I hope they recover quickly and are OK!

Engine out on takeoff is probably the second worst nightmare scenario just behind fire while airborne. Hurray for Gary for getting both down in one pice. Heal up so we an toast your good health one of these days.

My paranoid fear is a wing falling off in-flight.

Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet.

If it does, well, then I suppose I will have not been so paranoid. But the MU-2 is built like a tank, and wings falling off are quite rare in general.

Strangely I have that fear more in low-wings. Maybe it's just because I'm looking at the wing more and it's in my mind?:dunno:

The 310's wings bounced quite a bit on taxi and in turbulence, and I never felt good about that. But they never fell off.

My CFI said to keep flying the plane in a situation like this.

Easier said than done in an emergency, as we see regularly.

Nice job to keep flying the plane Gary!

Sounds like he flew the plane until it stopped, which is probably why he is more injured than his wife who would have had time to brace for the impact, I imagine he had the wheel pulled back in a flare then unfortunately he hit something that stopped the plane quickly versus skimming in the field. His flying the plane until it stopped is also why they both survived, so great work. It will be interesting to find out why the engine stopped producing power. Not sure I will fly in an ac with out shoulder straps after hearing about this.

Gary, I don't know you, but really great stuff mate. You did extremely well on a very bad day. Glad you and the wife walked out... Nice work.

Anyone have an update on Gary And Mary???

Gary mentioned elsewhere that he was told he needed another facial surgery. He wasn’t super enthused about it, but was ready to get on with it.

You might say... he didn’t want to take it lying down? :) :) :)

Eh, @GMascelli ...?

He reported that his wife was up and about and was delivering him better food than the hospital fare, when she could. :)

Hang in there Gary, I'm betting life has its challenges right now for you, here's to getting them into the past as quickly as possible. One day at a time, look for the improvements as you go through this.

Just a quick update...

Last surgery on my right leg completed on Friday. I just got shipped over to Health South acute rehab in Salisbury Maryland. I was sent here after the first surgery. I hope to be home for good next week.

Mary goes in for back surgery on Friday, as an outpatient. I think two hour procedure three hours of lying flat on her back and then probably a week or two of pretty much zero activity at home. I know she’s scared but she has proved she’s pretty tough. I know she’ll get through this.

Here are a few photos of my recent leg surgery ,the tin man’s got nothing on me.

Attachments

• B7B656D9-E42A-4331-B4C5-5AEDFEF65EA4.jpeg
    B7B656D9-E42A-4331-B4C5-5AEDFEF65EA4.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 3688D598-E484-424E-9072-50182E90D02E.jpeg
    3688D598-E484-424E-9072-50182E90D02E.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 2BC424D9-6160-41C8-974E-3FD3210F5ECE.jpeg
    2BC424D9-6160-41C8-974E-3FD3210F5ECE.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Just a quick update...

Last surgery on my right leg completed on Friday. I just got shipped over to Health South acute rehab in Salisbury Maryland. I was sent here after the first surgery. I hope to be home for good next week.

Mary goes in for back surgery on Friday, as an outpatient. I think two hour procedure three hours of lying flat on her back and then probably a week or two of pretty much zero activity at home. I know she’s scared but she has proved she’s pretty tough. I know she’ll get through this.

Here are a few photos of my recent leg surgery ,the tin man’s got nothing on me.

The prelim report says her injuries were minor?!?!? Doesn't give me much confidence in the NTSB.

Thanks for the update. Wow on the gear you've got on board in the pics! Hang in there, recovery is hard work!

Yup. Filed a flight plan, too!

:lol::lol::lol: Obviously that's what saved them.

Kidding! What saved you was flying the plane all the way til it stopped, good choice of field, and mad skillz.

The prelim report says her injuries were minor?!?!? Doesn't give me much confidence in the NTSB.

Ah, but there's a definition! And I think Mary might get "upgraded" to Serious for the final report.

Here's the definition of serious injuries, from 49 CFR 830.2: "Serious injury means any injury which: (1) Requires hospitalization for more than 48 hours, commencing within 7 days from the date of the injury was received; (2) results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of fingers, toes, or nose); (3) causes severe hemorrhages, nerve, muscle, or tendon damage; (4) involves any internal organ; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or any burns affecting more than 5 percent of the body surface."

If the person dies within 30 days of the accident, it's "Fatal" - If they survive for 30 days and then die, they're "Serious" even though they ended up dying. If they're alive, the above definition applies for whether it's "Serious" and if it doesn't meet the above, then it's "Minor" or none.

I bet it will be nice to be home so you can actually rest. Hoping for a speedy recovery!
BTW- Is your plane a insurance writeoff, or are they going to let you repair it?

Ah, but there's a definition! And I think Mary might get "upgraded" to Serious for the final report.

Here's the definition of serious injuries, from 49 CFR 830.2: "Serious injury means any injury which: (1) Requires hospitalization for more than 48 hours, commencing within 7 days from the date of the injury was received; (2) results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of fingers, toes, or nose); (3) causes severe hemorrhages, nerve, muscle, or tendon damage; (4) involves any internal organ; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or any burns affecting more than 5 percent of the body surface."

