Dangerous improper CFI Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesse I respect a lot of what you said, and spoken (typed) in a professional manner. Likely you are correct in that the owner cares more about making money than safety or loosing me as a customer. Was the cell phone trick part of the syllabus in CFI school, is that an FAA suggested or required method?

Do you think maybe Jorge A. Sanchez, Ralph Knight or Carlo Zanetti Scarpati were using the cellphone trick too? Maybe their situational awareness was just too good? Accidents can happen to anybody even CFIs and DPEs. You do seem a little arrogant, have you ever thought of consulting with DR Salty, he is an expert on ADM, and he may be able to help you with the 5 dangerous attitudes "MACHO" and "INVULNERABILITY" ring loud and clear in your post.

Maybe DR Salty, can explain what happen to the poor souls in the Everglades.

No the kid did not see the 172 coming he even admitted when we had a little pow wow with the tower afterward.

This was my advice stated nicely. I can state it more bluntly if it wasn't clear enough.

"Curly" I knew you be by or is it DR Salty? Maybe you could consult with Jesse he seems to be having a few of the top 5 issues in ADM. Oh any Idea what happened in FL, what ADM issues were they having?

Cptwing I've got a good deal on a backhoe if you'd like to be more efficient around these parts.
Someone I knew in the PacNW would have this playing card tucked into his hatband

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u3.jpg

When asked by others what the symbology was, he replied, "Because I'm the Ace when it comes to verbally digging a hole for myself that I cannot get out of"

My favorite line from one of my favorite Cody Jenks songs, "the more I know the more I know that I don't know", seems applicable here.

Second, the max demonstrated crosswinds for a PA-28-161 is 17 kts...is it the same in a 140? I'd think it's lower because a lower hp engine means less ability to overcome crosswinds.
Why would engine horsepower have anything to do with the ability to overcome crosswind? How often are you landing at full throttle?

Why would engine horsepower have anything to do with the ability to overcome crosswind? How often are you landing at full throttle?

Same reason turning downwind will cause a stall. :D

I, as an instructor, have a hell of a lot more situational awareness than you do. I know what's happening, I know what you did, I know what you're about to do, I know where our airplane is, I know where all the other airplanes are, I know the airspeed based on the sound of the wind, I know the RPM based on the sound of the engine, I know how many gallons are in each of your tanks, I know whether you're on top of your game today or slow. I know all of that while appearing like I'm not paying attention.

Reminds me of when I was training truck drivers. I normally was in the right seat, but once in a great while we had to do a bit of a "team" drive. There were times where I would be back in the sleeper with the curtains closed for four hours, and then yell to my trainee "Hey, you just missed your exit!" and they'd yell back "HOW THE **** DID YOU KNOW THAT?" :rofl: After a while, you just know every curve, bump, and smell for a large portion of the country. In most of the Midwest and Northeast, and some parts of the rest of the country, I can still know where I am by looking at the roads below without even looking at a sectional.

But yeah, the instructor knows better than you do, OP. That isn't to say that he's doing what Jesse is talking about for sure, but have you looked at what he's doing on the phone exactly?

"Curly" I knew you be by or is it DR Salty? Maybe you could consult with Jesse he seems to be having a few of the top 5 issues in ADM. Oh any Idea what happened in FL, what ADM issues were they having?
So you admit you're trolling.

Deal with your problems face-to-face like a grown ass man, being a rat is beyond pathetic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminds me of when I was training truck drivers. I normally was in the right seat, but once in a great while we had to do a bit of a "team" drive. There were times where I would be back in the sleeper with the curtains closed for four hours, and then yell to my trainee "Hey, you just missed your exit!" and they'd yell back "HOW THE **** DID YOU KNOW THAT?" :rofl: After a while, you just know every curve, bump, and smell for a large portion of the country. In most of the Midwest and Northeast, and some parts of the rest of the country, I can still know where I am by looking at the roads below without even looking at a sectional.

But yeah, the instructor knows better than you do, OP. That isn't to say that he's doing what Jesse is talking about for sure, but have you looked at what he's doing on the phone exactly?

I did not see while I was flying but in the GO Pro I can see he was texting his buddies and watching youtube. I guess that is cool right?

I asked one simple question and as usual the peanut gallery had to turn it into a sh.. show.

