GPS Reliability - Stratus 1 vs Stratux vs ???

mthomass

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mthomass
Howdy y'all. So, uh, first time caller, long time listener...

I don't know that I've seen this particular thing discussed, so apologies if I've missed something, but I hope to tap the collective experience on the following question.

I'm using ForeFlight on an iPad Mini4 (non-GPS) with an original Stratus. Both of my iPads have been the non-GPS versions - in hindsight, maybe I should have sprung for the GPS versions, but I didn't, so here we are. Unfortunately, I've found the GPS on the Stratus to be pretty unreliable. It's obviously never been my primary source of navigation, but when I'm flying, I just want it to work. I'd wondered if it was something in the particular airplane I was flying, but I've experienced it across several airframes of a couple different types now. I typically place it on the glareshield, so it seems reception should be about as good as one can get inside an airplane.

I'm intrigued by the Stratux and would happy to replace the Stratus, but I'm curious if anybody has any experience or commentary on the reliability of its GPS setup. For that matter, I don't suppose anybody has had a chance to try the new Sentry yet...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Matt

Stratus 1 was always reliable for me.

Built in GPS on the iPad with cell.. not reliable.

Placing it on the glare shield should be fine. I use a Wifi- only iPad myself (no cellular; no built-in GPS). I use a Bad Elf GPS and that works fine for me. I either wear it over my neck or place it on the glare shield as well. I built a Stratux and it works fine too, however I didn't bother with the GPS since the Bad Elf has een working well.

Consider posting your question here as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/

Howdy y'all. So, uh, first time caller, long time listener...

I don't know that I've seen this particular thing discussed, so apologies if I've missed something, but I hope to tap the collective experience on the following question.

I'm using ForeFlight on an iPad Mini4 (non-GPS) with an original Stratus. Both of my iPads have been the non-GPS versions - in hindsight, maybe I should have sprung for the GPS versions, but I didn't, so here we are. Unfortunately, I've found the GPS on the Stratus to be pretty unreliable. It's obviously never been my primary source of navigation, but when I'm flying, I just want it to work. I'd wondered if it was something in the particular airplane I was flying, but I've experienced it across several airframes of a couple different types now. I typically place it on the glareshield, so it seems reception should be about as good as one can get inside an airplane.

I'm intrigued by the Stratux and would happy to replace the Stratus, but I'm curious if anybody has any experience or commentary on the reliability of its GPS setup. For that matter, I don't suppose anybody has had a chance to try the new Sentry yet...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Matt
Interesting...my sample of 1 is the complete opposite of yours...I found my stratux had so-so performance but my stratus 2s rocks. I also have a gps iPad so I’m always able to backup my stratus/stratux positition with the iPad itself...something I had to do with stratux a time or two, but never with stratus.

My Stratux has worked perfectly.
Mine too. Reliable enough that, after a few upgrades last year, I sold my Stratus 2 in favor of Stratux's wider app compatibility.

On the GPS piece, the internal Stratux GPS du jour (the recommendation has changed over time) has always had issues for some (including me). When I updated, I decided to go external. Reception has been without a hitch. (I have always used a WiFi only iPad)

I think the real issue is that the DIY of a DIY product doesn't end. You are going to update and upgrade both hardware and software along the way. Some people don't see that as a downside. Others do.

Last edited:
I first had a ipad mini 1 and now a ipad pro 10.5".
I find the internal ipad gps to be very reliable. I have never lost gps signal. Why carry another unit that needs to be charged? The more stuff usually means more to go wrong.
I tell everyone to get the ipad with the built in gps and ditch the external stuff.

I first had a ipad mini 1 and now a ipad pro 10.5".
I find the internal ipad gps to be very reliable. I have never lost gps signal. Why carry another unit that needs to be charged? The more stuff usually means more to go wrong.
I tell everyone to get the ipad with the built in gps and ditch the external stuff.

If that works for you, great, but the external sensor packages have lots of advantages that you may want:

* 10X the position rate (typically 10Hz vs. the interal's 1Hz), which results in far more detail in your track logs.
* WAAS. Tighter position, with far better altitude. You can now really trust the reported AGL numbers in your app.
* Long battery life. Having the GPS running in the iPad eats up the battery.
* Better internal antenna.
* Available external antennas. If you need it, you can get it.
* ADS-B In. Traffic and weather!
* Attitude. Extra cost option on most sensors so you can run SV.
* Pressure altitude. Some come with a pressure sensor.
* Data logging. Some do automatic, internal data preservation.

I agree, get the iPad with the internal GPS, which I have. Still wouldn't want to do without the external sensor package (early adopter...I have an original Stratus with attitude). Interestingly, one of the least touted features that I actually really love is the data logging. Being able to go back and entirely recreate my flights can help me improve my flying. One thing I wish would be logged would be ADS-B traffic and weather. Would be nice to have a hint about what I might have been reacting to in the track log.

Back