Have any of y'all done this? Anyone found any surprises?

I did the y dna test that only goes straight up your paternal line. The results traced back to the Borders region of Scotland as expected, but to a different last name, indicating an NPE (non-paternal event) somewhere along the way in resulting in the new name.

My sister did the mitochondrial DNA and got the percentage report. The big surprise there was 1% from Mali. No idea where that crept in, if accurate.

28% Finn/NW Russia
18% Great Britain
17% Europe West
12% Irish/Scot/Welsh
12% Scandinavia
9% Europe East
2% EuroJew
1% Caucasus
<1% Central Asia

One very interesting thing I found was when I viewed some of my DNA matches, and the matches we shared, a distant cousin on my mom's side and I shared DNA with another individual. When I looked at the matches that individual and I had we also shared DNA on my dad's side.
It happens, J and my families most definitely crossed back in PA, long ago

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I isn’t really need a DNA test to tell me my ancestors were broke ass German farmers on one side, and broke ass Dutch farmers on the other.

The fact that they were broke assess is confirmed and documented in Census data from the late 1800s showing where they all stupidly chose to farm. South Dakota and South Park, Colorado. Two of the dumbest possible places to farm anything, ever. :)

I do have a 'surprise' story doing this. Jan '14 my wife and I sold our house in Charlotte and moved into my parents' house in Atlanta to take care of them because they got to old to take care of themselves. Daddy was 91 at the time (he died May a year ago at 94) and mother was 87 (still alive and 90). I decided I wanted to see our ancestry before they died, so I got a sample from Mother and Daddy and did mine and sent it in to Ancestry.com. Results came back and it's all basically European and we're all lilly white. So I never really paid much attention to it. every once in awhile an email from a match asking about one side of the family, etc.

So at the beginning of this year somebody sent an email as usual asking about a certain last name on my daddy's side of the family (matches with others show up in your account) and I told her there wasn't anybody with that surname on his side. A couple of months go by and so in May I get one of those "I'm not sure how to say this or even if I should be writing this at all" emails.

To make a long story short, my daddy was in Honolulu at Ft Derussy just around the corner from Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. He was stationed there a few years. Come to find out, when she did her daddy's and her DNA it came up as a familial match to my dad and me. Come to find out, her dad is my dad's son, in other words a half-brother to me. I go back into Ancestry and I see him in there as a match. What made this so amazing or shocking on their end is that her dad's dad, her grandfather, they never knew it wasn't his real dad and her real grandfather. They were shocked to say the least. So I have a half brother and a couple of half nieces I didn't know about.

So daddy has a bunch of pics from Hawaii so I told her I'd look through them and see if I found any pics of women. There was only one pic with two women in it, early 20s if that, and I send it to her. She writes me back and says 'the woman on the right is my grandmother.' So I've been corresponding with her and she's sent me pics of them. They haven't told anybody else in the family yet. Just her and her dad know. I'm not gonna tell my mother even though he didn't know her at the time. He didn't meet my mother until he got out of the Army. I'm basically had a 'cool' reaction. If you had known my dad it doesn't surprise me at all. Heck, it may not be the only one. lol.

I can see a future where insurance companies will require a DNA sample before qualifying, the government may step in and forbid that sort of targeting just like they regulated pre existing conditions. Then they will turn around and persecute you themselves like all governments are wont to do.

Reminds me of the movie Gattaca. DNA science is fascinating, but also a little scary. Give it another 20 or 30 years, and I can easily see companies (and people, just like in the movie) requiring on-the-spot DNA testing for things.

similar to your confidence in an ex-smoker's lungs healing?
Pulmonary damage from smoking is permanent, period. There was one study in rats that suggested it could be repaired with application of retinoids, but that didn't pan out in humans.

I have no beef with the methodology, it is very solid and reliable. In terms of identifying lawbreakers or paternity it is the only reliable science, the rest is mostly misapplied and unrepeatable. I just don't think they can give the numbers they give with the sort of statistical confidence they claim based on the data they're collecting.

Reminds me of the movie Gattaca. DNA science is fascinating, but also a little scary. Give it another 20 or 30 years, and I can easily see companies (and people, just like in the movie) requiring on-the-spot DNA testing for things.

When that came out in 1997 it was indeed science fiction. Automated sequencing has grown so fast and powerful that it is now science fact. Last time I looked into this you could have your genome sequenced for an AMU. I suspect within a few years it'll be 0.1 AMU, and then less. It is actually a very good idea, because the time will come when we can look at one's genome and determine which drugs will work and which won't. We just have to be careful of the dark side, people trying to use the information in a discriminatory manner.

