Pilots are more important than regular people.

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
That seems to be the only explanation for the title of this article and the way it reads.

Title: "Two Qantas pilots injured in fatal vintage plane crash in South Africa"

First paragraph: "Two Qantas pilots are in hospital with “serious injuries” and two people have been killed after a vintage plane crashed while taking off from an airport in South Africa."

Really? The pilot injuries take precedence over the deaths of others? I mean, yeah we are special but still.

560.jpg

Ok, all joking aside and they were good jokes :), doesn’t anyone else find the way the story was written as a bit odd.

Ok, all joking aside and they were good jokes :), doesn’t anyone else find the way the story was written as a bit odd.
...as opposed to the quality reporting and writing we normally expect from the "news" media?

Compared to every other article I read in the paper?
No.

I don't know if pilots are more important than regular people, but imagine a world without them. All the events from Kitty Hawk to the moon landing and beyond would not have been completed without pilots. Also, I'd much rather converse with a pilot than a regular person with no interest in aviation.

Oh I agree that many news stories especially aviation related are highly inaccurate and sensationalized. I frequently ***** about it. But I just thought the way they seemed to prioritize the part of the story regarding injured pilots over dead passengers was really strange.

It clearly was written by someone connected to Qantas in some way, less about being pilots and more about being Qantas employees.

I thought it was going to be about how pilots are more regular than important people....

Not really, this was written by an Australian reporter (Naaman Zhou), giving an Australian take on it - and interviewing people from Qantas Australia.

So it's not that he considers Pilots to be more important than other people, but that he consider Australians to be more important than other people...

In seriousness, most news agencies will highlight impact on their own citizens in any given news report. It's just the way it works.

Stop reading Australian news?

Auto news bot writing with people being lazy on oversight. There are more PHDs in the world than pilots. Darn tooting we are special.

Oh I agree that many news stories especially aviation related are highly inaccurate and sensationalized. I frequently ***** about it. But I just thought the way they seemed to prioritize the part of the story regarding injured pilots over dead passengers was really strange.
I often get upset when they say something line "10 people hurt", then later mention there were also crew members hurt. I think pilots are people too!

Not really, this was written by an Australian reporter (Naaman Zhou), giving an Australian take on it - and interviewing people from Qantas Australia.

So it's not that he considers Pilots to be more important than other people, but that he consider Australians to be more important than other people...

In seriousness, most news agencies will highlight impact on their own citizens in any given news report. It's just the way it works.

Stop reading Australian news?
This. Here is an article from a South African source that doesn't mention Qantas, or that the two Australians were pilots.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...cond-death-confirmed-in-pretoria-plane-crash/

Last edited:
Pilots vs regular people? I don't get the distinction; I'm a pilot and I'm also pretty regular, at least since I increased my fiber intake.

Of course, being a pilot, I'm hardly ordinary. Quite extraordinary, in fact.

Back