Preflight Safety Briefings, Bah! Humbug!

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
This is going to be considered total and complete blasphemy, but what the hey.
In my experience the preflight passenger briefing is pretty close to being a complete waste of time. Especially when given to someone who is not a pilot and has no experience with flying or airplanes.
While it may make you, as the pilot, feel good to say 'If we should encounter a problem during the course of our roll out, and it becomes obvious that we will not reach our V1 speed as defined by the Pilot Operating Handbook, I will endeavor to bring the aircraft to a safe stop on the runway. If we become airborne, I will try to land ...."
What the passenger hears is "Blah, blah, blah we're all going to die." Or some variation thereof.
I think some airline industry studies will bear out this assumption. There are enough post incident videos available to show you just how bad things can get.

In my own personal universe, not once, in a number of emergency situations , has any passenger ever remembered a single preflight briefing instruction.
What's even more chilling is that I have had a number of pilots in the right seat and cabin staff who have completely freaked out when something untoward and ugly has occurred in flight.

By all means, continue to give your preflight briefing, for no other reason than CYA to mitigate lawsuits. Hand them a written copy and make them put it in a pocket.

But, my experience has been that when things get ugly, you do everyone a far greater service if you calmly and forcefully take control of the situation, explain what's going on and what you are doing and what you expect the passenger to be doing.
If there is some function they can perform, then explain it, but don't be surprised if they can't follow simple directions.
If you are screeching into the microphone, 4 or 5 octaves higher than your normal voice, you are going to make the situation worse, not better. If you can't get control of yourself, you are never going to get control of the passenger.
Also, as I have tried to explain, emergency procedure practice is best done before an actual emergency, not during the emergency.

Here endeth the lesson.

Up coming: How the FAA requirements are killing pilots in bad weather.

My preflight for Young Eagles is to tell them they are the copilot and another set of eyes, and such. I never talk about emergency procedures - all it does is panic the parents in the backseat.

I don' even talk much about the door since its a b!tch to close. Yeah, how to work seatbelts and headsets. That about covers it. Pax also get the extra keys talk. Last but not least, I do always say that no matter what they've got to do what I tell them in the aircraft.

The best thing about aviation is that actually works on Mrs. Steingar.

seatblets
685.jpg

I talk about the doors and what direction to go (away from the prop) and that I might have to be the last out for shutdown reasons, so the left side back seater may want to go out the right door right behind the others.

I also talk about the Cessna standard “pop the doors before touchdown” thing and assure them they’re not going to fall out and the door will be held mostly closed by airflow until we’re on the ground and not to worry about it if it pops open in flight.

I don’t consider the “takeoff brief” as part of the “passenger brief” and if single pilot, I brief myself on those things, not the passengers. Totally different briefings. You seem to mix them?

Multiple pilot, yes, brief the takeoff plan. That’s to keep both pilots on the same page. If the pax hear it through their headphones, so be it. But otherwise I keep our (limited) options on departure to myself.

Even more so in a twin, if you told the average passenger the thing won’t climb out on one engine even from 100’ AGL, that’s scary enough for me, let alone them. “If we lose an engine we’re landing on remaining runway and going through the airport fence...” isn’t awe inspiring in modern aviation. Hahahahaha.

“We don’t meet Part 23 standards today...” you can definitely overdo it. Hah.

Think “Flight Attendant” not “Captain” when doing the safety brief. “The exits are... there... and you open them by pulling up on that handle...”

Some people go to the trouble of making a passenger information card. I figure they’ll ignore it just like they ignore it on airliners, primacy being what it is... airliners have taught them to ignore them no matter how hard they try to get people to pull them out and review them. :)

If the passengers can’t handle a briefing about the possibility of an emergency situation, than they probably shouldn’t be flying with you. All of my passengers have appreciated the fact that I take the time to brief and educate them a little bit.

I definitely don’t advise anyone to go in depth with the briefing but just the basic necessities (seat belts, doors, and emergency operations).

