Handheld GPS on Airlines

flyingfrog

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
flyingfrog
Good evening! I avoid flying on the airlines as much as possible, but I ferried an airplane today and have to reside commercial on the way home. Is the TSA going to give me trouble about my Garmin 396 and associated antennas in my carry on? I really don't want to check my bag, but I will if it means my stuff won't be confiscated. Thanks!

They shouldn't give you any trouble. Its allowed to be carried on

Not allowed to be turn it on. At least on AK Airlines.

no, I carry a bag full of electronic nonsense, mostly aviation type and they don't bat an eye. TSA Pre however.
TSA has a website with the list of prohibited things. Bombs, the usual stuff.

Every cellphone has a GPS chip. It's a receiver without any means to interfere with on board electronics. Now one thing I wouldn't do is to start sticking external antennas to the windows or make a big production otherwise.

no, I carry a bag full of electronic nonsense, mostly aviation type and they don't bat an eye. TSA Pre however.
TSA has a website with the list of prohibited things. Bombs, the usual stuff.
My daughter was a coxswain for USC and was carrying her gear bag with a coxbox in it. TSA asked what it was and ended up having an impromptu training session right there at screening in LAX

I sometimes use Garmin Pilot on my phone or tablet on commercial flights. No one has ever given me any grief about it, though you need to be by the window for the GPS to get any reception, typically. Also, on most devices, "airplane mode" disables the GPS for who knows what reason, so I don't have it in that mode either.

Wonder if that's new. Boarded a flight in Juneau a couple of years back and asked the pilot if I could track the flight. He said No..
On most, if not all US airlines, the pilot has the final say on electronic equipment. As a rule, if it doesn't broadcast, it's usually ok, but there are times when the ego/power trip gets in the way.

However, most of the airlines have details on ok/not ok on the website. Check there first. Unfortunately, TSA people rarely understand electronics, and that's where the hangups can be. Many years ago I had one of the earliest tiny SSD music gadgets. Chicago TSA had no clue what it was, wouldn't let me explain what it was, refused to let me demonstrate it. I insisited on a supervisor. They didn't know either. I still have it, too. But not worth using/carrying it, since all the music is now on the iPod. Even TSA knows what an iPod is.

I sometimes use Garmin Pilot on my phone or tablet on commercial flights. No one has ever given me any grief about it, though you need to be by the window for the GPS to get any reception, typically. Also, on most devices, "airplane mode" disables the GPS for who knows what reason, so I don't have it in that mode either.

I have an IPad mini and follow along using ForeFlight. I put it in airplane mode. Only thing that needs to be left on is Location Services for GPS. That’s what I do when flying myself. Saves on battery usage to have it not searching around for nearby Cellular Antennaes or WiFi

I use Avare and Google Maps onbiard the cattle car. Airplane mode is fine, the GPS Location is a different button to turn on and off, just as wifi is. Get a signal and start the app in the terminal, board, turn on airplane mode.

Thanks everyone...no problems taking it through security.

My daughter was a coxswain for USC and was carrying her gear bag with a coxbox in it. TSA asked what it was and ended up having an impromptu training session right there at screening in LAX

I learned something new to day, i had to google coxbox, i had no idea what it was!

I use Garmin Pilot on AK Air all tbe time. Including yesterday. No problems. As far as TSA? No problem at all. The only electronics I've ever had any problem with at airport security was a sat phone in the Paris airport. I've never seen anything like the fuss that made. It would have been entertaining if I wasn't about to miss my flight!

Wonder if that's new. Boarded a flight in Juneau a couple of years back and asked the pilot if I could track the flight. He said No..
I think the captain was probably a bit concerned that the next words out of your mouth might be “Hey Captain, I’ve got 800 hours on my kick-ass home sim so if you boys have any trouble and need an extra hand I’ll be in 23B.” and just wanted you to go away. (don’t laugh, it happens!)

“Hey Captain, I’ve got 800 hours on my kick-ass home sim so if you boys have any trouble and need an extra hand I’ll be in 23B.” and just wanted you to go away. (don’t laugh, it happens!)

Nothing worse for me than to have a private pilot on board asking "why do you do that because as a PP I would never do that...."

I've seen several pax using Foreflight to follow along. Nothing in our Ops Manual against it, just don't try to remove it from the seat mechanism yourself if you loose it down there. We've had. few crushed iPad fires in the posh seats.
I ask just one favor; if the Deadheading Crew Member next to you has their eyes closed, a nudge and 'excuse me; are we deviating around this weather' is not the best way to make a new friend...

Back