Oshkosh - 2018

I am reaching out to the EAA today to see if they can push theirs back a week.
My fly in is starting to gain some traction.

I have a handful of confirmed attendees and there is talk of vendors possibly showing up.
I am not sure how it will play out but the EAA is a good group of folks. I suspect they won't mind waiting one more week.

(The comments on the video are awesome)

Good luck. We have been trying to get EAA to move the event to a less-busy time for us (it is, statistically, our busiest week of the year), but for whatever reason they have ignored our request for 16 years.

So, we hire inn-sitters, and leave, with the hotel packed to the gills.

Good luck. We have been trying to get EAA to move the event to a less-busy time for us (it is, statistically, our busiest week of the year), but for whatever reason they have ignored our request for 16 years.

So, we hire inn-sitters, and leave, with the hotel packed to the gills.

Well, true. But you're not BrYan the YouTube celebrity. He's got clout.

I think I have them relocating the good bathrooms to the N 40. Making progress slowly.

Er... and assuming they don't accommodate me...
Am I allowed to shower in homebuilt? I have minor germ issues and HBC was very plesant.

We're coming up 41 from Fond du Lac (actually from Grass Valley via Evanston, Estes Park, Des Moines, Madison, and Fond du Lac) and have to get to the Quonset hut at the corner of Poberezny and Waukau. Anybody got a clever way to do that without getting into that mess around the entrance to Scholler on Sunday around noonish?

Jim

I think we have decided to fly in Monday, back out Monday afternoon to a town with cheaper hotels, then back in for the day Tuesday before heading home Tuesday night.

We're coming up 41 from Fond du Lac (actually from Grass Valley via Evanston, Estes Park, Des Moines, Madison, and Fond du Lac) and have to get to the Quonset hut at the corner of Poberezny and Waukau. Anybody got a clever way to do that without getting into that mess around the entrance to Scholler on Sunday around noonish?

Jim
Ah, the media hut! No easy way that I know of. I will tell you if there's two lanes of traffic, get in the right one or you'll find yourself going around and that's not easy to figure out if you haven't done it before. You can see once you turn on Waukau, you will have to cut across another lane to get into the parking lot. They will usually let you in. If you don't get in, make a lot of left turns and go back around by the museum, then tell the guard standing there that you need to go back into the field on Poberezny.

43316453342_8336468d9a.jpg

That part of Poberezny might still have two-way traffic on Sunday. Try getting off of 41 at the highway 44 exit and going south on Koeller and turn right on Poberezny.

If that doesn't work, continue around the N/E/S sides of the airport. If you're going to camp in Scholler and have your pass, go in the South entrance and exit where all the traffic is coming in - That's one way around it! :D

If Poberezny is northbound only AND you don't have a pass for Scholler already - Well, you're gonna be stuck in the traffic.

I think I have them relocating the good bathrooms to the N 40. Making progress slowly.

Er... and assuming they don't accommodate me...
Am I allowed to shower in homebuilt? I have minor germ issues and HBC was very plesant.

You might get some stares showering in the middle of all the camping, but I say go for it. The worst they can do is arrest you for indecent exposure.

If you're asking about using the HBC bathroom, sure, no one will care. Nobody is checking tickets and what kind of plane you have.

That part of Poberezny might still have two-way traffic on Sunday. Try getting off of 41 at the highway 44 exit and going south on Koeller and turn right on Poberezny.

If that doesn't work, continue around the N/E/S sides of the airport. If you're going to camp in Scholler and have your pass, go in the South entrance and exit where all the traffic is coming in - That's one way around it! :D

If Poberezny is northbound only AND you don't have a pass for Scholler already - Well, you're gonna be stuck in the traffic.
Not going to Scholler. Going to the Quonset media credentials hut at the corner of Poberezny and Wausau.

THanks,

Jim

Not going to Scholler. Going to the Quonset media credentials hut at the corner of Poberezny and Wausau.

I understand, I was just offering that if you were going to be in Scholler as well, that going in the south entrance and out the west would get you around all of the inbound Scholler traffic on Sunday.