I do have a 'surprise' story doing this. Jan '14 my wife and I sold our house in Charlotte and moved into my parents' house in Atlanta to take care of them because they got to old to take care of themselves. Daddy was 91 at the time (he died May a year ago at 94) and mother was 87 (still alive and 90). I decided I wanted to see our ancestry before they died, so I got a sample from Mother and Daddy and did mine and sent it in to Ancestry.com. Results came back and it's all basically European and we're all lilly white. So I never really paid much attention to it. every once in awhile an email from a match asking about one side of the family, etc.

So at the beginning of this year somebody sent an email as usual asking about a certain last name on my daddy's side of the family (matches with others show up in your account) and I told her there wasn't anybody with that surname on his side. A couple of months go by and so in May I get one of those "I'm not sure how to say this or even if I should be writing this at all" emails.

To make a long story short, my daddy was in Honolulu at Ft Derussy just around the corner from Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. He was stationed there a few years. Come to find out, when she did her daddy's and her DNA it came up as a familial match to my dad and me. Come to find out, her dad is my dad's son, in other words a half-brother to me. I go back into Ancestry and I see him in there as a match. What made this so amazing or shocking on their end is that her dad's dad, her grandfather, they never knew it wasn't his real dad and her real grandfather. They were shocked to say the least. So I have a half brother and a couple of half nieces I didn't know about.

So daddy has a bunch of pics from Hawaii so I told her I'd look through them and see if I found any pics of women. There was only one pic with two women in it, early 20s if that, and I send it to her. She writes me back and says 'the woman on the right is my grandmother.' So I've been corresponding with her and she's sent me pics of them. They haven't told anybody else in the family yet. Just her and her dad know. I'm not gonna tell my mother even though he didn't know her at the time. He didn't meet my mother until he got out of the Army. I'm basically had a 'cool' reaction. If you had known my dad it doesn't surprise me at all. Heck, it may not be the only one. lol.

Cool story!

My mom's brother has a foot locker full of three ring binders with our ancestry. On the first page it says "William the Conqueror crossed the English channel." My mom always said that half her ancestors arrived on tall ships and the other half were here to meet them. My fathers side can only be traced to his father since the Nazis burned all the records and destroyed everything that could be used to trace anybody from the ghettos of Poland.

My sister talked my brother into taking the DNA test. Now he is in the system.
It pretty much ruined my career as a criminal mastermind.

You'd be safe as a criminal mastermind. The ones who have to worry are people like me. Someone who's more likely to muck things up while committing crimes.

You'd be safe as a criminal mastermind. The ones who have to worry are people like me. Someone who's more likely to muck things up while committing crimes.
Unless you only want us to think you're mucking it up!

My grandfather arrived at Ellis Island from Lithuania in 1912. The immigration officer asked his name. My grandfather told him. The officer asked, "How do you spell that?" He shrugged. The officer wrote it down the way he thought it sounded. Same scenario with every government official he dealt with, so there is no consistency in the records. Years later he unofficially adopted a shortened version of the name. Bottom line, it's gonna be tough to track down my ancestors in the old country.

Spelling was not a requirement to be a census taker or immigration official back in those days, unfortunately. What my mom had to do was take common misspellings of our name and check to see if any ancestors were shared in those families. Turns out I am distantly related to the Rockefeller name. Unfortunately distantly related enough to NOT be in the family money....:(

My grandfather arrived at Ellis Island from Lithuania in 1912. The immigration officer asked his name. My grandfather told him. The officer asked, "How do you spell that?" He shrugged. The officer wrote it down the way he thought it sounded.

My Dad grew up in Patterson NJ. Mostly Polish Jews. He had a friend named Ferguson who was also a Polish Jew. Mr. Ferguson came through Ellis Island and got nervous when the Officer asked him his name. He said he forgot which in Yiddish is "Ikh 've fargesn" and the officer wrote down "Ira Ferguson."

At least that's the way I heard it.

Like passports. And immigration. All fed to DHS, NSA, and CIA. And cross-checked against criminal & terrorist data bases. Heck, could even be a prerequisite to medicare and social security.

There is no way in hell I'm doing that. I do not want my DNA going in to 'The System.'

Not that I'm unhappy that the Bay Area Rapist was caught - but it's creepy how he was caught. Not by his own DNA, but from that of relatives who used a service just like this.

When did you get out of the Army? I had DNA samples for record in 1999 for a deployment in Balkans...for casualty identification purposes I was told. Supposably (intentional), it was a new thing at the time. I'm sure it never goes away.

I similarly ended up with a half brother I didn't know I had, but we didn't find him with DNA. My Dad did something with a lady back in college, well before he met mom. They parted ways and he never knew she ended up pregnant, she gave the baby away. Fast forward 35 years and he goes looking for his biological parents. All he knew was bio-mom's name and what college she attended. He finds her, contacts her, and they reunite, and then they contact my Dad.

So my Dad and my half-brother meet and spend about a year getting acquainted with each other, then one day Dad sits me and my other four siblings down and says, "You each have an older half brother you didn't know about."

