women drivers.....

Gotcha. I’m just kinda ocd sometimes. Probably from your perspective (as opposed to the camera angle) it’s a non-issue.

They are generally below the horizon in my sightline, but yeah, as a rule I prefer the cockpit free of loose doo-dads and wires. Anyone want to buy my boat and expedite my avionics upgrade?

People are allowed to have other opinions than your own. Anytime someone disagrees it always jumps straight to "SAFE SPACE"... which really isn't a very substantial argument and really just shows how you can't handle opposing opinions because that is out of YOUR "safe space".

Give me a f'n break! Its not that an opinion was being expressed, its the inherent need of some people to feel offended... Personally, I'm sick and tired of the PC culture... I have no problem with someone expressing their opinion, but when someone feels personally offended by something as simple as a tongue in cheek statement, that's pure BS and where I say "too F'n bad! Buck up SNOWFLAKE!"

Give me a f'n break! Its not that an opinion was being expressed, its the inherent need of some people to feel offended... Personally, I'm sick and tired of the PC culture... I have no problem with someone expressing their opinion, but when someone feels personally offended by something as simple as a tongue in cheek statement, that's pure BS and where I say "too F'n bad! Buck up SNOWFLAKE!"

That's funny. You ignore the fact that language has meaning and the pervasive use of demeaning constructs has an effect (affect? - I can never remember) on humans perception of the world around them (and more importantly their place within it).

But then to double down and complain about people challenging your own non-pc "safe space", that's great.

Tim

That's funny. You ignore the fact that language has meaning and the pervasive use of demeaning constructs has an effect (affect? - I can never remember) on humans perception of the world around them (and more importantly their place within it).

But then to double down and complain about people challenging your own non-pc "safe space", that's great.

Tim
You're such a deep thinker! And such is what enables today's PC BS.... Words mean nothing unless you feel a need to engage. Let someone else speak. Agree or disagree, but don't cry foul and go crying home to mommy!

Oh good "SNOWFLAKE" is the one thing we were missing to make you a perfect cliché. The more you yell and rant and rave about one person (very validly, mind you) commenting on the thread just shows how it really is YOU that's butt hurt and had your (tiny) world bubble popped. If this is the response you give to someone with a different view then you... then that says more about you than them.
You're such a deep thinker! And such is what enables today's PC BS.... Words mean nothing unless you feel a need to engage. Let someone else speak. Agree or disagree, but don't cry foul and go crying home to mommy!
Wait you say Let someone else speak.... as you're sitting there yelling "SNOW FLAKE" "SAFE SPACE" I sense some pot calling the kettle black here.

Oh good "SNOWFLAKE" is the one thing we were missing to make you a perfect cliché. The more you yell and rant and rave about one person (very validly, mind you) commenting on the thread just shows how it really is YOU that's butt hurt and had your (tiny) world bubble popped. If this is the response you give to someone with a different view then you... then that says more about you than them.

Wait you say Let someone else speak.... as you're sitting there yelling "SNOW FLAKE" "SAFE SPACE" I sense some pot calling the kettle black here.

Nah... this all started when @eman1200 was called out for a tongue in cheek statement... That's where the problem lies. You can't even joke around without getting in the mud with some idiot!

Last edited:

Just another proof of my theory: Those who run around screaming "PC is BS" are also the ones who scream loudest when it is their sensitivities that are offended.

I'm with Fly on this. People get overly offended about things that don't have any effect or tie to them whatsoever. Calling them out on it is not a pot/kettle thing. During a discussion one of my friends wives (who cries offensive at everything - even if it's a person self deprecating, and in this case it was) went as far as to say, "if anyone anywhere finds it offensive it's offensive." I looked right at her and said "I find your black coat offensive, does that make it so?" I think a light bulb went off. Sorry, not everything is offensive, and calling someone out on their misplaced outrage is not the same thing as someone crying they've been offended by something completely benign. I think some people don't consider their day complete unless they have found something to be offended by.

I'm with Fly on this. People get overly offended about things that don't have any effect or tie to them whatsoever. Calling them out on it is not a pot/kettle thing. During a discussion one of my friends wives (who cries offensive at everything - even if it's a person self deprecating, and in this case it was) went as far as to say, "if anyone anywhere finds it offensive it's offensive." I looked right at her and said "I find your black coat offensive, does that make it so?" Sorry, not everything is offensive, and calling someone out on their misplaced outrage is not the same thing as someone crying they've been offended by something completely benign.
Not everyone has the exact same view. People are allowed to have different opinions. I'm not arguing one way or another, I'm just saying someone on this board (or anywhere) should not get jumped down their throat for expressing a view different than the majority. Just because you aren't annoyed, disturbed, offended by something does not make it a universal truth because you haven't lived in their shoes.