I understand, I was just offering that if you were going to be in Scholler as well, that going in the south entrance and out the west would get you around all of the inbound Scholler traffic on Sunday.
Thanks. Going to the Quonset hut, going to media headquarters over by the tower, going to automobile parking to unload my Monday morning forums stuff, going to the Forums hut to store my stuff, and then delivering wife back to the car so she can go down to Mineral Point for the night, then trying to find 6 Papa Charlie and spread my sleeping bag out for the night. Then over to the beer tent where I'm told there are five lovely ladies in four lovely swimsuits.

Jim

Last year I flew in and the Media Credential Center wouldn't give my credentials to the EAA Photo Team employees. I've never been there before, so I had to borrow one of the EAA employee's car and drive up there. I made the loop once, then decided to park at the museum and hike over. It's not in a great place. This year they say the Photo Team can pick up my credentials for me... we'll see!

Anyone ever stayed at Marian University in Fond du lac? Kind of sucks to stay so far away but everything is booked now and my father isn't a camper.

Anyone ever stayed at Marian University in Fond du lac? Kind of sucks to stay so far away but everything is booked now and my father isn't a camper.
I had a friend who stayed there. I've heard the rooms with AC will be gone quickly. They will provide some fans, but those also run out early. He said he spent one hot, sweaty night in the room, then went and bought a fan. I think it's tradition to leave your fan behind and then they have more the next year!

My plans are progressing. Changing oil in the plane Tue. Broke out a nice dome tent I took to Sturgis 13 years ago. Ordered some NB walking shoes, Stormforce tie-downs and extra external battery for digital stuff from Amazon. The back of my Cherokee 140 will be filled. Just watching weather as Sat/Sun here in Northern TN looks good so far as well as OSH. Shooting for 2-3 nights.

Would you like me to draw you a picture? It will strongly resemble the center pages of Playboy without a staple in her tummy.

:cheers:

Jim
Just where is the location of this tent you speak of? I must inspect to ensure compliance with the proper civility guidelines

Then over to the beer tent where I'm told there are five lovely ladies in four lovely swimsuits. Jim
I used to be decent at math and now simple arithmetic confuses me... :)

I'm no lawyer, but I think there could be a loophole in this contract. It could be five lovely ladies in four lovely swimsuits, and one in an not-so-lovely swimsuit. Or, two of the ladies could be sharing one very large, but still lovely swimsuit, which would bring it's own sort of entertainment...

Just where is the location of this tent you speak of? I must inspect to ensure compliance with the proper civility guidelines
Standing in the North 40, near the showers. Look South-Southwest through Southwest until you see two large yellow balloons, each about the size of an RV-8. Head for the balloons.

Once inside the tent look for the large balloons. Those ain't balloons, bubba.

I'm no lawyer, but I think there could be a loophole in this contract. It could be five lovely ladies in four lovely swimsuits, and one in an not-so-lovely swimsuit. Or, two of the ladies could be sharing one very large, but still lovely swimsuit, which would bring it's own sort of entertainment...
The permutations are endless...

Looks like I’ll be up on Monday for just the day. Hoping to meet up with some of you.

I have a coworker who is flying up, but will be parking at Basler. Is Camp Scholer the only option for folks who can’t camp with their plane?

I would like to meet as many of you as I can. I'll be wearing a bright yellow EAA PHOTO vest and once I know what number is on it, I'll post it here. That or look for a polished and blue Cessna 170B in the vintage area. If it's after sunset, you might find me there drinking a beer before passing out. I'm usually up and working by 4AM, so I'm not up too late! Did I mention before that I'm excited? 7 days until we head that way.

