Oshkosh - 2018

With so much going on lately, I hadn't planned on being able to make Oshkosh this year. Then in a moment of enlightenment, it dawned on me that I have the ability to say F off to everything else and head north, so that's the new plan. I'll be there Tuesday or Wednesday through Friday or Saturday. Camping in the North 40. Hope to see some of you bozos there.

Tall Pines Cafe. Extended hours now preshow as well.
Just south of the Ultralight display area (and before you get to the end of their runway.

Unless you’re cooking your own, Tall Pines is the best breakfast on the field. Decent coffee too.

Unless you’re cooking your own, Tall Pines is the best breakfast on the field. Decent coffee too.

We like the breakfast sandwiches at the Subway at the intersection of homebuilts and warbirds...

With so much going on lately, I hadn't planned on being able to make Oshkosh this year. Then in a moment of enlightenment, it dawned on me that I have the ability to say F off to everything else and head north, so that's the new plan. I'll be there Tuesday or Wednesday through Friday or Saturday. Camping in the North 40. Hope to see some of you bozos there.
I'm thinking we will be there for 2 days/1 night during your time frame...if so, I'll shoot you a text.

We're planning to arrive Saturday afternoon and camp in Camp Scholler (Camp Bacon) for the week in a Class C rental RV. I'll be doing the AOPA Rusty Pilot seminar Wednesday morning after our Jambalaya party Tuesday and before Jay's HOPS party. We'll also do the Watermelon Social at the Seaplane base the second Saturday. We're leaving the second Sunday.

I’m going to be lucky to get out of my home airport, both my comps are on the fritz. Maybe I’ll find an avionics guy at Osh who can rectify. Thankfully one doesn’t need comms at Oshkosh.

Um, ya still gotta be able to receive... And answer if they ask you a question...

But if you're coming this way, make a stop at KUES (call ahead) and take your bird to Skycom Avionics. Those guys are fan-freakin'-tastic. If you want to leave your plane down there for a few days, I'd be happy to shuttle you back and forth. #mooneysunite

That is a generous offer. I will give them a call tomorrow. I have strong doubts, I think most decent shops book way in advance. But I’ll try.

Of course, if it works out it certainly throws a monkey wrench in my accommodations!

Last edited:
Standing in the North 40, near the showers. Look South-Southwest through Southwest until you see two large yellow balloons, each about the size of an RV-8. Head for the balloons.

Once inside the tent look for the large balloons. Those ain't balloons, bubba.

You know I've been to OSH 36 times, and NEVER set foot in that place, Jim?

It's just about the last place on the grounds that I haven't been.

IF the same people are running it this year, breakfast in the North 40 Cafe has been outstanding.

Enormous, affordable, and fresh.
That's Major Goolsby. They also run a cafe in Vintage. The portions are enormous.

The SOS brothers are another story entirely. We still have a running joke here when we were coming back from dinner in the city a few years back and Margy goes "Oh, look at the harvest moon." I look over and point out that it's not the moon, it's the beer tent.

That's Major Goolsby. They also run a cafe in Vintage. The portions are enormous.

The SOS brothers are another story entirely. We still have a running joke here when we were coming back from dinner in the city a few years back and Margy goes "Oh, look at the harvest moon." I look over and point out that it's not the moon, it's the beer tent.
I know for a FACT that she’s not the only one to have made that mistake!

Sitting here at work watching the web cams getting anxious to leave! Be there Sunday through Wednesday afternoon.

Sitting here at work watching the web cams getting anxious to leave! Be there Sunday through Wednesday afternoon.

Ditto— except we’re planning for a Saturday arrival if the weather gods cooperate— we’re coming from Virginia so it’s looking a bit iffy at this point.

Ditto— except we’re planning for a Saturday arrival if the weather gods cooperate— we’re coming from Virginia so it’s looking a bit iffy at this point.

We came Saturday last year and it just wasn't worth it. Nothing on the field was open even for food, no trams or buses. The only advantage was the reduced traffic but even then Sunday wasn't bad.

We came Saturday last year and it just wasn't worth it. Nothing on the field was open even for food, no trams or buses. The only advantage was the reduced traffic but even then Sunday wasn't bad.

I'm not saying that you should change our mind. You've tried it and come to your own decision.

For the other readers though... I love the pre-game. There are fewer distractions and many, many great reunions with friends. A car is a great benefit to get offsite, but it's also easy just to bring a day or two of food to hold you over until the carnival food stands open.

I'm not saying that you should change our mind. You've tried it and come to your own decision.

For the other readers though... I love the pre-game. There are fewer distractions and many, many great reunions with friends. A car is a great benefit to get offsite, but it's also easy just to bring a day or two of food to hold you over until the carnival food stands open.

