Requirements for entering Mode C veil that isn't Class B airspace

Doug F

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DougG
KCVC sits inside the ATL Mode C veil but outside of the Bravo airspace. There are a few other airports that are inside the veil but below Bravo.

I know you need specific clearance to enter Bravo but am not sure what's required for airports like CVC. I'm excluding any Charley or Delta airports, just the untowered airports. Is this airspace handled like a TRSA (advised to participate but not required) or do I need to talk to approach and get a squawk code before breaching the veil?

Thanks for the feedback.

You need a mode c transponder operating. That’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need an operational mode C transponder (unless your aircraft is excepted per 91.215(b)(3)). The communication requirements depend on the airspace. The mode C veil is not a class of airspace.

Well that makes things simple! I've been studiously avoiding flying anywhere near ATL (new sport pilot...don't want to muck up). Once I'm a bit more comfortable, I'll take a shot at landing at those airports.

KCVC sits inside the ATL Mode C veil but outside of the Bravo airspace. There are a few other airports that are inside the veil but below Bravo.

I know you need specific clearance to enter Bravo but am not sure what's required for airports like CVC. I'm excluding any Charley or Delta airports, just the untowered airports. Is this airspace handled like a TRSA (advised to participate but not required) or do I need to talk to approach and get a squawk code before breaching the veil?

Thanks for the feedback.

If the airport is uncontrolled inside the veil and outside or under the Class B. All that is required is a transponder with Mode C.

Stay clear of the Class B airspace squawk 1200 and all is good.

Except in 2020 it becomes an ADSB veil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sense a wager! :) (I don't think it's going to happen either.)

Back