I would like to meet as many of you as I can. I'll be wearing a bright yellow EAA PHOTO vest and once I know what number is on it, I'll post it here. That or look for a polished and blue Cessna 170B in the vintage area. If it's after sunset, you might find me there drinking a beer before passing out. I'm usually up and working by 4AM, so I'm not up too late! Did I mention before that I'm excited? 7 days until we head that way.
I'll be in VAC with my white, with red trim Cherokee (Original Piper paint scheme) Sat or Sun for a few nights. I'll look you up. If you're out an about stop in and I'll have a cold one waiting for you. LSU windsock flying off the prop

I'll be in VAC with my white, with red trim Cherokee (Original Piper paint scheme) Sat or Sun for a few nights. I'll look you up. If you're out an about stop in and I'll have a cold one waiting for you. LSU windsock flying off the prop
Sounds awesome. I've had a few beers at tailgate parties at LSU football games... they sure can party!!

I'll be in Forum Tent 11 from 9:30 until 11:30 on Monday, and then will be either in the commercial exhibit buildings OR the Press hut for most of the rest of the day. I'll have on jeans and a black T-shirt with bright colors (oranges, yellows, greens) and the words "Sierra College Mechatronics" on the front. Tuesday and Wednesday days are variable, but Wednesday night for the HOPS party in the north 40 for sure.

Jim

I'll be in Forum Tent 11 from 9:30 until 11:30 on Monday, and then will be either in the commercial exhibit buildings OR the Press hut for most of the rest of the day. I'll have on jeans and a black T-shirt with bright colors (oranges, yellows, greens) and the words "Sierra College Mechatronics" on the front. Tuesday and Wednesday days are variable, but Wednesday night for the HOPS party in the north 40 for sure.

Jim
I'm sure I'll run into you more than once. I'll be running around all over the field taking photos, but I'll end up in the Photo Building several times a day to check in. If it's like last year, it's right next to the Press Hut.

My plans are progressing. Changing oil in the plane Tue. Broke out a nice dome tent I took to Sturgis 13 years ago. Ordered some NB walking shoes, Stormforce tie-downs and extra external battery for digital stuff from Amazon. The back of my Cherokee 140 will be filled. Just watching weather as Sat/Sun here in Northern TN looks good so far as well as OSH. Shooting for 2-3 nights.

Me too. Oil & filter change, pulled off the wheel pants to take a look-see at the brakes, bought $30 worth of beef jerky, Pringles and bottled water (a case weighs about 35 lb!) for in-flight refreshments, updated the iFly 740 memory card, and had a text-a-thon with my friend flying out from Georgia meeting up in Austin TX (we'll go as a flight of two from TX to OSH). I expect to be dodging multiple T-storms through the monsoonal Southwest, but leaving at first light on Thursday (Wx permitting) will help out-race the developing afternoon pop-ups. Gonna try to make it from SoCal to Las Cruces, NM on the first leg, but Deming is the alternate if bucking headwinds.

Should be an adventure!!!

First time attending, flying the Cheetah out with my buddy who's been before.

Oil change next week, quick look at the brakes also, and see if we cant get some USB power wired up so I'm not running foreflight/stratus off batteries the whole way. Looking to arrive Thursday morning first thing. Super excited.

First time attending, flying the Cheetah out with my buddy who's been before.

Oil change next week, quick look at the brakes also, and see if we cant get some USB power wired up so I'm not running foreflight/stratus off batteries the whole way. Looking to arrive Thursday morning first thing. Super excited.
My backup when batteries die is a cig lighter adapter. Works fine but plays hell with certain radio frequencies.

My backup when batteries die is a cig lighter adapter. Works fine but plays hell with certain radio frequencies.

I bought the sporty's one is a backup. It works fine, but the cig lighter does not, so gonna see if we can bring that back to life

Looks like I’ll be up on Monday for just the day. Hoping to meet up with some of you.

I have a coworker who is flying up, but will be parking at Basler. Is Camp Scholer the only option for folks who can’t camp with their plane?
There are some private campgrounds near and far but why not Scholler if you are camping without plane?

I’m going to be lucky to get out of my home airport, both my comps are on the fritz. Maybe I’ll find an avionics guy at Osh who can rectify. Thankfully one doesn’t need comms at Oshkosh.

Back