New FIS-B stuff coming to Garmin later this yr

Saw that...kinda shocked that the Aera 796 doesn't seem to be a supported display. Not sure why though because XM already displays those data points on the 796. I'll still be able to get it on the iPad and GTN, so there's that...just was hoping for it on the 796 as that is in my panel too.

Can't wait for this. My sources say 2019 for the certified products to get their sw updates.

In your thoughts, does this make Sirius XM weather obsolete?

Anyone know what the update entails as far as installation goes? Will this require a trip to the avionics shop or is it like installing a database update? I ask because scheduling avionics work is always painful.

Anyone know what the update entails as far as installation goes? Will this require a trip to the avionics shop or is it like installing a database update? I ask because scheduling avionics work is always painful.
its an update to the firmware of your handheld unit, for certificated ones installed on the panel, I am sure the firmware needs to be updated/patched by avionics tech (I will let other people chime in and say that you can do it yourself, followed by others who will say you cant on certificated devices)

I find ADS-B coverage quite patchy away from more populated areas. XM shouldn't be affected by that.

Which matches the FAA coverage map. There’s no multimillion dollar loan plans to fill in that stuff... yet.

There will be a core XM clientele that will continue to subscribe, but FIS-B will continue to peel away customers. XM still has to have the same infrastructure to support 100, or 1000, so the 100 will pay the cost of what had been shared by 1,000. Same reason AOPA dues continue to climb as pilot population declines.

Not sure I understand.
XM gives you METARs, TAFs, Clouds, Lightning...
Isn;t that all the stuff coming to FIS-B?

I would love to have XM, but for 1 cc every 2 or 3 months, just not enough value for me.

I would love to have XM, but for 1 cc every 2 or 3 months, just not enough value for me.
If they bundled in the music, I might bite. I still have the XM puck on my glareshield, but I haven't subscribed for a couple of years. Need to remove that...

There will be a core XM clientele that will continue to subscribe, but FIS-B will continue to peel away customers. XM still has to have the same infrastructure to support 100, or 1000, so the 100 will pay the cost of what had been shared by 1,000. Same reason AOPA dues continue to climb as pilot population declines.

You forget that space junk is highly subsidized and that this was two failed companies who were rescued by loans from Liberty Media and a friendly FCC who allowed the creation of a monopoly.

The aviation product isn’t a pimple on the butt of their 30 million plus total subscribers.

SiriusXM’s infrastructure is the same other than a few servers to go suck data from government sources and put it into their content servers, and after that is essentially the same for audio as it is for weather data. The receiver has to have different firmware and a way to output the data to the connected display device. That’s about it.

They know they’re up against a multi billion dollar “free” system that broadcasts and can be received by a $20 SDR single. It’s unlikely they’ll be messing with the aviation or marine wether prices.

Back