88 and still kick'n

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
Last Monday I get a frantic call from my sister... "Dad's blood pressure is 80/30 and he has pains in his chest! Ambulance is on the way!" I drop everything and head out to meet them at the hospital. Diagnosis: HEART ATTACK! "This hospital can't do stents so he has to be transported downtown," I'm told. (20 Minutes by ambulance). I get to the other hospital and after about an hour, doctor comes in and says one of the most the most important arteries in his heart was 90% blocked (above a previously implanted stent). So they put in another and opened it up to 50%, but the doctor said a large part of his heart is no longer functioning and considering his age and his renal failure (dad's been on dialysis for about a year) the prognosis was not good and he did not think dad would make it through the night.

Dad spent the next 5 days in the ICU as we all prepared for the worst. 3 days ago we were told he was a hospice candidate; so arrangements were made... Then 2 day ago he was moved from the ICU to a step down unit because there was nothing else to be done. His heart EF was down to 10-15% and dialysis was not keeping his creatinine levels at bay anymore.

Yesterday the same doctor who said he might not make it thru the night came into the room and expressed his amazement at his current status. His blood pressure was back up to 127/67, his oxygen level was at 98 to 100% and it appears that the dialysis is at least keeping his potassium levels well below lethal levels.

At 5pm yesterday a physical therapist had him doing mini-squats while be supported by a walker!

In the next couple of days, he is being moved to a rehab unit... UNBELIEVABLE... well not so much if you believe in the power of prayer....

Wow, glad he's feeling better. Just had a scare with my 91 year old mother with cellulitis but they caught it early and she avoided a hospital stay. I am expecting rounds of hospitalizations any time now, it seems that's often how it goes at that age.

Wow, glad he's feeling better. Just had a scare with my 91 year old mother with cellulitis but they caught it early and she avoided a hospital stay. I am expecting rounds of hospitalizations any time now, it seems that's often how it goes at that age.
yea, dad has been a regular lately... About a week between each visit, for the last couple of months

yea, dad has been a regular lately... About a week between each visit, for the last couple of months

My aunt was like that. Hospital, rehab, home, hospital, rehab, home, rinse repeat...

Good for him,he has one strong will. Good luck going forward.

Not sure I believe in prayer, but I do believe in the will to live, and your Dad definitely has it. Fingers crossed!

Back