Not everyone has the exact same view. People are allowed to have different opinions. I'm not arguing one way or another, I'm just saying someone on this board (or anywhere) should not get jumped down their throat for expressing a view different than the majority. Just because you aren't annoyed, disturbed, offended by something does not make it a universal truth because you haven't lived in their shoes.

Sorry, when my friends lily white wife gets offended by something a black person says about themselves, she needs to STFU about being offended by it. These are the snowflakes, and those people need to be called out on their misplaced outrage.

Sorry, when my friends lily white wife gets offended by something a black person says about themselves, she needs to STFU about being offended by it.
Like anything, there are extremes. But what @FlySince9 decided to get all butthurt about was NOT an extreme view.

Extreme? No. Misplaced, absolutely.
And that's fine to argue. But to sit there and yell "SAFESPACE" "SNOWFLAKE" is a bit much and is not really much of an argument except to say it busted his precious bubble, and is pretty immature.

And that's fine to argue. But to sit there and yell "SAFESPACE" "SNOWFLAKE" is a bit much and is not really much of an argument except to say it busted his precious bubble.

I don't see it that way at all. Those of us that don't get offended don't have a bubble. But we do get irritated at people who can't take a joke with no ill will intended. We think those people should be forced to listen to Jimmy Carr for 7 straight days to chill TFO.

There are threads and comments that have gone too far (and that's ME saying they've gone too far) with the -isms. This is not even close to being one of them.

I don't see it that way at all. Those of us that don't get offended don't have a bubble. But we do get irritated at people who can't take a joke with no ill will intended. We think those people should be forced to listen to Jimmy Carr for 7 straight days to chill TFO.

Jimmy Carr is my FAVORITE!

^^^^What you said right there (being irritated at people for ________)^^^^ I'll let you in on a secret...

That's being offended!

No, it's not. Not even close. Mosquitoes irritate me, mosquitoes don't offend me.

And that's fine to argue. But to sit there and yell "SAFESPACE" "SNOWFLAKE" is a bit much and is not really much of an argument except to say it busted his precious bubble.

Mine is not a "precious bubble!" Stop taking everything so literally. The fact that you are so offended by terms like Safe Space and SNOWFLAKE tells me you may have some reason to defend both. Maybe you are one and live in the other. I don't know, and I don't care. Simply, people have to stop looking for reasons to be offended. I'm NOT offended by anything said here. What I am "Butthurt" about ( as you put it), is that people need to lighten up and take things that are said in the spirit they were intended, (which is not always serious slander). Stop crying and enjoy some humor, man!

There are threads and comments that have gone too far (and that's ME saying they've gone too far) with the -isms. This is not even close to being one of them.

Ed,

I think you hit upon something. I don't think eman had any ill will intended, and that comes clear with some of the responses in this thread - some people can't even comprehend that there is anything wrong with making a joke about women drivers in public. It's a simple, stereotypical joke with likely no negative intention.

What it took me having kids to understand is that those little buggers are _sponges_ for information. If the world around them whispers "women are bad pilots, women are bad pilots" they internalize that and it is an even bigger hurdle for me to do my job as a parent. People continue that internalization of norms their entire life.

So I'm not telling eman to stop the jokes if he thinks they are funny and how he wants to represent himself to the world - go for it! I am saying that when one get's called out on it - don't discount the counter argument by using terms like "snowflake" and "PC". Use the brain you were given and consider the argument. If you still think it is crap - fine! - just don't get all whiny and try and censor those that disagree with you. THAT is acting like a Snowflake.

Tim

Ed,

I think you hit upon something. I don't think eman had any ill will intended, and that comes clear with some of the responses in this thread - some people can't even comprehend that there is anything wrong with making a joke about women drivers in public. It's a simple, stereotypical joke with likely no negative intention.

What it took me having kids to understand is that those little buggers are _sponges_ for information. If the world around them whispers "women are bad pilots, women are bad pilots" they internalize that and it is an even bigger hurdle for me to do my job as a parent. People continue that internalization of norms their entire life.

