Fine wire plug cleaning

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
First time with this type of plug; did I read 'no abrasive media blasting'?
These are auto plugs in an exp so I doubt I will find ICAs!
Perhaps there is a best practices document somewhere which I can read.

The manufacturer pretty much says don't do it. Some of the "experts" here say they do it all the time.

I wouldn’t blast the plugs with anything. Further, auto plugs are cheap. Why bother worrying about it? I’d just replace them if they’re truly in need of cleaning.

I wouldn’t blast the plugs with anything. Further, auto plugs are cheap. Why bother worrying about it? I’d just replace them if they’re truly in need of cleaning.
Do you understand the price of a fine wire plug? car plugs get cleaned and gapped by most anyone.

Do you understand the price of a fine wire plug? car plugs get cleaned and gapped by most anyone.

Yes. When comparing the price to even the lowest cost aircraft plugs, they are a bargain.

In most aircraft engines I really haven't found it necessary to clean plugs anyway. Just gap and rotate them and be done with it,

Did you read the first post? The question was asking about an automotive plug.

Anyways, I've never seen a fine-wire automotive plug before. Are you sure you don't mean platinum or iridium? If so, don't blast because the very thin plating will quickly be eroded.

Did you read the first post? The question was asking about an automotive plug.
Did you read the title of the thread? There are no such thing as a Fine wire auto plug, So one must assume that the thread is talking about aviation Iridium plugs.

Did you read the title of the thread? There are no such thing as a Fine wire auto plug, So one must assume that the thread is talking about aviation Iridium plugs.

What part of “These are auto plugs in an exp so I doubt I will find ICAs” did you not understand?

What part of “These are auto plugs in an exp so I doubt I will find ICAs” did you not understand?
What I didn't understand is, how an auto plug can be called a "fine wire" do you understand the difference ?
When you talk any subject, use proper terminology. (big lesson for some)

What I didn't understand is, how an auto plug can be called a "fine wire" do you understand the difference ?
When you talk any subject, use proper terminology. (big lesson for some)

Well, I suppose that an automotive spark plug can be called fine wire, when the manufacturer designates it as fine wire. Like Bosch does.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/spark-plugs/iridium-spark-plugs

“The ultra-fine wire iridium center electrode pin delivers best performance.“

Cancel.
After looking close at the old ones, they are beyond gap spec - there is significant wear on the 'larger' electrode, the grounded one. Have developed a 'step' on the underside due to erosion. Wondering why but yes, new ones are $7.50

I worked at a dealership that had a sparkplug blaster/cleaner that we used to clean plugs. First we would media blast’em then shoot compresssd air into them to remove any media grit left behind. If the mechanic was lazy (as many are) and did not inspect the plugs with a bright light after cleaning there was a possibility of some of the grit still lodged between the insulator and the metal shell. This would eventually dislodge itself and possibly damage the inside of the cylinder. Just a small tip if you media blast your plugs.

Cancel.
After looking close at the old ones, they are beyond gap spec - there is significant wear on the 'larger' electrode, the grounded one. Have developed a 'step' on the underside due to erosion. Wondering why but yes, new ones are $7.50
So, clean them gap them and put them back in.

Nope, the large electrode now has a very irregular shape and is paper thin at the tip on several.

Everyone I know that runs Auto plugs in their experimental replaces them every 100 hrs or condition inspection. I run one P-Mag and one Mag. The P-Mag gets NGK BR8ES (~$10 for a pack of 4) and I run Tempest fine wire plugs on the mag, which will eventually be replaced with another electronic ignition.

The other reason to change the plugs more often might be that normally we'd change out the gaskets but these are integral to the plug so no way to change them...unless they are somehow designed to be reused.

Back