RV6A conveerted to a twin

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
I had been following a conversion of an RV6A into a twin using two Corvaire (spelling?) but have not found anything after the builder posted photos of the plane transported to the airport. It was shown sitting on the ramp at an airport that had a control tower. That was months ago, and no word if the plane has flown or not. It did taxi tests but no more info.

Any info out there>

Amusingly "that lady" is Bobbi Boucher who as my mechanic for years. She just called me yesterday looking for some Navion documentation for a plane she has in the shop right now.

We talked to her shortly after the crash. She previously built an RV-4 (I've flown in it), N2QT.

Amusingly "that lady" is Bobbi Boucher who as my mechanic for years. She just called me yesterday looking for some Navion documentation for a plane she has in the shop right now.

We talked to her shortly after the crash. She previously built an RV-4 (I've flown in it), N2QT.

Bobbi did the tech counselor inspections on my RV-10.

Interesting on that twin RV-8.

That's a lot of power, and it looks like a 5,000 ft runway. Obviously the plane would have enough power to take off that fast, but with a stock tail my guess is Vmc on it would've been really high. Probably not enough rudder and probably not far enough back rudder. So the plane probably could've flown much, much sooner than there was sufficient control authority. If you look at the rudder on a Twin Comanche (which is what those engines and cowls look to have come from) you'll see it's a bigger tail and further back.

If she was intending on a high speed taxi first and it was an unintended first flight, she also might not have accelerated as hard as she would've were it an intended takeoff, adding to the lower speed.

Just a few thoughts. Really cool plane, wish that she'd been able to fly it. :(

Really cool plane, wish that she'd been able to fly it. :(
It's not an airplane I would ever want. I also wouldn't want to fly it. However, I'll never bash anyone who wants to try something like this. I think it's what experimental aviation is all about. I'm fascinated with people who look at the norm and decide to walk right past it.

A friend of mine just finished an RV-7A, with a bigger engine than is recommended, and RV-8 tail, baggage doors, and a forward-sliding canopy. Why not?! I was in the market for an RV, a standard RV-8, but I love watching the guys who cross that line.

It's not an airplane I would ever want. I also wouldn't want to fly it. However, I'll never bash anyone who wants to try something like this. I think it's what experimental aviation is all about. I'm fascinated with people who look at the norm and decide to walk right past it.

A friend of mine just finished an RV-7A, with a bigger engine than is recommended, and RV-8 tail, baggage doors, and a forward-sliding canopy. Why not?! I was in the market for an RV, a standard RV-8, but I love watching the guys who cross that line.

I used to want to build a twin out of an experimental like that, but I've gotten to where I think there just won't be enough rudder to safely control it in many flight conditions. But I agree - this is what experimental aviation is about, and I don't look down on anyone who makes the decision, so long as they understand the risks and accept them.

Really, I've gotten to where I like my certified spam cans and their compromises. There are some experimentals I want, though.

I used to want to build a twin out of an experimental like that, but I've gotten to where I think there just won't be enough rudder to safely control it in many flight conditions. But I agree - this is what experimental aviation is about, and I don't look down on anyone who makes the decision, so long as they understand the risks and accept them.

Really, I've gotten to where I like my certified spam cans and their compromises. There are some experimentals I want, though.
Twin tail!

A forward sliding canopy? Or one that tips up?

I too marvel at those so willing to try new things with flying machines. Often, it’s as if they consider their own life expendable.

There is already more risk in experimental aircraft than I am willing to accept, but to modify an experimental to suit your tastes is really gutsy in my book. I enjoy experimental aviation as a spectator, and admire the craftsmanship, but would not fly one. However, in my younger days I would have done so without hesitation.

Back