Plane down in ND - 1 fatality

KaiGywer

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KaiGywer
This happened right in the area I fly, but to make it even closer to home, it happened shortly after I flew over the exact same spot.

https://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-news/plane-down-near-fort-rice-nd/1308013758

The article is wrong and says it's a crop duster, it was a C152. The eerie thing is I was holding short for takeoff and this plane landed in front of me. I flew down along the river for some sightseeing with a friend and turned around to go back right around the area he crashed. Heard about it after being on the ground for a while.

This happened right in the area I fly, but to make it even closer to home, it happened shortly after I flew over the exact same spot.

https://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-news/plane-down-near-fort-rice-nd/1308013758

The article is wrong and says it's a crop duster, it was a C152. The eerie thing is I was holding short for takeoff and this plane landed in front of me. I flew down along the river for some sightseeing with a friend and turned around to go back right around the area he crashed. Heard about it after being on the ground for a while.

Bw any ideas on what happened?

Circling... stalled and then crashed... Is what the witness saw, so take that with a grain of salt. Looks like an odd one. RIP

Circling several times at low altitude,could have been buzzing the area. And got into a stall spin accident . RIP

What were the winds like down there at the time?

I got into a turning "dogfight" with an eagle (the bird, not the jet) two weeks ago. I kept up the turn trying to position the plane sp my wife could see him. For some reason the damn bird kept turning and would not let me get on his 6. And no, im not making this up.

After two full 360's the thought popped into my head- "this is how people stall and auger in." I said as much to my wife, rolled level and flew home. Easy to see how people can get sucked into a distraction.

RIP

The pilot was flying for an aerial photography company:

http://www.inforum.com/news/accidents/4474474-pilot-identified-crash-plane-missouri-river-nd

Miller was flying in the area, taking low-altitude photographs when the single-engine Cessna 152 crashed into the Missouri River, according to a statement issued by the sheriff's department. The crash was reported to 911 at 2:30 p.m.

The plane is registered to Arbach Enterprises Inc., of Watertown, S.D., according to FAA records. Filings with the South Dakota secretary of state indicate it is an aerial photography business.

Shoot... all to common. A pipeline inspection crash in my area comes to mind.... Fly Safe out there.

It's at least as pertinent as the type of lens he was using

I had to chuckle when I read that. Certainly good for an extra 'star' on his geography grade.

For extra credit 'this state capitol is located in a high rise building?'

It's at least as pertinent as the type of lens he was using

The lens is pertinent as it is part of the equipment submitted to the vehicle recorders lab.

Back