Aviation Oxygen Tanks Question

airness2345

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rich
Have some oxygen tanks that have been sitting around for a handful of years that are doing me No good. Are these something that need to be updated, recertified, etc? Don't know much about them but looking to try and sell them I guess. Are they worth selling or are the tanks worthless? Just sell the gauges alone? Where can I find out what they do for If I can sell them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 tanks -
1 is 10"
1 is 16 1/2"
1 is 26"20180716_232645.jpeg20180716_232629.jpeg20180716_232609.jpeg20180716_232552.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oxygen cylinders have to be inspected and re-certified with a hydro-static test periodically or they cannot be legally re-filled .

Re-test intervals and maximum lifespan depends on type of cylinder. There are codes that should be stamped into the bottle near the neck. Typical re-tests are every 3, 5 or 10 years. Composite cylinders currently have a maximum 15 year life. Yours look like they are aluminum, which should be stamped with a code 3AL and require 5 year retests.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to know what to do with them. I have zero use for them.

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to know what to do with them. I have zero use for them.

Well, if you don't want to sell them, I suggest filling them up with whatever is cheapest to put in there, then have some fun at the shooting range!

(After they're thoroughly depressurized at the range, I supposed you could take them to an aluminum recylcler.)

:popcorn:

I have no intentions of keeping them. I was just looking for some advice as to whether or not they were worth trying to sell, disposal, just sell the gauges, Etc.

they have value....now, do you have the time to sell them? If so, craig's list them or ebay them

Oh yes, I definitely have time to sell them. I'll just have to do some research to see what they are worth. However shipping them really doesn't seem to be a good option unless it's just the gauges.

Especially if they have been sitting with zero pressure, they need to be inspected. Corrosion can set in very easily. If you're going to store tanks, try to maintain at least 100 psi in them.

Total? Seems a bit cheap but then again, what the hell do I know. Thank you, definitely appreciate the help.

The regulator valves seem to be more expensive than the actual tanks, particularly if they are multi-place. You can ship them ground freight fairly inexpensively if you depressurize them.

Have some oxygen tanks that have been sitting around for a handful of years that are doing me No good. Are these something that need to be updated, recertified, etc? Don't know much about them but looking to try and sell them I guess. Are they worth selling or are the tanks worthless? Just sell the gauges alone? Where can I find out what they do for If I can sell them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 tanks -
1 is 10"
1 is 16 1/2"
1 is 26"View attachment 65071View attachment 65072View attachment 65073View attachment 65074

Just had mine hydro’d at the fire extinguisher place... quick & cheap!

Where RU located?

Paul

Willowbrook, IL

Some people like to have a spare tank so they can completely empty a tank before refilling.

They are worth a bit more if you have them inspected and re-tested. If they fail they are scrap.

New cylinders like these run from roughly $250 to $350 depending on capacity, which should give you a guide.

Back