 second install. I also used a few zip ties to keep a usb cord attached to the yoke mount. It gives a decent view of the panel. Bottom of the tach is slightly obscured - but I can see the normal rpm range ok. It is nice having the approach plates close.

I have had any luck with the cup mounts. They always loose suction and fall off, especially on hot days.

FWIW, I've seen decent locations for a suction mount in a Cessna single because of the way they wrap around, but not in a PA28.

Portable yoke mounts work fine. They are fine from an "easier, faster, less intrusive" standpoint. At least that's been my experience in Pipers, Cessnas, Mooneys..."

Even in terms of your position and belly concerns, why not borrow one from someone who also rents or flies at your airport and see for yourself. And remember there is no rule saying whether the table must be in portrait or landscape mode or that the arm of the mount must come over the top of the center of the yoke. Whatever you choose, maneuver it around to find the best position for you.

Back