So I'm not telling eman to stop the jokes if he thinks they are funny and how he wants to represent himself to the world - go for it! I am saying that when one get's called out on it - don't discount the counter argument by using terms like "snowflake" and "PC". Use the brain you were given and consider the argument. If you still think it is crap - fine! - just don't get all whiny and try and censor those that disagree with you. THAT is acting like a Snowflake.

Tim

I'm not trying to censor anyone. I would rather them speak up so then we can call them out on how dramatic they are being about something. Also, we aren't telling these jokes around kids. I have a very diverse group of friends I mostly hang out with. I'm a minority in that group. There are things said there that are very un-PC, very racist (but in jest - I'm the only "white boy" there), and a whole lot of other things. We aren't making those comments and jokes when the kids are around. Anyone that's reading this board should be past the sponge stage. Yes this isn't an adult only board, but a what's a 5 year old doing on the internet without the parent supervising them and what they read?

I'm not trying to censor anyone. I would rather them speak up so then we can call them out on how dramatic they are being about something. Also, we aren't telling these jokes around kids. I have a very diverse group of friends I mostly hang out with. I'm a minority in that group. There are things said there that are very un-PC, very racist (but in jest - I'm the only "white boy" there), and a whole lot of other things. We aren't making those comments and jokes when the kids are around. Anyone that's reading this board should be past the sponge stage. Yes this isn't an adult only board, but a what's a 5 year old doing on the internet without the parent supervising them and what they read?

Ed,

I certainly don't think you are trying to censor anyone, and I don't think anyone was overly dramatic when they criticized the joke.

We may disagree though on this: I think people continue to (declining with age) absorb information to understand societal norms their whole life, and I think of this board as a public space.

Kids on the internet - yes, they should be monitored. I also think there are probably young men and women who are still impressionable but past the monitoring stage that will come across these pages.

Tim

Ed,

Tim

JK. sort of.

if you're afraid of your kid being influenced by a "hahaha women are bad drivers haha just kidding" comment, you may not want to let your kids out the front door. I appreciate your comment/feedback, as you had some specific points to be made (whether I agree or disagree doesn't matter). but that's not what's being targeted here. it's the WAAHHHH I'M OFFENDED WAHHH I DON'T LIKE THE WAY YOU SAID HELLO TO ME WAAHHH PAY ATTENTION TO ME WAHHH I NEED MORE ATTENTION WAAAHHH EVERYTHING OFFENDS ME WAAHHH", aka snowflake that is the target. in fact, this particular snowflake was so lame I didn't even see a need to respond to it. if that horribly benign comment I made offended him, HE shouldn't go out the front door either.

IMG_1460.JPG Technically we are all being monitored on the internet.

[username: Not_a_CIAagent, age: ?? location: ?? currently viewing thread "women drivers...."]

@Troska
I grew up in a world where the N word was used more by Black comedians than the general public (because they thought it was funny, or why else would they?) and you could use an Indian as your team mascot without causing an uprising because the symbol was more about the great things an American Indian represented, and everyone understood that. A time when Boy Scouts were boys and Girl Scouts were girls, and a time when High School sports were divided into Girl and Boy events and didn't include Gender Identity as a reason to compete (unfairly, in my opinion) across those divides.

You have to live in the world and form your own opinions. To say that a child hears "women are bad pilots" and that becomes fact in their minds is insulting. They are sponges of information, yes, but they have the ability (or should) to form their own opinions though their own experiences. when you shield them from such things, you are doing them a disservice. Yea, they may hear whispers that women are bad pilots, but they will also hear that many women are GREAT Pilots. The conflict might even make them look deeper into the subject on their own. It's up to them to form their own opinion on the subject. To do otherwise is to impose your opinions on them, meaning you are simply raising clones of yourself.

This is not about getting whiny about anything. It's simply about not taking things so seriously that we can't just have a little humor! My argument is not about your ideals or that I may disagree with your opinion. Its about your inability to just laugh - or not, and not feel the need call someone out on it.

People’s ideas of what is funny differ. There’s no need to hurl “snowflake” insults, and we all now that was meant as an insult, when someone has a different opinion about a joke than you do.

People’s ideas of what is funny differ. There’s no need to hurl “snowflake” insults, and we all now that was meant as an insult, when someone has a different opinion about a joke than you do.

that's not even close to how it happened. no one said "hmm, that's not funny".

Yeah no kidding!

