OSH Electric camping sites

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
Changed plans and now we're driving up with a 5th wheel. Do the electric sites fill up quick and stay full?

About half are full now and you have to pay from the day you reserve it through the end of your trip. That's a decent chunk of change vs. paying the day you get there.

Anyone traffic in the pattern please advise. LOL

Changed plans and now we're driving up with a 5th wheel. Do the electric sites fill up quick and stay full?

About half are full now and you have to pay from the day you reserve it through the end of your trip. That's a decent chunk of change vs. paying the day you get there.

You can reserve some electric sites. Don't know if they're filled up yet and might cost more. --> https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/p...on/camp-scholler/electric-and-water-campsites

Yep, and if you leave early there is no refund on unused days like there is on general camping.

That's so stupid, from the day an EAA member makes a reservation. How about from the Saturday before the show starts sure but if I make plans and reseve 3 weeks ago no way I'd pay 65 bucks starting from then. But it's all about money and that place already charges too much for stuff as it is.

For electric all you often get extra is use of A/C, mine anyway. If you can sweat it out some, just go with nothing. I know it depends on others along too. A Honda 2000 watt is quiet for recharging. How’s that long term temp forecast for KOSH?

That's so stupid, from the day an EAA member makes a reservation. How about from the Saturday before the show starts sure but if I make plans and reseve 3 weeks ago no way I'd pay 65 bucks starting from then. But it's all about money and that place already charges too much for stuff as it is.

I'm sympathetic to the pain. But to call it "stupid"? I don't know. These things don't come for free, and there is only one event a year in which to raise the money necessary to run the event and a big part of the organization. Sounds like demand exceed supply by quite a bit, so they can't be too "stupid". :)

Think of it like you own a rental house, and having to cover all your costs based on renting it for 10 days once a year. And everybody who calls you wants to rent it on the same 10 days. ;)

Think of it like you own a rental house, and having to cover all your costs based on renting it for 10 days once a year. And everybody who calls you wants to rent it on the same 10 days. ;)

Now, think of it as the renter. You have to rent it all year, from the day you reserve it, until your vacation is over? Sounds a little unethical at worst, gouging at best.

Now, think of it as the renter. You have to rent it all year, from the day you reserve it, until your vacation is over? Sounds a little unethical at worst, gouging at best.

Perhaps. But then nobody is forcing you to rent anything.

And yes, the costs for the whole year have to be covered by whomever wants to rent it for the requisite 10 days or whatever time period.

Would be nice if my local ice cream shop cut their prices in half and stayed open through the winter...but it don't work like that unfortunately. So they gouge us every summer. :D

Last edited:

I see what you're saying but trust me they will fill the spots. Say 3 weeks ago I call and say starting Saturday I'll be there all week. I pay up front for Saturday to the following Sunday. Then if on Saturday I don't show well hey double dip and rent it out again, you already got my money and now money for all week from a walk in. And if I show up and leave early, well you got my money already and fill that spot again charging the next guy. It's not hard, they shouldn't expect me to start paying for a spot 3 weeks out to guarantee me a spot. If I rent a camping place at a national park a year out I don't start paying for that spot until it starts not daily fees for a year.

I agree it's gouging and yeah I won't do it but PLENTY will and have so they will continue.

If I rent a camping place at a national park a year out I don't start paying for that spot until it starts not daily fees for a year.

Which national park are you going to that has a season that is only ten days long and demand that is many times supply? I've never seen one like that.

Which national park are you going to that has a season that is only ten days long and demand that is many times supply? I've never seen one like that.

Okay none but try to get down to phantom ranch in the GC without a year reservation. Apparently the day I want is popular and they fill up.

But anyways that's not the point I'm trying to make. All I'm saying is the event doesn't start until Monday so if I pay for a spot 3 weeks out and reserve it they already have their money for that spot for an event that doesn't start for 3 weeks away. But I guess the real problem is they open camp scholler a month early so that's why they do it im sure. Theoretically 3 weeks ago I could have drove up and parked my camper. Sure I get it and as long as people will do it can't blame them. But for the rest of the population who lives hours upon hours away it's just not right to start charging from the time of reservation.

All I'm saying is the event doesn't start until Monday so if I pay for a spot 3 weeks out and reserve it they already have their money for that spot for an event that doesn't start for 3 weeks away. But I guess the real problem is they open camp scholler a month early so that's why they do it im sure. Theoretically 3 weeks ago I could have drove up and parked my camper.

There are people there *today*. Those electric sites are extremely popular with the people that show up early to do site prep. It's not just an empty field churning out cash. That's the real reason it starts a month early. The people who want to assure themselves a spot are, in a sense, piggy backing on that reality by paying in advance of their arrival.

There are people there *today*. Those electric sites are extremely popular with the people that show up early to do site prep. It's not just an empty field churning out cash. That's the real reason it starts a month early. The people who want to assure themselves a spot are, in a sense, piggy backing on that reality by paying in advance of their arrival.
I agree and thats what I said in my last post. Still don't like it because I bet there are plenty sites sitting idle waiting for the pre payer to show up. Sucks for them. Oh well the model works..

I'd rather reserve a spot at the Hilton and I won't get charged for the year wait. Haha

I was surprised how much it cost to camp plane side last year considering where I was parked. Not even close to a bathhouse. They need to have reserve sites for the North 40 by the bath houses. Mo money Mo money

We have a choice.

Last edited:
Sooooo, can anyone answer my question?

Back