Have any of y'all done this? Anyone found any surprises?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am so absolutely white. I was really hoping for some surprise of some sort but this is about as vanilla as you can get I guess.

20180716_093955.png

Attachments

• 20180716_093955.png
    20180716_093955.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 45
I haven’t done it but I am a genealogy nut. I can tell you where my 10th great grandfather’s house was in 1600 England.

I am German, English, Irish and Norwegian with a little Welsh thrown in for good measure.

There is no way in hell I'm doing that. I do not want my DNA going in to 'The System.'

Not that I'm unhappy that the Bay Area Rapist was caught - but it's creepy how he was caught. Not by his own DNA, but from that of relatives who used a service just like this.

28% Finn/NW Russia
18% Great Britain
17% Europe West
12% Irish/Scot/Welsh
12% Scandinavia
9% Europe East
2% EuroJew
1% Caucasus
<1% Central Asia

One very interesting thing I found was when I viewed some of my DNA matches, and the matches we shared, a distant cousin on my mom's side and I shared DNA with another individual. When I looked at the matches that individual and I had we also shared DNA on my dad's side.

I'm like that only 4% Neanderthal. Edit, may be 3% I don't recall.

But that is probably as of 500 years ago. The farther you go back the more geographically diverse we are. Go back 50,000 years you've got some Africa in you. I guess the only thing you don't have is New World and probably no Australia or Far East unless one of your ancestors came back west. Not likely from Australia or the Americas after the sea level rose.

I had a big argument with myself before doing it because of just that reason, but I ended up figuring they're going to get all our DNA regardless, eventually, I am convinced. So this way I can gain a lot of useful medical information about myself right now and at least use it to benefit me and hopefully I will be dead before big brother misuses it against me.

I can see a future where insurance companies will require a DNA sample before qualifying, the government may step in and forbid that sort of targeting just like they regulated pre existing conditions. Then they will turn around and persecute you themselves like all governments are wont to do.

I am so absolutely white. I was really hoping for some surprise of some sort but this is about as vanilla as you can get I guess.

View attachment 65022
White Bryan with a Y, I see on your report you have "Low Confidence Regions" Sorry to hear that. I hope they have Med's to help with that!!!

Sadly the movie portrays the direction we are headed.
I thought Idiocracy was hilarious... right up until I realized I was not watching a comedy, but a documentary.

I had no idea what my ancestry was until I started researching it a few years ago. Our last name could be English or Russian. We knew there was English along with some German or Danish or Dutch in there somewhere. About the only thing I knew for sure was there was no Irish or Scottish. No idea how long we'd been here or where we came from before the early 20th century.

Well, surprise, surprise. My surname is Irish, descended from Normans. Most of my ancestors have been on this continent since before it was a country - some as far back as the 1600s. Lots of Norman/French, English, Prussian, German and Danish. We fought in every war from the French and Indian War through Korea... apparently on both sides of the Civil War.

No way in hell I'd pay to have my DNA on file with anyone. I know from my research so far where we come from, and more importantly I know how much more I find out doing the research. Amazing stuff.

There is no way in hell I'm doing that. I do not want my DNA going in to 'The System.'

Not that I'm unhappy that the Bay Area Rapist was caught - but it's creepy how he was caught. Not by his own DNA, but from that of relatives who used a service just like this.
You've got an uncle that you don't want to send up the river?

I did it, white bread all the way.

Spooky how accurate the "heat map" of where people genetically most related to me were located.

I have strong doubts the methodology used could actually determine results to that precision with any confidence whatsoever.

They say it's not an exact %, but it's the most likely number in a given range. My Europe West has a range of 0% - 41%. My Finn/NW Russia has a range of 19%-35% (My maternal grandmother is 100%)

It appears I have distant relatives in Australia......courtesy of the King emptying out some prisons....

My mom and some aunts started looking into family history in the 60s. Seems the family started coming here to the new world in the mid 1600s. To look further back they need to go to the UK to look up records. Since my mom is the only one of the group left alive and is 86, she won't be making the trip.

The first of the family arrived on the ships, The William, the Thomas and the Henry. Those were popular names for the first born sons until about 40 years ago.

I have strong doubts the methodology used could actually determine results to that precision with any confidence whatsoever.
They are doing something right.
My father and uncle both did the test (years apart)
My dads came back and said there is a high probability that so-in-so is your brother.

After 16 generations you have a million or so ancestors

131,070 (if you add them all up from your parents on back - assuming there's no loops in your family tree, in my case based on DNA matches at some point my mother's side and my father's side crossed paths at least once prior to me, so my number would be less than that)
uncles and aunts aren't ancestors

Last edited:
I can see a future where insurance companies will require a DNA sample before qualifying

Living in Canada with free healthcare for all has its advantages. Not a perfect system that's for sure but not worrying about insurance coverage or going bankrupt over medical fees is nice.

Got one of those for Christmas a few years ago. I was hoping to see more detail the path my ancestors followed. Just got those percentages. No surprises

My grandfather arrived at Ellis Island from Lithuania in 1912. The immigration officer asked his name. My grandfather told him. The officer asked, "How do you spell that?" He shrugged. The officer wrote it down the way he thought it sounded. Same scenario with every government official he dealt with, so there is no consistency in the records. Years later he unofficially adopted a shortened version of the name. Bottom line, it's gonna be tough to track down my ancestors in the old country.

My wife's late mother was an Australian war bride, married an American soldier in 1944 and came over with him in 1946. We made our first visit to Australia a few months ago, and met several of the cousins. At the Immigration Museum in Melbourne, we found the names of my wife's great-great-grandparents, and their infant son, on the passenger manifest of the vessel Ward Chipman, which sailed from Bristol England to the new settlement of Melbourne in 1841. They were subsidized settlers, not convicts. Tough trip; there were about 200 passengers on that 100-day voyage. Enroute 22 died, and seven were born. The ship's namesake Ward Chipman, by the way, was an attorney who represented Benedict Arnold.

I did the 23andMe one. The general results were not a surprise, mostly Scandinavian and and Brit/Irish (those darn Vikings). What was surprising is..I found my biological family after being adopted at birth nearly 60 years earlier. Genetics is an amazing science.

Back