Talk about a rough landing!

Space may be the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement
And Cobain can you hear the spheres singing songs off Station To Station?
And Alderaan's not far away, it's Californication

Sure we actually landed on the moon?

Just kidddingggg!!! :D:p

Man... I was glued to the Tv on every space flight back then, from count down to splash down.

First time I ever seriously talked back to my parents was when the first moon landing was going to happen. I was told I would not be able to watch it unless I ate my green beans. At 10 years old I said something like.... this is history, I am watching it, then I got up and left the table without permission.

I can't wait to see the Orions fly. I'm definitely flying down to see them

Most impressive landing of all time, IMHO. First landing ever done in a different g-field and with no air. Had to take over from the computer, find a new landing site on an alien world, and land manually, with only a few seconds to spare, and a survivable crash would've meant a slow death. Amazing.

I was sitting in a hospital waiting on my little sister to be born watching this on T.V. at 6 years old; she died three years ago.....I think of her every time this anniversary roles around.....

oh yeah? well 5 years ago today, eman1200 solo'd. I'm pretty sure just before I solo'd I heard neil and buzz say "hey eman, just send it!"

'One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind' -Neil Armstrong

That's certainly the most famous Neil Armstrong quote, but my favorite is:

“I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer, born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace and propelled by compressible flow.” - Neil Armstrong

Man... I was glued to the Tv on every space flight back then, from count down to splash down.

First time I ever seriously talked back to my parents was when the first moon landing was going to happen. I was told I would not be able to watch it unless I ate my green beans. At 10 years old I said something like.... this is history, I am watching it, then I got up and left the table without permission.
You Rebel!

Most impressive landing of all time, IMHO. First landing ever done in a different g-field and with no air. Had to take over from the computer, find a new landing site on an alien world, and land manually, with only a few seconds to spare, and a survivable crash would've meant a slow death. Amazing.

I agree completely! I heard other other astronauts (maybe Buzz) speak about how Armstrong always stayed calm in demanding situations even to the point that almost nothing raised his pulse rate. I'm betting that was one of the main reasons he was in that position, and I think it was a good thing!

I agree completely! I heard other other astronauts (maybe Buzz) speak about how Armstrong always stayed calm in demanding situations even to the point that almost nothing raised his pulse rate. I'm betting that was one of the main reasons he was in that position, and I think it was a good thing!

I agree, but in some ways Buzz's cool was even more impressive. Watching Neil land with your life in his hands and only a few seconds to spare must have been pretty nerve wracking, too.

Y'all know moon landings are fake right? It didn't happen, they be lying.

Now, mooning. Yea that's real.

image.gif

He may not have showed it, but his heart rate was definitely capable of being raised. His heart rate ranged from 100 to 150 beats per minute during the lunar landing. And the EKG data from NASA makes it look like his heart nearly exploded at one point (link below). But the man clearly had a superheroic ability to operate under pressure.

We are all told to ignore our inner ear and trust the instruments, and a few of us die every year because we can't do that. Neal Armstrong managed to ignore the fact his heart was beating at the same tempo as Metallica's "Whiplash," which of course didn't even exist yet, interpret and trust instruments, including the guidance computer that had already been acting up during the descent (link below for those who don't know the story), and make a backcountry bush landing on the moon.

http://allthatsinteresting.com/neil-armstrong-heart-rate-during-apollo-11
https://arstechnica.com/science/201...did-not-almost-derail-the-first-moon-landing/

Back