New Lap Record at der Nürburgring - Nordschleife

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
A tarted up version of the Porsche 919 Le Mans Prototype recently reset the track record, at 5:19. GAAAH!

It almost looks unreal, like it was sped up artificially.

Looked there were a couple spots where he could have shaved a 10th off.

Held 4th and 7th too long more than a few times. Shifted too soon most times.

That speed readout km or mph? I would think km.

Did the ring low level flying a Cobra in the mid 80's...or at least tried...this is a special place if you ever get to see a road race there.

Fuchsrohre is the section that gets my attention. You need a proper set of "attachments," as Hobbs likes to say, to go through the bottom kink flat in a fast car...not unlike Eau Rouge at Spa. Karussel is overrated, but cars look cool in photos in the "bowl."

Lots of F1 drivers claimed to have gone flat through Eau Rouge, only to have their race engineer show them the data and a small "confidence lift"! :D Gotta love data acquisition.

That felt like what the view would look like if I could have ridden in my AF/X slot cars when I was a kid! :)

Fuchsrohre is the section that gets my attention. You need a proper set of "attachments," as Hobbs likes to say, to go through the bottom kink flat in a fast car...not unlike Eau Rouge at Spa. Karussel is overrated, but cars look cool in photos in the "bowl."

Lots of F1 drivers claimed to have gone flat through Eau Rouge, only to have their race engineer show them the data and a small "confidence lift"! :D Gotta love data acquisition.

We need an ongoing F1 thread. Sunday's race was awesome...

The cool thing about the 'ring is, that there is no perfect lap around it. It's too long to drive it 100% all the time. The trick is to make the mistakes in the parts where they don't cost you that much time.
Screw up Galgenkopf and Döttinger Höhe, and there goes your lap. Or Bergwerk, that's another great example of a simple turn that you can't make up in the uphill following it.

You might be surprised. The current cars with the turbocharger are pretty quiet.
I will let you know. It also depends on which way the wind is blowing that day. Either way we have to drive by the track this week for a baseball tournament down in Karlsruhe. Yes you can find baseball in Germany if you look hard enough.

I thought the van was impressive.

Agreed. I would not have wanted to be those folks on bikes and Porsches that paid their money for a thrill ride of a lifetime, to feel really manly on a legendary race track where you can go as fast as you like... only to be passed by a woman in a diesel cargo van! :eek:o_O

Agreed. I would not have wanted to be those folks on bikes and Porsches that paid their money for a thrill ride of a lifetime, to feel really manly on a legendary race track where you can go as fast as you like... only to be passed by a woman in a diesel cargo van! :eek:o_O

She looked more like a soccer mom on the way to pick up the kids....:lol::lol:

At one point she is looking out the right window at the person(s) she is passing. I hope they saw her looking at them.

The transit van movie was way more entertaining than 10 minutes of a racetrack unfolding and a bobbling helmet. I wish she would have broke the 10 minute mark.

The transit van movie was way more entertaining than 10 minutes of a racetrack unfolding and a bobbling helmet. I wish she would have broke the 10 minute mark.

Me too. I am really surprised they did that without helmets on. You would think that of all vehicles on the track, a van would be most likely to roll.

Lap record in a hybrid? That's like tree hugger winning a lumberjack competition.

Back