Holy Cow Batman....

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Holy cow.. Going to be a busy day so I thought I would take an early flight. Up at 3:30am my normal wake up time going to work. Wheels off the ground at 5:30am. At 2500ft I level off, I was a little slow at pulling the power back. Looked at the tach and I was over red line. I guess I was still wiping the sleep out of my eyes. Over redline for 10 seconds or so. Told myself "Bad job Bill, now straighten up and fly and fly right...:rolleyes:

Guess I need to overhaul the engine now...;) DA was about -800ft.

Last edited:
The 206 at my CAP squadron recently had an overspeed. In the process of dealing with this, I learned that the manufacturers of the prop, governor, and engine have criteria for determining what inspection and repair actions will be required based on the magnitude and duration of the overspeed.

The 206 at my CAP squadron recently had an overspeed. In the process of dealing with this, I learned that the manufacturers of the prop, governor, and engine have criteria for determining what inspection and repair actions will be required based on the magnitude and duration of the overspeed.
On occasion I have set full throttle at straight and level flight to see if the engine will make red line. It always goes right up to 2700rpm but never over redline. Guess the DA had something to do with the overspeed..

Is your tach accurate? Most are not, if it’s reading high there may not have been an over speed. In Most planes it’s hard to get an overspeed straight and level.

Did it go over by a few RPM or by several thousand RPMs..???

Pulled the power back pretty quick once I noticed it, maybe 2800/2850 by the tach..:(

Is your tach accurate? Most are not, if it’s reading high there may not have been an over speed. In Most planes it’s hard to get an overspeed straight and level.
Never had an overspeed in straight and level flight before. Normally goes to red line and stays there. I'm going to check tach when I get a chance. Funny thing is I looked air speed and it was 130mph indicated. Never see that in the Sport, looked at tach and it was over red line. Pulled power back to 2500rpm and airspeed dropped to 120mph (normal cruse for the Sport). My bad..

Back