Spam; pretending to come from D-shannon

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I received this email today. I forwarded it to de-Shannon asking if it was legit. They replied that it was spam.
But the “From” field must have been spoofed because it sure looked legit, even when I expanded it.
615CB9CA-8916-4918-90A0-8B0FC396CE68.png

I get all sort of emails like that. The most recent was from Ohio State University. But looking at the email address it wasn't actually OSU. The spammers find the name of someone at a university and then spoof their email address asking for a quote on a ridiculous number of items - but always the same items.

So you need a little booze,to looosen the tongue?

As phishing scams go, this was one of the better ones. If you have purchased from DShannon before, Scott occasionally follows up with information or questions on how the install is working. I wasnt surprised to receive an email from him.

As phishing scams go, this was one of the better ones. If you have purchased from DShannon before, Scott occasionally follows up with information or questions on how the install is working. I wasnt surprised to receive an email from him.
I emailed him a couple of years ago when I bought the Bo asking about the center of gravity changes and gross weight increase with tip tanks. I don't think I ever got an answer, so I thought maybe he finally found an unsent email, or was doing some follow ups or something. Now I think maybe his account was hacked like mine was a few years ago, causing spam to be sent to everyone in my contact list. Most people were understanding though.

Now I think maybe his account was hacked like mine was a few years ago, causing spam to be sent to everyone in my contact list. Most people were understanding though.

Most likely scenario. I bet anyone who received this has previously communicated with him. Between the affinity scam and the nonspecific language it has a higher than average chance to succeed.

I got one just like that a few weeks ago only it was from a phisher pretending to be a legitimate document transfer company. I forwarded it to them and they confirmed someone was spoofing their email.

I got one that looked like it was from a friend wanting to share a Dropbox file with me. I was suspicious, thinking that person wasn't likely to share files, so I queried the sender. The response was much too formal and businesslike. This person would not have replied to me like that. I contacted the real person, and his email had been hacked.

I get all sort of emails like that. The most recent was from Ohio State University. But looking at the email address it wasn't actually OSU. The spammers find the name of someone at a university and then spoof their email address asking for a quote on a ridiculous number of items - but always the same items.

A guy in Michigan gets an email from The Ohio State University requesting a quote on a ridicules number of items. You know that is bogus.

Heck Woody Hayes said he would push his car into Ohio before he would buy gas in Michigan.

The problem with these is by statistical chance they'll hit some people who have some real life thing that applies. When I got the document transfer email, we were in the process of updating our estate planning and were actually expecting documents.

I have gotten the fake FedEx email that says my package was undeliverable at the same time a real package sent by me through FedEx was not delivered because it contained a bottle of wine and nobody answered the door to sign for it.

You have to be very suspicious and on your toes with these things.

Back