I see, 2800x40’..that’s definitely tight!
I guess I am lucky in a way. I am learning out of a 2700’x100’ grass strip (2NK9) and did most of my first landings at a 2850’x50’ asphalt with tall trees on all sides. And the 50’ number is only the official number, actual pavement is more like 30’ and they put in lights!
All this in an old 150 in the summer. So my patterns are not standard glide slope, but a lot more chop and drop with the 40 degree flaps.
I have more trouble flying a low approach on 3% slope than I do dropping it in over the trees.

@Troska
I grew up in a world where the N word was used more by Black comedians than the general public (because they thought it was funny, or why else would they?) and you could use an Indian as your team mascot without causing an uprising because the symbol was more about the great things an American Indian represented, and everyone understood that. A time when Boy Scouts were boys and Girl Scouts were girls, and a time when High School sports were divided into Girl and Boy events and didn't include Gender Identity as a reason to compete (unfairly, in my opinion) across those divides.

You have to live in the world and form your own opinions. To say that a child hears "women are bad pilots" and that becomes fact in their minds is insulting. They are sponges of information, yes, but they have the ability (or should) to form their own opinions though their own experiences. when you shield them from such things, you are doing them a disservice. Yea, they may hear whispers that women are bad pilots, but they will also hear that many women are GREAT Pilots. The conflict might even make them look deeper into the subject on their own. It's up to them to form their own opinion on the subject. To do otherwise is to impose your opinions on them, meaning you are simply raising clones of yourself.

This is not about getting whiny about anything. It's simply about not taking things so seriously that we can't just have a little humor! My argument is not about your ideals or that I may disagree with your opinion. Its about your inability to just laugh - or not, and not feel the need call someone out on it.

I grew up in the same world, and suffer some of the same frustrations as you do.

We likely disagree to the extent that children and young adults internalize that which they see as the norm in the world around them. I do agree that we should expose them to the conflict and help them form their own opinion - with some guidance. It seems a bit disingenuous to pretend we don't want our children to have opinions _somewhat_ similar to our own.

I think that we all have a choice of how we portray ourselves in public. Impressionable people will look at that, mix it in with all their other inputs and own opinions and that will form a norm in their minds. That will influence them, and in my opinion, ignoring that and pretending it doesn't exist is (deleted - it doesn't matter and I'm not trying to be inflammatory).

Humor/laugh - probably in my case a lot of this stems from my perception of these type of forums as a public discussion and others see it as a private conversation. Though he probably doesn't remember it, I've been to 6Y9 a couple times and had beverages with Ed and enjoyed the time. Never offended me once.

Tim

I grew up in the same world, and suffer some of the same frustrations as you do.

We likely disagree to the extent that children and young adults internalize that which they see as the norm in the world around them. I do agree that we should expose them to the conflict and help them form their own opinion - with some guidance. It seems a bit disingenuous to pretend we don't want our children to have opinions _somewhat_ similar to our own.

I think that we all have a choice of how we portray ourselves in public. Impressionable people will look at that, mix it in with all their other inputs and own opinions and that will form a norm in their minds. That will influence them, and in my opinion, ignoring that and pretending it doesn't exist is (deleted - it doesn't matter and I'm not trying to be inflammatory).

Humor/laugh - probably in my case a lot of this stems from my perception of these type of forums as a public discussion and others see it as a private conversation. Though he probably doesn't remember it, I've been to 6Y9 a couple times and had beverages with Ed and enjoyed the time. Never offended me once.

Tim

I remember everyone that's been to 6Y9. Figured you haven't come back because of me! LOL

that's not even close to how it happened. no one said "hmm, that's not funny".
Someone called you out for a post that they saw as being insulting to women, hence "not funny".

All this in an old 150 in the summer. So my patterns are not standard glide slope, but a lot more chop and drop with the 40 degree flaps.

My first lessons were at a 2200 X 40 Grass over high-tension wires 1/4 mile from the threshold and a "cliff" at the departure end. Those 40 degree barn-doors make a difference...

Someone called you out for a post that they saw as being insulting to women, hence "not funny".

really, that's how you are interpreting that?

ok, well he threatened to kill me. that's how I'm interpreting his comment.

===========the space below is being held for other completely made up scenarios===========

really, that's how you are interpreting that?

ok, well he threatened to kill me. that's how I'm interpreting his comment.

===========the space below is being held for other completely made up scenarios===========
If you don't have a valid argument, post something absurd...

Back