I like the calm before the storm as well, but not having any of the creature comforts for us non car, non food carrying type is a bit of a drag. If I was coming alone where I could carry more provisions I might come on a Saturday again too.

To each his own. We came in Saturday last year too and like it. There’s food available on the field Sat, most just close early, like 4 or 5. We got some burgers over by Homebuilt HQ after that time, IIRC, as weather delayed our arrival until late afternoon/early evening. Plus there’s places to eat just off the field, like Friar Tucks.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of restaurants just off field, so food has never been an issue. I usually bring stuff for lunches, which I do back at my camp site. I tend to go out for dinners.

Paging 6 Papa Charlie ... crash pad thing is out. See message from a few minutes ago. Many, many thanks for volunteering and next year for sure.

Jim

Sat 40% showers, Sunday down to 20%, that should be somewhat workable. It improves Monday/Tuesday.

It’s still a ways out, room to change a fair amount.

You guys see the forecast for this weekend... not awesome.

Scott Dennstaedt, Co-founder of AvWxWorkshops and the WeatherSpork App (it's what I use), is publishing a video series on YouTube on current weather analysis for getting to Oshkosh. Here's the first installment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JMn...ature=youtu.be

If you're coming from the Eastern US like me, I think you'll find it informative. We'll know for sure by Thursday, but it looks our original plan which is to fly IFR to South-Central Indiana to spend the night with friends and head to OSH IFR Saturday morning is our best bet. We'll see how it shapes up over the next couple of days.

Quick question guys, I’ll be flying in for the first time. What does everyone use for tie downs? I was looking at the claw but don’t want to spend 100 bucks for something I won’t use very often. I’ll be flying in a rental plane.

Quick question guys, I’ll be flying in for the first time. What does everyone use for tie downs? I was looking at the claw but don’t want to spend 100 bucks for something I won’t use very often. I’ll be flying in a rental plane.
Best Oshkosh tiedowns I've ever made were (for each tie down) 3 18"-24" bridge spikes and a 6" length of proof chain that the spikes will fit through. Hammer. Drive the bridge spikes through the bottom three links of the chain and into the ground at about a 45° angle to the ground and 120° angle between the spikes (think of a 3-sided pyramid driven below the surface of the ground. The 3 spikes reinforce each other but when it comes time to go home the individual nails come out quite easily with the pull fork of the hammer.

Rope goes through the top link of the chain and to the tiedown. If you are using polypropylene or nylon rope, tie a knot on one end of the rope and burn the end (and a little bit of the knot itself) with a torch to seal the knot together or use PVC cement to glue the knot together permanently. Pass the free end of the rope through the chain and the knot will not pass through the chain. No tied knot at the chain end to come loose.

Bring plywood for under the wheels or get six of your biggest friends to pull you out of the mud when you go to leave.
IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0024.JPG Snapshot - 5s.jpg
Jim

Last edited:
aarrgg. Planning for Saturday departure out of KY and the weather looks like crap.... so far.... Sunday not much better.... I have all week to get (2) nights. I'll get there, but when is the question

Forecasts look awful, but they often do. Most of my big flights this year have been to awful forecasts. Launch as early as you can, storms tend to be in the afternoons. If you can see through a rain shower you can fly through it.

Yup. Just hoping the clouds are high enough.

I will not launch as planned at 0300 if not at least scattered with minimum 5500' ceiling with zero precipitation. VFR at night for me requires extra margin

Yeah, don't try flying at night around rocks to get to the show. Oshkosh is wonderful, but it isn't worth that. Plenty of daylight, you just need to find your window. I've been doing this VFR for many years.

Bring plywood for under the wheels or get six of your biggest friends to pull you out of the mud when you go to leave.

Jim

That be some good advice. I got away with no plywood for a lot of years. Then a couple of years ago I decided to listen and brought 3 pieces. Everyone around me sank into the ground and had a hell of a time getting free while mine just scooted right on out.

I bring little plastic cutting boards. Supper light weight and cheap, they do bend pretty bad but it's a lot better than nothing.

That be some good advice. I got away with no plywood for a lot of years. Then a couple of years ago I decided to listen and brought 3 pieces. Everyone around me sank into the ground and had a hell of a time getting free while mine just scooted right on out.
We had to work pretty hard last year to push the 170 out of it's spot and it only rained one day. This is advice I'm listening too.

Two years ago was the only time I’ve camped with the plane. I’d read everyone’s recommendation to bring plywood. I cut some pieces and brought them. When we got there I looked around and didn’t see anyone else using it, so I didn’t bother. After four days, two of us couldn’t budge that Bonanza. Fortunately, 2 or 3 folks walking by helped, but it still took all we had. Lesson Learned!

This year I ditched my plywood for 1/8” thick aluminum diamond plate squares.

Back