Donut Etiquette

I cut donuts all the time, nothing like a plain donut, cut perpendicular to the donut hole center, then popped in the toaster. Add a little butter, I can't think of a better breakfast meal.

Gives new meaning to "Fat Pills".

Donuts The topic that never goes out of fashion.

Speaking of "donut fashions", caught this on the Bloomberg earlier this week:

Stop Ruining Doughnuts
Not long ago, we were the biggest champions of the doughnut, but now it’s gone too far, Kate Krader and Chris Rovzar wrote. Flavors that shouldn’t work but do, such as “Peanut Butter and Yuzu,” are fine. As is morphing into a cruller or cronut. But a spaghetti doughnut is the latest smash hit at Smorgasburg in Brooklyn, N.Y. Gourdough in Austin introduced the Drunken Hunk, a doughnut topped with a mound of bacon-wrapped meatloaf, potato pancake, and candied jalapeños. Ford Fry in Atlanta created a fried chicken sandwich with egg whose “bread” is actually two whole doughnuts.

Stop it.
The doughnut is nearly a perfect thing, as is.

Here, here! No to the bacon maple bars and the "Luther Burger" things. This is about as exotic as I like to go with the venerable donut:

Leonards2-1-767x1024.jpg

This happened to my mom. She used to tell this story on herself so I guess I can. She was on a diet, but for some odd reason went to a donut store and bought a cup of coffee. On a diet, so no donut. There was a man having coffee and a donut next to her and he got up and left. He left 1/2 a donut uneaten. Unable to resist, she reached over, grabbed the donut and ATE IT! Then the guy CAME BACK!!!!!!!

Last edited:
This happened to my mom. She used to tell this story on herself so I guess I can. She was on a diet, but for some odd reason went to a donut store and bought a cup of coffee. On a diet, so no donut. There was a man having coffee and a donut next to her and he got up and left. He left 1/2 a donut uneaten. Unable to resist, she reached over, grabbed the donut and ATE IT! Then the guy CAME BACK!!!!!!!

Strikes me as odd behavior - on both sides. Did he cut it in half, or did he simply eat half of it and leave the other?

Yeah, he left 1/2 uneaten. It is odd behavior. Its one of these "diet jokes" but happened for real. Mom was horrified and the guy was understanding. Both offered to buy the other another donut. Both declined. The guy thought it was funny.

Yeah, he left 1/2 uneaten. It is odd behavior. Its one of these "diet jokes" but happened for real. Mom was horrified and the guy was understanding. Both offered to buy the other another donut. Both declined. The guy thought it was funny.

You know, if you removed this story from the context of "mom did" it could totally be a romantic pickup scene for a novel. (disclaimer - I'm an action/adventure novelist, not a romance novelist.)

You know, if you removed this story from the context of "mom did" it could totally be a romantic pickup scene for a novel. (disclaimer - I'm an action/adventure novelist, not a romance novelist.)
You want that "eating the donut" should be a new euphemism?

Aight, back to donuts, people!
A co-worker got a promotion today and brought a few boxes of donuts. (3 or 4, IIRC)
Basic donut etiquette dictates to bring some plain donuts if you supply multiple boxes. Not a single plain donut in sight. All of them have sprinkles, pudding stuff, jelly or some sour s**t spilled all over, none of them are "clean".
Way to pi** off your co-workers. :)

Aight, back to donuts, people!
A co-worker got a promotion today and brought a few boxes of donuts. (3 or 4, IIRC)
Basic donut etiquette dictates to bring some plain donuts if you supply multiple boxes. Not a single plain donut in sight. All of them have sprinkles, pudding stuff, jelly or some sour s**t spilled all over, none of them are "clean".
Way to pi** off your co-workers. :)
Gee, here I thought no one wanted plain ones. Consider me learnt!

Oh, the plain ones are great, cut it in half along the circumference, pop it in the toaster, put a little butter on it, yeah baby!
Toaster and butter? Now you ruined it. I usually use milk for dipping them.

Toaster and butter? Now you ruined it. I usually use milk for dipping them.

I never got into dipping donuts, don't like soggy. A little crispy and warm in the middle, plus a little melted butter. Mmmmm, mmmmm.

I had a toasted coconut donut today.

That's all.

Cut 'em in half, toast them and then put ice cream between the halves.

Cut 'em in half, toast them and then put ice cream between the halves.

You may be on to something. How many times have we been lead on with the prospect of jelly filled donuts, only to find plain ones? How about maybe cutting them in to halves, and spreading jam or chocolate in between them?

I'm just thinking out loud here. The number of donuts I eat in a year could be counted on one hand, with some fingers left over.

You answered your own question: nobody wants your half a donut....apparently including the folks who take half a donut. :D

Yes, it's take half of what's left of the donut in the box and leave the rest for the next person. Never, ever take the last piece, especially today.

Summer job before my junior year in HS at a bakery a guy a few houses down owned. He taught me how to make the donuts but warned me about getting Crisco on my pecker (his words, not mine Ted). I didn't answer so he prompted me with "know why", me says "no sir", he says "cause it's shortening". :eek:

Summer job before my junior year in HS at a bakery a guy a few houses down owned. He taught me how to make the donuts but warned me about getting Crisco on my pecker (his words, not mine Ted). I didn't answer so he prompted me with "know why", me says "no sir", he says "cause it's shortening". :eek:

Well now we know how the donuts get holes in them don't we.

Walked into the hospital break-room this morning. Upon opening the donut/bagel/cookie drawer, I was confronted with this laminated sign on top of the 'muffin box':

Bagel_etiquette.jpg

Louisburg Cider Mill sells apple cider donuts.

louisburg-country-store-donut-case.jpg

Good stuff.

Plus, in October, they have a corn maze you can fly over in case you want to cheat.

https://louisburgcidermill.com/corn-maze-pumpkin-patch
Oh man, Matthew, you just brought back a slew of memories from years ago during the Fall and Winter in Michigan. There used to be a cider mill just down the road from my grandparents house that made the best Apple Cider and donuts and they looked just like that. I can smell it now...

@DGlaeser may have heard of Yates Cider Mill and Verellen Orchards?

Walked into the hospital break-room this morning. Upon opening the donut/bagel/cookie drawer, I was confronted with this laminated sign on top of the 'muffin box':

So, is a 1/4 or 3/4 OK?

(Edit: Dang, Bill beat me to it!)

So, is a 1/4 or 3/4 OK?

(Edit: Dang, Bill beat me to it!)

I have a label writer. I think I"ll make an officious looking addition to the sign:
1/3, 2/3 or taking a bite approved.

Back