Appaero Stratus Power

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Been reading about this "USB charging" widget, that it works just fine with the iPad and such. But...the word "charging" is confusing to me. I currently run the Stratux off a battery. Can I plug the Stratux into the Stratus Power USB widget or do I need to keep running it off the battery?

Are you asking about this device?

7957a.jpg

Then if your Stratux device has a USB connection for charging, the answer is yes.

In 55WB, we have a similar USB power port (different brand) and keep the Stratus 2S connected to it full time by a USB cable. Then we make use of the setting in the 2S to wake up when power through the cable is detected.

Did this help?

Last edited:
I’m looking into the status usb connector,seems to be just the device to power both the IPad and the Stratus when on long cross countries.

Not trying to steal business from Appareo, but if you have a cigarette lighter plug it's a LOT cheaper to roll your own solution with something like this. That's what I did and it works way better than any usb plug solution...

https://www.amazon.com/KNACRO-Water...TF8&qid=1531856902&sr=8-16&keywords=28v+to+5v
I do software, not hardware. And really don't have the time to design, assemble all the parts, put it together, test, then install in a way that can easily be removed in case of ramp check. Besides, I only paid half - friend picked up 2 on a special months ago.

I do software, not hardware. And really don't have the time to design, assemble all the parts, put it together, test, then install in a way that can easily be removed in case of ramp check. Besides, I only paid half - friend picked up 2 on a special months ago.

Do you have a cigarette lighter? If so, just order a car charger that either plugs directly in to the Stratus or that accepts USB plug ins??

Do you have a cigarette lighter? If so, just order a car charger that either plugs directly in to the Stratus or that accepts USB plug ins??

I haven't had great experience with those. I have a 28v system and it's hard to find 28v cigarette lighter adapters. The one I did have generated a lot of RFI and at times rendered one comm useless. On one trip it actually burned up and led to a little pucker factor while I tried to determine what was on fire...

I know some may be uncomfortable with a roll your own solution but it honestly isn't that hard and is a lot cheaper. I could be wrong but I don't think there is anything illegal about plugging into your cigarette lighter accessory socket...

Last edited:
I have had this one (MyGoFlight) for several years now, and it works great. Well worth the money. Also works for 28V.

I previously had an automotive one, and it was the cause of RF interference that caused the radio squelch to open at times.

https://mgfproducts.com/dualmicro12-28volt/

dualMicroWeb7__49956.1472657559.600.600.jpg

That's what I've been doing. But I have 3 things to plug in, and 2 require wires across the entire cabin. This lets me plug 2 items on the left corner, where I really want them. Leaving the,lighter for the high amp device - finally!

Not trying to steal business from Appareo, but if you have a cigarette lighter plug it's a LOT cheaper to roll your own solution with something like this. That's what I did and it works way better than any usb plug solution...

https://www.amazon.com/KNACRO-Water...TF8&qid=1531856902&sr=8-16&keywords=28v+to+5v

Idaho can you give me some in-site into how you did this? I have a c172k and the cigarette lighter is on the far right passenger side so charging cords are all across the cockpit. I would love to have a charging port on the pilot side. Thanks in advance.

Idaho can you give me some in-site into how you did this? I have a c172k and the cigarette lighter is on the far right passenger side so charging cords are all across the cockpit. I would love to have a charging port on the pilot side. Thanks in advance.

You may have misunderstood my post. What I meant was rolling your own plug solution similar to the device in Lyco’s post. This is the link to the exact DC-DC converter I used which has two wired USB ports...

https://www.amazon.com/GERI-Convert...&qid=1532216500&sr=8-41&keywords=24v+5v+dc-dc

Wire that to a cigarette lighter plug and you’re in business. My accessory plug has a 3A circuit breaker, but I also fused my solution with a 1A fuse. All in you’re around $15...

You would need to have an A&P move your accessory plug to the pilot side of the panel to be legal...

Back