ForeFlight 10.2

The Direct to ----> nearest Starbucks feature is nice.

The email and SMS things finally caught up to Leidos. The rest is pretty much just jumping the shark.

I still like ForeFlight

Congrats to FF. They have successfully managed to put more features in higher subscription plans and drive up the base user fee. For IFR guys it went from $149 to $199. No thanks. Charts are fee with Fltplan Go and FlyQ is dirt cheap. Garmin pilot price hasn't moved. S

So long, FF.

Congrats to FF. They have successfully managed to put more features in higher subscription plans and drive up the base user fee. For IFR guys it went from $149 to $199. No thanks. Charts are fee with Fltplan Go and FlyQ is dirt cheap. Garmin pilot price hasn't moved. S

So long, FF.
Here we go again...

Some of the features are nice, I’m pro US&Canada, if they keep making every little add on a pay to play they are going to put a bullseye on their back for someone else’s who can offer more for $200 something a pop.

Flew the whole IMC/IFR flight today with Garmin Pilot.

Worked really nice and even updated my panel for me prior to departure.

Just sayin’! :)

ForeFlight subscription expired a week ago. I’ll probably renew it when some students want to use it and I want the “send flight plan to” feature or I need to show them something in it.

But then again, I can do that on their iPad, and just look at it, so...

Maybe it’s time ForeFlight made a real CFI deal. A significant one.

‘Cause as a Garmin panel owner, I have no reason to use it in my airplane anymore. Today proved it.

Didn’t even have it available as a backup, had practiced with GP a bit at home and launched single pilot handflown IMC with it.

The only reason I have to buy it now is to keep up on any weird new stuff they add to it and know multiple EFBs like @midlifeflyer does.

Or write comparison articles. (Nah, I don’t really have time for that and nobody pays well enough to do it anyway, but solid “clickpath” articles on how to do a flight on all of them would be nice. It’d just be a “labor of love” since nobody would pay to see all of that on video.)

The only reason I have to buy it now is to keep up on any weird new stuff they add to it and know multiple EFBs like @midlifeflyer does.

Or write comparison articles. (Nah, I don’t really have time for that and nobody pays well enough to do it anyway, but solid “clickpath” articles on how to do a flight on all of them would be nice. It’d just be a “labor of love” since nobody would pay to see all of that on video.)
I've been asked a few times to do a comparison seminar showing both iOS and Android apps. It sounds like a good idea but the devil is in the details. How does one make something like that which would not (a) take forever and (b) be irrelevant to 90% of the potential audience?

I saw one many years ago. But at the time there were only ForeFlight and WingX and the feature sets were tiny. I don't think WingX had sectional charts yet.

I dislike how you need to get the performance package to get the NAT tracks. I don't need the performance planning, but having the NAT's would be really nice.

For the various folks who are not happy with the way ForeFlight is doing things (pricing structure, which feature is in what tier, and every other gripe voiced here on PoA) are you sharing this with ForeFlight so they know you're not happy?

Or are you just voicing your thoughts only on this and other forums?

For the various folks who are not happy with the way ForeFlight is doing things (pricing structure, which feature is in what tier, and every other gripe voiced here on PoA) are you sharing this with ForeFlight so they know you're not happy?

I wrote and expressed my displeasure, and they said they would pass my complaint on. I'll hold my breath......

Guilty.

I wrote and expressed my displeasure, and they said they would pass my complaint on. I'll hold my breath......
I get it that you may never hear an actual response from the team that makes the big decisions.

But if members of the userbase doesn't tell them what's creating unhappiness, they will never know what and why so that corrective action can be considered.

I think the traffic in synthetic vision is pretty handy, otherwise I will forget all the new stuff exist.

I've been asked a few times to do a comparison seminar showing both iOS and Android apps. It sounds like a good idea but the devil is in the details. How does one make something like that which would not (a) take forever and (b) be irrelevant to 90% of the potential audience?

I saw one many years ago. But at the time there were only ForeFlight and WingX and the feature sets were tiny. I don't think WingX had sectional charts yet.

I think the only way to do it would be to simulate or really fly a flight using all of them and doing stuff like “counting buttons” to do various things.

But it’d be dry and would require a lot of footage and even more editing.

‘Member when they were small and they read forums themselves to keep up on the pulse of what they were doing so they didn’t go under? And they posted here in response to things discussed?

Memberberries? I ‘member. :) :) :)

(Gratuitous South Park reference to the Memberberries of course... because South Park! Just don’t lol up “human cent-I-Pad” that one was nasty. LOL!)

Now with the flight plan, track log, logbook, that right there is a large feature set to have once you invest the time to set it up

Add weight and balance

MOS/TAF and the overlays on the charts and all in the same program, that’s great.