Don't be such a snowflake. What did you expect from here?

<plonk>

I was thinking about speed and control authority, but you're right - 65 is 65 whether it takes 5% or 50% of the engine to deliver it.

Thanks for the advice, just going to bite the bullet and go elsewhere.
EdFred: I respect your opinions and commentary, even when I do not agree with you.

Unfortunately there is LARRY and MOE or maybe one is CURLY, who provide nothing of any value to most of the posts they make, (not just on my threads). Just useless rant and condescending remarks.
mscard88: Grow up already, man get a life.
James331: Hope you get over your anger issues, and those pesky trespassers. If you really want help with that check this guy out.
https://www.drphil.com/

As I suspected you're the problem. No doubt you'll be back complaining about the next cfi. Dude I've been training people for a long time, and when someone blames others for their shortcomings it's very obvious. You wouldn't last as a student of mine, you have the know-it-all attitude I've seen displayed in many trainees.

The word will get around about you. It's a small world in the aviation business.

Remember though, this is the SECOND thread you've started complaining about this CFI yet you continue to fly with him.

Last word from me. Normally I'd say good luck to someone.

A recent incident that I felt was a safety violation was having me do touch and go's in 20 Knot crosswinds, the plane is certified for 17.
that's not a limitation.. just what they demonstrated it to, said it perfectly:
First, no airplane is "certified" for a certain crosswind. They have a max demonstrated crosswind, but that's it. It is not a limitation.

Is there a way to report dangerous improper CFI behavior. Mine frequently plays on his cell phone during Dual instruction. I also feel that him taking personal phone calls while I am sitting out buy the plane waiting, as much as twenty minutes or so and charging the time to my lesson is at best immoral, at likely at least from a civil standpoint illegal.
Sorry you are having a bad experience with your CFI. Aviation is an expensive but beautiful hobby and is near and dear to our hearts.. sucks when an instructor sours the experience. BUT, you know what the best antidote to that is? Find a different instructor.. or talk to him

Not pointed at you, but this is becoming more and more common in today's society where we expect someone else to fight our battles for us. Getting the FSDO or the FAA involved because this guy bills you for his phone use time, etc., is just going to be one more thing adding to the costs of the FAA.. which is the last thing aviation needs, more costs

Simply fire him and find someone else.. or if your options are limited in your area and you haven't mentioned anything have an adult conversation with him. It really doesn't have to be any harder than it is.

You'll see on other forums "help, what do I do.. my neighbor's dog went to the bathroom in my yard. Should I call the police?" <- like how about just talking to the neighbor first?
Miniature rant over. Cheers all

How quickly they come out of the shadows on this forum, I hardly think I am whining. I just wanted to know if their was an official reporting system, that's all. It seems hard to believe that their is not and the FAA would not find it disturbing at the least that a CFI, technically the PIC on a dual training flight would play on his phone during touch and gos with a student flying the plane. Really you think that is whining? Its a safety issue and a big one.
This is what it looks like when an instructor actually pays attention to your previous and current performance to correlate them and determine whether you are progressing, regressing, or standing still.

I didn't look at the other thread, but I've seen enough from @mscard88 that if he sees a pattern of whining, I'll take his word for it, especially seeing how you've regressed in this thread. If you don't like the way an instructor should act, stick with the guy you've got.

This is what it looks like when an instructor actually pays attention to your previous and current performance to correlate them and determine whether you are progressing, regressing, or standing still.
I took it as a compliment when during my instrument training (and later Cirrus transition) when the instructor would do some personal items during an approach, etc. Showed me that he trust me and my skills enough to shoot that approach in IMC

I just don't get why this person wants to tattle-tail so bad. What's the point? Find someone else to fly with if you don't like his or her style. More and more people these days want to "stop someone else" from doing X, Y, Z... no one forces you to play violent video games, no one forces you to listen to Howard Stern.. no one makes you watch a Bill Burr comedy routine, no one makes you eat meat. Live and let live. Not to say that there aren't bad or lousy "professional" pilots out there... but at the end of the day the CFI made it through a couple hundred hours of flying and several checkrides and tests.. I'd be hesitant to call him unsafe because he checks his phone in flight and landed in a 20 knot wind!

