#RunningIntoTheSky

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Recently been flying my paramotors more than my 182 and last week got participate in a Mountain Flying adventure to Mount Shasta. Completely new experience for me so far.

Launched from Weed Airport, 13 mile cross country flight to the mountain, intercept the mountain at the 8,000' snow level and elevator ride the updraft winds to the top all while avoiding the rotor and downdraft of the back side at all cost.

Goal was to make it to the 14,180' summit and we had two mornings to attempt it. A LOT had to go right for that to be successful, but for me a lot did not. Two engine outs (but restarted), limited visibility of emergency landing options due to thick haze from nearby fires, lost sight and ascent line of Guide, unexpected head winds, low fuel concerns, straight up nerves from not knowing that to expect...ADM kicked in at 10,000' and aborted the ascent but we still had an epic adventure. Only 2 of the 10 pilots ultimately made it to the summit.

While as GA pilots we get to witness views that few others do, experiencing them from a flying camping chair suspended from a pice of fabric on strings is a whole nuther perspective!

Shasta 1.jpg

Last edited:
If I had the extra funding I would absolutely get into this. Maybe sometime down the road. I have way too many flying things I want to do - all which cost significant amounts of money!

If I had the extra funding I would absolutely get into this. Maybe sometime down the road. I have way too many flying things I want to do - all which cost significant amounts of money!

That is the one thing about Paramotors...one you get the training and equipment, it is the lowest cost motorized sport out there let alone in aviation. Thing burns a gallon an hour, minimal maintenance, no storage cost, certificates or medical to maintain...everything else I have done in my life from boats to planes to motorized sports have a pretty heafty meter running while participating. This is amazingly inexpensive operating cost!

That is the one thing about Paramotors...one you get the training and equipment, it is the lowest cost motorized sport out there let alone in aviation. Thing burns a gallon an hour, minimal maintenance, no storage cost, certificates or medical to maintain...everything else I have done in my life from boats to planes to motorized sports have a pretty heafty meter running while participating. This is amazingly inexpensive operating cost!

Yea I don't doubt that at all. Its 2K for USPPA 2 training at Paradrenalin (which is very close to me) with Ryan Shaw. Of course I'd have to buy gear and all that. I actually have the money for it right now, but I'm trying to fast track to CFI so every bit of money I have is going towards Commercial, Multi-Engine Commercial, and CFI. I could see myself doing that course in a few years though. It looks like a blast. Unfortunately, I have to keep my priorities straight right now and focus on the ratings before I start deviating towards other flying hobbies.

Looks like fun,past my prime ,so I’ll pass,enjoy.

...one you get the training and equipment, it is the lowest cost motorized sport out there let alone in aviation. Thing burns a gallon an hour...
If that is too rich for your blood, get in a thermal or find some ridge lift? :)

I’ve debated getting into this a few times. I still might at some point. It looks like a blast.

You could try this cheaply!

image.jpeg

Lawnmowers seem pretty cheap to run.

I was responding to meaning that lawnmower racing could be a pretty cheap sport, too. ;)

I do believe that requires a pretty substantial investment in beer consumption to participate on a daily basis!

What doesn't?

I see guys flying down the shore line at like 50' agl with motors strapped to their backs... They're always making lazy turns. My assumption is the turns represent the cadence of their beer sipping since presumably you can't drop all those kite strings to put the can to your mouth.

I see guys flying down the shore line at like 50' agl with motors strapped to their backs... They're always making lazy turns. My assumption is the turns represent the cadence of their beer sipping since presumably you can't drop all those kite strings to put the can to your mouth.

See, that’s why airplanes are better. Easier to find a place to hold your beverages, and you can fly hands off whilst opening/consuming said libations. Ever seen a powered parachute pilot pee into an empty Gatorade bottle in flight? Ugly.

Actually the newer machines you can fly hands off and weight shift your way around to steer....thus giving you a beer hand!

...but yeah, dehydrating in a Paramotor is a bit more challenging.

Actually the newer machines you can fly hands off and weight shift your way around to steer....thus giving you a beer hand!

...but yeah, dehydrating in a Paramotor is a bit more challenging.

Easy now- just because you fly around under a parachute doesn’t mean you’re a Cirrus owner.

Easy now- just because you fly around under a parachute doesn’t mean you’re a Cirrus owner.

He said beer hand... Not Chardonnay hand.

I think you mean...

3bd05fdd-8678-47ad-8324-2729abd8be95_1.5cb52e9e076fbca96e737675c60b4165.jpeg

Back