He lived about four hours away so we eventually planned a trip up to meet him. I still remember pulling up to the house, him walking out, and me seeing him for the first time. I said to my husband, "He is the spitting image of my Uncle Bob." (Dad's brother.) No DNA test needed, there is no doubt he's Dad's. We have become very close, we couldn't be closer if we'd grown up together.

When did you get out of the Army? I had DNA samples for record in 1999 for a deployment in Balkans...for casualty identification purposes I was told. Supposably (intentional), it was a new thing at the time. I'm sure it never goes away.

Five years earlier than that.

What I find interesting are those who claim they absolutely know their lineage. You may have a strong idea on where your ancestors may have come from, but do you really know for sure? Some don’t care and that’s fine. Some of us are just curious.
I have been doing genealogy research for almost 30 years. I have been searching for an uncle who disappeared in 1903, and also trying to find out why my great-grandfather abandoned his family.
That being said…you can have names and dates going way back indicating a certain region and ethnic line. What you don’t know is, that somewhere way back a child was given away to be raised by another family. So a child born a “Smith” now becomes a “Jones,” which is what happened to my grandmother.
My grandmother was given away because her father abandoned the family and her mother couldn’t care for her. Her mother got remarried and at some point, took back my grandmother. My grandmother (Irish and English) would then, use her birth name (English), or the name of her step-father (English), or the name of the family that took her in (German). Had this happened back 10 generations or so, and had her mother not taken her back, eventually one name (German) would have been settled upon, and that name or ethnicity would have been accepted, yet would have absolutely nothing to do with my grandmother … or me.
As a researcher, the DNA results have confirmed what I wasn’t sure about, and confirmed another direction in which to head.

What I find interesting are those who claim they absolutely know their lineage. You may have a strong idea on where your ancestors may have come from, but do you really know for sure? Some don’t care and that’s fine. Some of us are just curious.
I have been doing genealogy research for almost 30 years. I have been searching for an uncle who disappeared in 1903, and also trying to find out why my great-grandfather abandoned his family.
That being said…you can have names and dates going way back indicating a certain region and ethnic line. What you don’t know is, that somewhere way back a child was given away to be raised by another family. So a child born a “Smith” now becomes a “Jones,” which is what happened to my grandmother.
My grandmother was given away because her father abandoned the family and her mother couldn’t care for her. Her mother got remarried and at some point, took back my grandmother. My grandmother (Irish and English) would then, use her birth name (English), or the name of her step-father (English), or the name of the family that took her in (German). Had this happened back 10 generations or so, and had her mother not taken her back, eventually one name (German) would have been settled upon, and that name or ethnicity would have been accepted, yet would have absolutely nothing to do with my grandmother … or me.
As a researcher, the DNA results have confirmed what I wasn’t sure about, and confirmed another direction in which to head.
If one happens to have had ancestors in Europe before the late 1800s, the country may very well be incorrect. For example, "Bavaria" was in two parts - the part we think of today (near Munich), and a part southwest of Frankfurt. Accordingly, parts of the western section might come up as "French" from DNA data (the ancestry services rely on input from people about where their ancestors originated. Get enough data, and you can infer an approximate location. Similarly areas that were part of the Habsburg Empire. And the British Isles.

A very large majority of people with deep English roots (reaching the 8th to 10th centuries) will also have "Scandanavian" results (Sweden, Denmark, Finland, even some Russian) courtesy of the Viking raids and Danish settlers. To say nothing of the French influx following the Norman Conquest in 1066.

My parents gave me a kit for Christmas. Haven’t done it yet. I’ve always been told I’m “100 percent German”. Should be interesting.

...the time will come when we can look at one's genome and determine which drugs will work and which won't...
The time is just about here. Hundreds of companies are in the genetic engineering space. The general idea is to snip the bad genes out the DNA molecule, and substitute good or harmless stuff (I am simplifying here). Thereby, the problems with every living thing become solvable, from Alzheimers to tasty lamb chops. The three currently popular technologies are:
  1. CRISPR/Cas9
  2. ZFN
  3. TALENs
Please don't ask me to elaborate on the differences; I'm just an electronics engineer who dabbles in biotech stock investing. Last week, the CRISPR folks suffered a technical setback, so the corresponding companies dropped in price a bit. The ZFN fans think that the CRISPR stocks are still way overvalued. Time will tell. I am hoping that they are right, and I get a nice quadruple in Sangamo (SGMO). Give a nice boost to the flying budget.

