FAA Medical question from an Army Vet

ArmyVetFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ArmyVetFlyer
Hi guys (and gals) and let me preempt this by saying thanks for all the answers that I may get in regards to my questions.

So, I am looking at getting certified to fly and would love to make it a career... I have had a passion for flying ever since I was a kid and went to "Space Camp" and got the option to do a discovery flight as part of it.

I have a few concerns about whether or not it can become a reality though, and before I go out and buy a $1,000 aviation headset and the likes, I want to obviously make sure that I will be able to make the transition.

1) I have had several kidney stones over the years (2003 & 2012) but the last one that I had was in 2012... So according to what I have read, as long as it has been over 5 years since the last incident, I should be good, is that correct?

2) Also, I receive VA disability for several conditions from my military service... (nephrolithiasis, tinnitus, depression, & bilateral knee strains)

- a surgeon in removing the kidney stone in 2003, perforated my ureter while inserting the stent, and so I receive disability due to that, but it has not caused any issues as a result

- I have tinnitus, it is mild and does not affect my everyday conversations

- I was diagnosed with "depression" and receive compensation for it, but I have never been on medication for it, and have resolved any issues I had through talk therapy.

- I receive disability for bilateral knee strains... this is just due to the degradation on my knees from extended time on them with the heavy loads we sustained as infantry...

I don't take ANY medications for any of these conditions, and have not seen a doctor in several years...

Are any of these conditions going to be an issue, and what documentation should I come up with before going to see an AME for my physical???

Also, would any of these preclude me from getting a First Class Cert?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I figured it would be easier to just get it all out there and see what is said...

Again, thanks for any insight you have!

Daniel

Welcome, Daniel!

All are fair questions.

I'm a kidney stone survivor. FAA is concerned about "sudden incapacitation". They want to be assured that you are at a low risk. I am NOT an AME, but am trying to get you prepared: You might need to get a report from a urologist outlining your risk for recurrence, what you are doing to prevent recurrence, and some sort of imaging (x-ray, CT, ...) that shows you are stone free.

As for the rest - you'll have to wait for other responses and maybe an AME will stop by.

The ideal plan, do not go to the AME for your exam unless you are already sure you can pass. The FAA medical form is online. When you fill it out, you will be given an activation code. The AME you visit will enter that code and activate your exam. At that point it is live and too late to put it off if you get bad news. You can work out a deal in advance with the AME to do a consult. In a consult, do not give the AME that code and the AME can take you through the process without risking you getting a denial.

Good luck!

As stated by the others....

Kidney stone is do-able. Just some particular hoops and steps to take care of to demonstrate to the FAA that you are not going to be incapacitated by painful stone movement while operating an airplane.

The VA Disability items, especially the depression, are going to get some significant scrutiny. Certification is still possible, but you'll need the help and guidance of the right Aviation Medical Examiner to navigate the minefield without blowing off your leg or arm.

The right aviation medical examiner is likely Dr. Bruce Chien (@bbchien on this board). You can start by sending him an email through his site explaining your situation like you did above. http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

And do not fill out any FAA paperwork until you know with 100% certainty that you can be issued your third class medical.

Agree with the others; Dr. Bruce is the guy you need. Might be tricky because of the depression and disability but the details are what matters, and how you approach it with the documentation.

Best of luck to you!

Also, would any of these preclude me from getting a First Class Cert?
I would hold off on pushing for a first class right of the gate. A third class is perfectly suitable for initial training and simpler to obtain, considering the background you shared and with the guidance of Dr. Bruce.

You can always upgrade later if needed.

and before I go out and buy a $1,000 aviation headset and the likes
No need to spend that much for first headset. Many good headsets available in the $200-350 range that will work just fine for primary training.

Still hopeful for Dr. Chien to come by, no response so far, but I have attempted to contact him.... Thanks for all the advice so far!!! Here's hoping it works out!

Still hopeful for Dr. Chien to come by, no response so far, but I have attempted to contact him.... Thanks for all the advice so far!!! Here's hoping it works out!

Submit your known conditions on his website, aeromedicaldoc.com. Doc Bruce is very responsive there.

Your biggest concern is the disability rating for depression. The rating isn’t necessarily a diagnosis, but You don’t get that without something being in your military health records.

Whatever is in your Military health records at a minimum needs to be shared with Bruce factually and truthfully. He will give you specific instructions.

Keep in mind that this week is AirVenture... the good doc could be on vacation

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back