I kept checking my phone on downwind yesterday, MyRadar app, watching a line of tstms 25 miles south. I wanted to solo this guy, so I did while the storms I was keeping an eye on dissipated. But, guess I shouldn't have been according to the OP. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I took it as a compliment when during my instrument training (and later Cirrus transition) when the instructor would do some personal items during an approach, etc. Showed me that he trust me and my skills enough to shoot that approach in IMC
I would say there are other ways to do show trust that would be more professional.
I just don't get why this person wants to tattle-tail so bad. What's the point? Find someone else to fly with if you don't like his or her style. More and more people these days want to "stop someone else" from doing X, Y, Z... no one forces you to play violent video games, no one forces you to listen to Howard Stern.. no one makes you watch a Bill Burr comedy routine, no one makes you eat meat. Live and let live.
For the most part, I'd agree with that. I see nothing in the instructor's behavior that's illegal other than using a cell phone in flight, and that's an FCC issue, not an FAA issue for the most part.

Not to say that there aren't bad or lousy "professional" pilots out there... but at the end of the day the CFI made it through a couple hundred hours of flying and several checkrides and tests.. I'd be hesitant to call him unsafe because he checks his phone in flight and landed in a 20 knot wind!
I wouldn't call him unsafe, but I also don't put any real stock in "a couple hundred hours and several checkrides". I've flown with too many guys I wouldn't trust with an airplane that had upwards of 10,000 hours and dozens of checkrides under their belts to give much credence to logbooks or FAA credentials.

I have not read all the posts on this thread because I didn't see progress on the first page.

I wasn’t there so I would not be inclined to judge either of you.

The only thing that is clear to me is you are dissatisfied.

If you are dissatisfied I suggest you get a different one.

You don’t need a reason and there is no need to get a consensus that he is acting badly.

You are the customer.

As Pilot in Command you will be required to be decisive to be safe.

If it is not working out you may not become a safe pilot.

In my opinion this is the most expensive mistake of all.

PA-28-140 the - something usually refers to the HP

What's the HP of a PA-28-140?
Hint: it isn't 140

Sure, most of the Hershey bar Cherokees match up with HP, but one you picked doesn't, nor do any of the Tapered wing models.

A recent incident that I felt was a safety violation was having me do touch and go's in 20 Knot crosswinds

that will help in the long run, so thank him for that. also 20kt cross wind and 20kt cross wind component are 2 diff things. if he is playing with his phone while you are doing it, you are more than ready.

if he is charging you for talking on the phone, that's a diff issue

Sure, most of the Hershey bar Cherokees match up with HP, but one you picked doesn't, nor do any of the Tapered wing models.

Flight school here has 160 horsies, nice in the summer months. Plus a climb prop.

The 140 can be 140 HP (some were bumped to 150 or 160)
The 180 is 180HP
The 151/161/181 are not

I would say there are other ways to do show trust that would be more professional.
I agree, but he wasn't playing Angry Birds, more like checking our syllabus, seeing if there is a good restaurant on the field for us to grab some eats, etc.

I wouldn't call him unsafe, but I also don't put any real stock in "a couple hundred hours and several checkrides". I've flown with too many guys I wouldn't trust with an airplane that had upwards of 10,000 hours and dozens of checkrides under their belts to give much credence to logbooks or FAA credentials.
For sure. But just seems like this person has an axe to grind. Most people would be closer to "that dude's a clown, I'll see if someone else can fly with me" or whatever

I did not see while I was flying but in the GO Pro I can see he was texting his buddies and watching youtube. I guess that is cool right?
Understand that when you post to a public forum, the public will respond as each participant sees fit. You don't get to set the groundrules. The only rules here are minimal courtesy, avoiding politics ( and possibly religion) and unless specifically noted, should have some relevance to aviation.

The downside of online is there is no face to face contact, no hints as to personality other than what is written. It's almost as if all participants experience some level of online autism because of this, unable to relate to others. Many of us have met in person, and are able to add that personal aspect to the postings. But for complete strangers, it's almost impossible.

This is the second thread you started that resulted in very strong responses, both positive and negative. Your reaction has been frequently hostile or dismissive thru the entire thread. In person, you may be a delightful person, but from your postings, the image is one of impatience, intolerance, and unwilling to take action that isn't validated or justified from an outside source ( this forum ). That Aint gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back