My briefing is:
1) The seatbelt/door speech
2) Sterile* cockpit for taxi/takeoff/landing *(or at least, don't talk over ATC)
3) Point out other traffic if you see 'em
4) If I tell you to do something, do it, as if you were sitting in the Exit Row
5) If you're feeling sick or having an issue, tell me.

... for which I have this mnemonic (for my own memory):
"Sit down,
Shut up,
Look,
Listen, and
Have fun".

I always give Λ basic “briefing.” My main points are how to open the door, how to unlatch the safety belts, and not to touch anything up front. I make every passenger demonstate really quick how they would unlatch the safety belt. If they sit by the door, I have them demonstrate opening it in addition to unlatching their belts. If there is Λ fire extinguisher - where it is. It takes less than Λ minute. I always ensure the seatbelts are latched and the door is closed so all I care about is the fact that they know how to leave. Everything else is secondary and usually communicated to them during taxi to the runway. I never neglect to ask passenger(s) if they have questions.

I've tried that. Didn't work. Their shirts always stayed on.
You must’ve not been convincing enough. After all, bra’s make the best floatation devices.

1) No pilot may take off a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that incorporates a basket or gondola, or an airship type certificated before November 2, 1987) unless the pilot in command of that aircraft ensures that each person on board is briefed on how to fasten and unfasten that person's safety belt and, if installed, shoulder harness.

Briefing completed.

If you want more -

§ 91.519 Passenger briefing.
(a) Before each takeoff the pilot in command of an airplane carrying passengers shall ensure that all passengers have been orally briefed on -

(1)Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited. This briefing shall include a statement, as appropriate, that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with lighted passenger information signs and no smoking placards, prohibit smoking in lavatories, and require compliance with crewmember instructions with regard to these items;

(2)Use of safety belts and shoulder harnesses. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions it is necessary to have his or her safety belt and, if installed, his or her shoulder harness fastened about him or her. This briefing shall include a statement, as appropriate, that Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger sign and/or crewmember instructions with regard to these items;

(3) Location and means for opening the passenger entry door and emergency exits;

(4) Location of survival equipment;

(5) Ditching procedures and the use of flotation equipment required under § 91.509 for a flight over water; and

(6) The normal and emergency use of oxygen equipment installed on the airplane.

(b) The oral briefing required by paragraph (a) of this section shall be given by the pilot in command or a member of the crew, but need not be given when the pilot in command determines that the passengers are familiar with the contents of the briefing. It may be supplemented by printed cards for the use of each passenger containing -

(1) A diagram of, and methods of operating, the emergency exits; and

(2) Other instructions necessary for use of emergency equipment.

(c) Each card used under paragraph (b) must be carried in convenient locations on the airplane for the use of each passenger and must contain information that is pertinent only to the type and model airplane on which it is used.

(d) For operations under subpart K of this part, the passenger briefing requirements of § 91.1035 apply, instead of the requirements of paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section.

Seat belts & doors...my Maule had an A.D. that required a NO SMOKING placard, so that took care of that. ;)

I agree...passengers aren't going to be able to remember anything you tell them fewer than 20 times, so I kept briefing them every flight. When I gave aerobatic rides, I was pretty well resigned to the fact that if we had to use the parachutes, my passenger was most likely dead unless I could climb out on the wing, unstrap him, lift him out of the cockpit, and throw him away from the airplane while holding on to the D-ring myself. But I still gave the briefing on the outside chance that any of it would stick when the time came.

I’m going to start making sure I give a ditching procedure here where the chances you could hit a lake are about zero. LOL.

“In the event of a water landing, we flew to another State...”

I think @SixPapaCharlie should make an informative and entertaining passenger briefing video. Then we could just give passengers the YouTube link and they can watch it on their phones while we do more important pilot type stuff, like texting the GF/BF, during our valuable pre-flight prep time.

1) No pilot may take off a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that incorporates a basket or gondola, or an airship type certificated before November 2, 1987) unless the pilot in command of that aircraft ensures that each person on board is briefed on how to fasten and unfasten that person's safety belt and, if installed, shoulder harness.

Briefing completed.