The synthetic vision nice, but honestly I don’t use it all that much

‘Member when they were small and they read forums themselves to keep up on the pulse of what they were doing so they didn’t go under? And they posted here in response to things discussed?
When Tyson aka @CodeMonkey regularly participated both here and on AOPA's Red Board? Yup!

If you're hinting it would be a good thing for him to return to participating here, I would agree.

If you're hinting it would be a good thing for him to return to participating here, I would agree.

Big company. Probably not allowed by the lawyers anymore. Ha.

He posts the regular “Wow I’m so excited about this new feature!” marketing style material on Twitter now and that’s about it.

My FF subscription is up in Nov, and I'll be downgrading from the Pro $199 to the $99 basic.

I received a survey after my expiration and told them. Crickets since then.

I've been with FF since it's inception. IIRC, it was either $79 or $99 initially and it was basically just charts and approach plates. At that time I was travelling a lot for work and was spending over $700 a year on paper.

Now it's $149 and the original version doesn't make a pimple on the butt of the current version. It's now a far better value.

My only ***** is that it's not as stable. I NEVER had a crash in the early years. It was rock solid. Now, I typically have a crash about once a month or so when I'm flying regularly.

Well, okay, I do have another *****, I hate apple...I wish it was compatible with other OS's.

Nothing worth whining incessantly about though.

It’s tough. I have taught classes before on all four apps, and with all the changes each is doing, its hard to stay proficient, and any document you would spend more time than you could imagine keeping it current.

Each has its own set of considerations. For me it comes down to what you really need? Not sure I would ever use traffic on SVT on an IPad in the soup. Cute feature, but practical? I have had my iPad **** itself on more than one occasion for no reason. In IMC I am too busy with a scan to mess with the iPad other than a basic chart. Charts - yes I want and need that. Many of the wiz-band features...are they really NEEDED or just cool? I recently shot two approaches to minimums....panel mounted devices are rock solid.

FltPlan Go has really impressed me of late with MOS, Connext, ADS-B support, and their other features. And when you look at the price? Rumor has a few other way cool features coming. Unreal this is all FREE.

If you have a Garmin panel, use Pilot. Get a Flightstream 510 and save all the frustrations updating your charts on multiple devices. Ask me how I know. Or use a Flightstream 210 to transfer flight plans. And of course you get a discount on your annual fee with your Garmin chart subscription. Great value here.

FlyQ continues to get better in the area of flight planning. This is one area where I thought they were really lacking. Their maps, charts, etc. all worked good and are fast. But flight planning I thought was weak but no more. And this product is crazy cheap for all it does. No Connext support is kind of sad.

For basic VFR flying, go with FltPlan Go and Stratux. Or go FlyQ with Stratux. You have georeference maps, weather, and traffic. And a flight recorder comes with FlyQ.

It’s tough. I have taught classes before on all four apps, and with all the changes each is doing, its hard to stay proficient, and any document you would spend more time than you could imagine keeping it current.

I count five apps in that post and I think we’re forgetting one of them.

It’s in the back of my head that there’s currently six contenders for the iPAd EFB game that could seriously be considered usable.

6 times number of feature changes per month... too much to track.

It’s a market that’s commoditizing fast for the non-pro, and turning into a “pick the best price point” market because it doesn’t matter much now...

..: except maybe for the couple that have absolutely no UI/UX effort made at all.

I count five apps in that post and I think we’re forgetting one of them.

I wrote on four - ForeFlight, FlyQ, Garmin Pilot, and FltPlan Go. IMHO WingX is legacy. I know there are other, but I think it’s a four horse race. And it’s likely to change at some point.

You can get the old pro for $149 if you ask. Used to anyway.

@Dave Theisen In FF? Sure. Whenever you click on any airport on the app, the info comes up with a 'direct to' or 'add to route' at the top you can tap.

Recently, I can’t do it on my phone. Once I enter a route, I can’t edit it at all. I haven’t noticed if it was since a recent update or what.

Recently, I can’t do it on my phone. Once I enter a route, I can’t edit it at all. I haven’t noticed if it was since a recent update or what.

I have the latest version. I just entered a route and was able to edit it fully. I could add a leg, change it by going direct to, and rubber band the route to edit it.

I wrote on four - ForeFlight, FlyQ, Garmin Pilot, and FltPlan Go. IMHO WingX is legacy. I know there are other, but I think it’s a four horse race. And it’s likely to change at some point.

Rumor is that WingX won a fairly sizeable DoD contact a while back. I wouldn’t call it “legacy”, just “not chasing unnecessary features”, is the best I can figure out. It works fine.

I mean, we are talking a corporate market side of this whole EFB thing that airlines still pay Jepp for their awful code too... there’s number six or seven, not that anyone who has a choice would buy the Jepp iPad app. :)

I have the latest version. I just entered a route and was able to edit it fully. I could add a leg, change it by going direct to, and rubber band the route to edit it.

I works on my iPad, but stopped working on my phone. I’ll trying reloading the app tomorrow

Back