POA Movie thread

I've lost all tolerance for Hollywood. I refuse to watch anything made in America right now. Until they start writing for all of us again not just the half they think are all of us.

I'll watch amateurish stuff out of Nigeria or Bollywood, and anything out of Europe, especially if it's in something other than English. I keep CC on anyway so why not brush up on my foreign languages? Haven't tackled the Chinese stuff yet; I don't know enough of the far eastern languages to be able to follow along and besides it's no fun not to have the CC in script characters along with English translation. How else are ya gonna learn it?

Wife and I have Movie Pass. We've been to a lot of movies this year.

Would it reveal my abstinence from the big screen if I said, "Monty Python"?
I could add "Airplane", to lock in the revelation of my emotional age.

You might mention that you live four hours from the nearest movie theatre...

I loved Whiplash. That was my first exposure to J K Simmons. I think I even saw him in Whiplash before I ever saw him in the Farmers Insurance ads on TV. When I first saw one of those, I was like WTF - that's the badass guy from Whiplash??? In an insurance ad???

If you like Simmons, check out Counterpart on Starz, where he plays dual roles (kind of like Sam Rockwell in Moon). I have my own theories about where his Counterpart characters are headed, and am looking forward to the next season.
I remember Simmons from the original Law and Order. Definitely a very good actor.

I just finished working through 2016 on Netflix. Last 3 movies I watched were Arrival, Hell or High Water and Hidden Figures. All pretty good, especially Arrival, which I would recommend to anyone who likes conceptual science fiction (even if the premise is fairly preposterous). Hidden Figures was good, inspiring in fact, but played too fast and loose with the facts for my taste.

A few days ago we drove down California Highway 74 ("Palms to Pines Highway") from Anza down to Palm Desert. Very familiar, from the first half-hour of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
Find any buckets that had been kicked?

Find any buckets that had been kicked?
No, but the spot where Smiler Grogan's '57 Ford "went sailing right out there" was easily identifiable. There were a lot of curves where I would not have wanted to go "sailing right out" on that road. We were carrying a lot of stuff in the back of the car, and the line, "I've said it before and I'll say it again, I didn't want to move to California!" also came to mind.

:D

The last several movies we've rented have included:

Three Billboards... - Pretty good movie, really good acting.

Stronger - better than I expected, but I didn't really know what to expect. We had already seen "Patriot's Day", I liked "Stronger" better. It's a good story.

The Shape of Water - It's interestingly styled. The bad guy is pretty good, if that makes any sense.

And one that's a surprise: Paddington. It's a kid's movie, but a lot of fun for grownups, too. Trivia - the same actress is in both Paddington and The Shape of Water.

Just watched Apache Warrior. Not a acting movie but a a documentary. It details the poorly executed deep strike mission into Baghdad in 2003. Pretty good if you’re into war history.

Just watched Apache Warrior. Not a acting movie but a a documentary. It details the poorly executed deep strike mission into Baghdad in 2003. Pretty good if you’re into war history.
Will have to check that out.

Note: "The Phantom Thread" is NOT a Star Wars movie. Just sayin'.

Watched the Isle of Dogs recently and thought it was pretty good. If you like Wes Anderson and his quirkiness you will enjoy it.

This thread popping up reminded me of two movies we just watched (on recommendation from two people a day apart which was coincidental) that are a part of a trilogy, the last film being released this coming Jan '19. Director is M. Night Shyamalan of 'The Sixth Sense' fame. First movie is 'Unbreakable' released in 2000. Second is 'Split' in '17. 3rd is 'Glass' Jan. '19. Don't read anything about these movies if you haven't heard of them. They are movies that have 'spoilers' to them. I liked the second better than the first, but they were both interesting. And if you've seen them and don't like them you can say so, just don't give anything away. :)

Saw Mission Impossible yesterday, with my girlfriend and her son. We enjoyed it. I liked the humor in it. Good clean, pure entertainment for kids like myself. Car chases, explosions, helicopter stunts, skydiving, rock climbing, femme fatale, and of course an impending nuclear disaster averted at the last second by our heroes.

I first saw Simmons in Oz. He was locked in a cell with "Mayhem", the other insurance guy..oddly enough.

Lay the Odds. Bruce Willis and Katherine Zeta Jones. Definitely a sleeper. I really enjoyed it.

Last night we watched, "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore". I forgot how good it is.

Watched ready player one this weekend with my nephew, we enjoyed it. And Saturday we watched Open range, it was slow in the lead up but actually a decent movie. It could have been a bit shorter though.

Watched The Sand Pebbles the other night. One of the stations with no commercials has been on a McQueen jag. Got Papillion and The Getway DVRed. Love those. Haven’t seen these in a few years.

Watched Only The Brave about a week ago. Really enjoyed it. Not sure why it didn’t do better at the box office. Critics liked it as well.

Has there ever been a good gladiator movie?
Someone thought this one was good enough to win 5 Oscars including "Best Picture".

Gladiator_ver1.jpg

Rented The Blackcoat's Daughter from Netflix and watched it a few nights ago. To avoid unless you're really, really into slasher movies. The Netflix description made it sound like a creepy psychological thriller, a genre I like. Other than that the slasher is obviously psychotic, there is nothing psychological about it. It's just a routine, bloody slasher movie, a genre I hate.

Watched Only The Brave about a week ago. Really enjoyed it. Not sure why it didn’t do better at the box office. Critics liked it as well.
I commented on it earlier, too. I liked it a lot. My wife didn't realize how it was going to end. Be careful about choosing this one as a date night movie.

Saw Ant Man and the Wasp. Thought it was quite good, funny and fun. And they weren't trying to save the world, just Michelle Pfeiffer.

Well, just like other installments, the latest installment of Mission Impossible truly earns its name. Still fun though.

Well, just like other installments, the latest installment of Mission Impossible truly earns its name. Still fun though.

Gotta give Tom Cruise credit for going the extra mile for realism.

Last edited:
Watched "The Hero" last night.

Sam Elliot is outstanding. This is the first movie I can remember seeing where he is the lead, I only remember him in smaller parts. Nick Offerman was good in it too.

I kind of like movies where an actor plays an actor, you can tell the good ones. And Elliot is good.

Not a happy movie, it deals with old age, illness, and regrets. But if you want to see a quiet movie with an actor you don't see very often but remember every time you do, check it out.

got myself hooked on Longmire series on Netflix (I know - not a movie, and not recent)

I liked the first season. Beyond that it turned too soapy for my taste. And it had great potential.

I'm glad I don't live in a big city. I'm planning on catching the new MI: Fallout movie in IMAX while in DC this week. The theater wants $15 for the base ticket, $2.50 for buying the ticket, and $1.00 for the "online convenience". That's $20+ after tax for one bloody movie!!

At home the same IMAX ticket would be $12 tops!

Back