The time is just about here. Hundreds of companies are in the genetic engineering space. The general idea is to snip the bad genes out the DNA molecule, and substitute good or harmless stuff (I am simplifying here). Thereby, the problems with every living thing become solvable, from Alzheimers to tasty lamb chops. The three currently popular technologies are:
  1. CRISPR/Cas9
  2. ZFN
  3. TALENs
Please don't ask me to elaborate on the differences; I'm just an electronics engineer who dabbles in biotech stock investing. Last week, the CRISPR folks suffered a technical setback, so the corresponding companies dropped in price a bit. The ZFN fans think that the CRISPR stocks are still way overvalued. Time will tell. I am hoping that they are right, and I get a nice quadruple in Sangamo (SGMO). Give a nice boost to the flying budget.
This isn't really what I was referring to. It is true that we have the means to engineer human cells, indeed it has already been carried out in patients. We have the ability but certainly not the wisdom to modify the human germ line, i.e. tamper with out own inherited genomes. I do hope we are sufficiently sage to stay away from that.

What I was referring to was being able to sequence what's there, and from that sequence be able to determine what sort of pharmaceuticals are likely to have the greatest effect. Right now it is little embrue than guesswork.

100% American mutt - no interest in the gene pool that I bubbled up from. Doesn't matter where the ancestors came from, as I ain't going back, and
not feeling the need to brag on dead people I don't know.

Did it and turned out my wife and I had a lot of overlapping geographic heritage, which got me digging into Eastern European history. Fun to read the stuff that schools skipped.

I wish it was possible to do this without the data being stored... or at least being completely anonymized.

It’d be a great business model to get into, a company that has some morals and does this sort of work, encrypts the results with a key only the customer has, even while the data is being analyzed, and then deletes even the encrypted data once the business transaction is complete.

People would pay for that. Big time. Folks want the info a genetic test can provide, like possible medical markers and risks, but also want a trustworthy company with rock solid security and absolute data destruction after the job is complete, to do said business with.

The tech is there, the legal record keeping methods are known, the security policies and procedures are do-able.

It’s possible to create the needed data, never let it be seen by anyone not absolutely critical to the scientific process and never allowed off the machines doing the work and never seen alone by only one person, no cameras ever allowed, no data at rest ever stored in any way other than encrypted with the customer controlled key, every step of the process approved by the customer for security, and full destruction of the data in all systems with the final copy in the hands of only the customer ... etc etc etc.

But first, you have to have a company started with leadership who has impeccable moral fiber and a heartfelt goal that the only thing more important than the data security, is the customer, and that’s why they’re doing it.

It’d be a great business model to get into, a company that has some morals and does this sort of work, encrypts the results with a key only the customer has, even while the data is being analyzed, and then deletes even the encrypted data once the business transaction is complete.

People would pay for that. Big time. Folks want the info a genetic test can provide, like possible medical markers and risks, but also want a trustworthy company with rock solid security and absolute data destruction after the job is complete, to do said business with.

The tech is there, the legal record keeping methods are known, the security policies and procedures are do-able.

It’s possible to create the needed data, never let it be seen by anyone not absolutely critical to the scientific process and never allowed off the machines doing the work and never seen alone by only one person, no cameras ever allowed, no data at rest ever stored in any way other than encrypted with the customer controlled key, every step of the process approved by the customer for security, and full destruction of the data in all systems with the final copy in the hands of only the customer ... etc etc etc.

But first, you have to have a company started with leadership who has impeccable moral fiber and a heartfelt goal that the only thing more important than the data security, is the customer, and that’s why they’re doing it.

Block chain?

This isn't really what I was referring to. It is true that we have the means to engineer human cells, indeed it has already been carried out in patients. We have the ability but certainly not the wisdom to modify the human germ line, i.e. tamper with out own inherited genomes. I do hope we are sufficiently sage to stay away from that.

What I was referring to was being able to sequence what's there, and from that sequence be able to determine what sort of pharmaceuticals are likely to have the greatest effect. Right now it is little embrue than guesswork.
There is already some of that proven and in-use. Unfortunately, the regulatory environment hasn't caught up. And it's far from every drug. And many doctors that won't believe it eve when proven. I have a couple of stories on that but won't post them here.

The regulatory environment is a real mess. To use it for a purpose of drug compatibility, it requires a certain level of FDA approval (related to the claims), a prescription or referral from a doctor, pre-test counseling, post-test counseling, and results to be provided through a medical professional. Oh, and a price tag of 8 to 10 times what you'll pay for ancestral testing. Locally, one of our major hospital groups offers the testing (and they require it as part of standard care for cancer patients). They can do it for residents of Virginia, but Maryland does not permit it for their residents. In addition, they generally can't provide the results to an out of state resident because most states don't permit anyone but doctors licensed in their state from providing test results.

I had a long discussion with the CEO of their group doing personalized medicine research about this. He and they are plugging ahead because of the potential of the technology.

Living in Canada with free healthcare for all has its advantages. Not a perfect system that's for sure but not worrying about insurance coverage or going bankrupt over medical fees is nice.
Ah. Free. Do they mine it?

Back