If the person dies within 30 days of the accident, it's "Fatal" - If they survive for 30 days and then die, they're "Serious" even though they ended up dying. If they're alive, the above definition applies for whether it's "Serious" and if it doesn't meet the above, then it's "Minor" or none.

Exactly. At the time from what I understand, Mary's injuries wouldn't have been considered serious per the definition. Plus she was able to actually get out of the plane and was not immediately taken to the hospital.

Ah, I see my mistake, I went back and reread Gary's posts, he said Mary had "back issues" and she will need back surgery, I misremembered and thought they were fractures but it's Gary who has back fractures. I assume then Mary has posterior complex ligament injury or maybe even disk so I guess those might come under 3 but may not have been known to what extent when they wrote up the preliminary.

Exactly. At the time from what I understand, Mary's injuries wouldn't have been considered serious per the definition. Plus she was able to actually get out of the plane and was not immediately taken to the hospital.

Mary has a fracture of L1. She immediately went to the hospital by ground while I via air transport.

Tomorrow they will remove fragments and place a cement type of material to provide support. The doctors say this provides quick relief.

I know it painful just to watch her sit here with me in the back brace, she is such a badass. I told her no visits until next week, and only if she feels up to it. My Bride needs to heal.

Mary has a fracture of L1. She immediately went to the hospital by ground while I via air transport.

Tomorrow they will remove fragments and place a cement type of material to provide support. The doctors say this provides quick relief.

I know it painful just to watch her sit here with me in the back brace, she is such a badass. I told her no visits until next week, and only if she feels up to it. My Bride needs to heal.

But but no hoagies will be smuggled in Gary! Thanks for the updates, continued thoughts for the two of you recovering quickly and getting back in the air. BTW I like your last name, must be because mine ends in -ino too. ;):D

Great job Gary. Still praying for you both for full recovery.

Gary,

Don't forget us as a support group and PM anyone you need to at any time. After a while, the frustration of a slow recovery might start to creep in, don't let it get you down.

Oh I was right the first time without realizing it. She does qualify for serious and flyingcheesehead was trying to tell me they might correct that on the final report, not trying to say they would upgrade her on the final report because other tissue damage became apparent. That makes a whole lot more sense. High Gs in the z-axis tends to fracture vertebrae as opposed to soft tissue injury.

I've heard good things about that cement material. Best of luck for the procedure she has a lot of people here rooting for her. And you too!

Thanks everyone for all the support, thoughts and prayers for Mary and I. The email's, text messages, FB and forum posts and blog comments have kept our spirits up, that's for sure.

I see the Doc today for a follow up after the third surgery I had to drain/close the incision on Aug 24th. I know my leg is feeling better, it's getting stronger each day. I gave the PT guy double sets today for all the exercises, it was killer and I'm hurting, but he was impressed. I also left the house, ok I made it out to the driveway and felt the sun on my face. I tried the wc ramp for the first time by myself, PT guy was once again impressed. I may be broken physically but I have my Fathers never quit attitude...it serves me well.

I have actually started reading my last three issues of IFR. I hope to find something to post about for my blog. If the FAA/NTSB ever returns my Garmin VIRB camera I will make a video, maybe attached to the wheel chair, who knows.

I have looked at a few planes online but it just doesn't seem the same...Mary and I haven't even discussed the accident other than it happened, we survived, and now we need to heal. At some point we will attack that boogeyman and move forward.

My latest blog post - Random Thoughts During Recovery

Much love to all

Train hard and fly safe!

Just a quick update...

I hope the doctor filled out a form 337 for those mods!

I have looked at a few planes online but it just doesn't seem the same...Mary and I haven't even discussed the accident other than it happened, we survived, and now we need to heal. At some point we will attack that boogeyman and move forward.

While there's that old "Get back on the horse" thing, and I agree with it to some extent, there's no reason to rush anything. You'll know if and when you want to. Aviation has always been about fun for you, and you've enjoyed every minute of it up until the accident more than just about anyone I know.

We're coming up on 17 years since the most traumatic event of my life occurred - the World Trade Center being attacked. I hated, hated airplanes for years after that. Didn't fly at all for 4 years afterwards (of course it was only commercial in those days), and I couldn't hear an airplane fly overhead without my heart rate increasing (in a bad way) and getting panicky.

Obviously things have changed, and obviously it's not the same as what you and Mary went through. You may decide you want to get back on the horse, you may not, if you do who knows which way you'll want to go.

I think of you a lot Gary ... we have very similar circumstances as far as when we started, experience, etc. I try to be detail focused on safety just as you are, and you're attitude helps keep other pilots safety focused. If you're having wound healing issues, ask your ortho doc if hyperbaric treatment might help (works on the non-healing diabetic wounds, so imagine it should help). Take care my friend ...

Back