If you want more -

§ 91.519 Passenger briefing.
(a) Before each takeoff the pilot in command of an airplane carrying passengers shall ensure that all passengers have been orally briefed on -
blather

92.519 falls under Subpart F - Large and Turbine-Powered Multiengine Airplanes and Franctional Ownership Program Aircraft.

Yeah, someday...

Actually, does @Ted DuPuis' MU-2 fall under that subpart?

92.519 falls under Subpart F - Large and Turbine-Powered Multiengine Airplanes and Franctional Ownership Program Aircraft....

No...
§91.501 Applicability.
(a) This subpart prescribes operating rules, in addition to those prescribed in other subparts of this part, governing the operation of large airplanes of U.S. registry, turbojet-powered multiengine civil airplanes of U.S. registry, and fractional ownership program aircraft of U.S. registry that are operating under subpart K of this part
The MU-2 is neither large nor turbojet powered.

I completely agree with @Shepherd on this one. The safety briefing is one of the most absurdly ridiculous activities we do as pilots of single engine 4 seat airplanes. I believe it’s biggest function is to make the pilot feel more like an airline captain and message his or her ego!

I give a briefing to someone who is new to flying in a small plane or is flying with me for the first time. It consists of how to buckle up, how to get out, what to do if the seat slides back( don’t grab the yoke) and I usually make a joke about the rudder pedals not being foot rests. Other than that, you are kidding yourself if you think anyone cares or wants to be thinking about ditching procedures or what we will do if the engine dies right before he or she is about to take off. Honestly, it’s cruel to do that to someone who is already nervous.

I completely agree with @Shepherd on this one. The safety briefing is one of the most absurdly ridiculous activities we do as pilots of single engine 4 seat airplanes. I believe it’s biggest function is to make the pilot feel more like an airline captain and message his or her ego!

And here I am thinking it was to make us pilots feel more like a flight attendant...

Seatbelts , doors, don't touch the controls, if I get incapacitated try to wake me, if not, blue, red, red. Kiss.

Mine focus on how to work the seatbelts, how to work the door latch(es), don't grab anything, and when to shut up.
That's my preflight to a T...and with my Cherokee's two door latches on the single passenger-side door, I make them do a trial run of unbuckling their seatbelt, and opening the door.

I agree. Tell them about seat belts, door handles, and run away from the front of the plane.
Sadly, by the end of a flight they have usually forgotten how to work the belts, doors and the fact that the Cuisinart is just waiting to turn them into a smoothie.

As stated, it does not.

What? It's not a LearMu? :D

Well, some people call it a personal airliner... ;)

It's a small turboprop. I especially point out that it's small when I'm at FBOs and they're trying to figure out what to charge for ramp fees.

It's a small turboprop. I especially point out that it's small when I'm at FBOs and they're trying to figure out what to charge for ramp fees.
Hey! If I get charged the "Turbine Surcharge" for my Rotax powered rag and tube LSA Merlin GT, (after buying 12 gallons of 100LL) then you get to be charged too.

Hey! If I get charged the "Turbine Surcharge" for my Rotax powered rag and tube LSA Merlin GT, (after buying 12 gallons of 100LL) then you get to be charged too.

I buy enough Jet A that all fees should be waived...

Oh, but to the preflight question. My passengers don't usually understand the briefing so I've omitted it. Of course they're in cages and can't get out in the event of a crash, nor can they fasten their seat belts.

If I have human passengers, usually they already know these things and are experienced passengers. If I have someone who probably doesn't know much, then I give them a briefing appropriate to the flight.

I agree. Tell them about seat belts, door handles, and run away from the front of the plane.
Sadly, by the end of a flight they have usually forgotten how to work the belts, doors and the fact that the Cuisinart is just waiting to turn them into a smoothie.

Passenger Warning. This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft. I answer any questions. I show them how to operate the canopy release, the fire extinguisher location, and where the ball peen hammer is located. Never had anyone not pay attention, pilot, or non-pilot. Maybe it's your approach?

We would sometimes allow repeat passengers to open the cabin door if they expressed interest in trying. Even though I'm sure they had heard the briefing countless times (hearing is not the same as paying attention), most, if not all, needed additional coaching when it came to execution.

Last edited:
Back