Jim's Forum Time

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Good day all ...

We are driving in on Sunday and the forum is 10-11:15 on Monday morning. I like that, first shot out of the box. The only problem is that Barnaby Wainfan is doing a gig on the Appareo Stratus at the same time and I'd like to have heard his opinion on that.

Anyway, full data attached. Hope to see you there.

Attachments

• EAA Forum Promo.pdf
    751.6 KB · Views: 63
What the...?

How are you supposed to tell us what's the best stuff at the show if your forum is at the start of the show??

Cool Jim. Will this presentation be recorded so the rest of us can view it?

Good day all ...

We are driving in on Sunday and the forum is 10-11:15 on Monday morning. I like that, first shot out of the box. The only problem is that Barnaby Wainfan is doing a gig on the Appareo Stratus at the same time and I'd like to have heard his opinion on that.

Anyway, full data attached. Hope to see you there.

I happened by Barnaby's forum on plane design last year and found his comments on the Beech Starship fascinating.

I happened by Barnaby's forum on plane design last year and found his comments on the Beech Starship fascinating.
I just came back from the Oshkosh forums page. Barnaby's name has been taken off of the Appareo Stratus time slot. Good thing. Barnaby is an aerodynamics whiz, but avionics? Not so much.

Jim

OK, folks, we just came up with a problem that I've never had to face before. I'm one of the FIRST forums on the FIRST day of The Show. Understand that I'm coming from California with about twenty pounds of dog'n'pony show equipment (power supplies, electronic parts, and all the rest of it) that I have to get to the forums area around 9:30 to get ready for the 10 am show on Monday morning.

Now to complicate things: Cyndi has booked a hotel around 3 hours south of Oshkosh (Mineral Point WI). We are coming in Sunday around noon, but nothing on the field is going to be open on Sunday for me to get my stuff to the forums area and into a SECURE area (I'm bringing a $2000 ADSB box for demo plus a TON of other stuff).

At roughly 0700 Oshkosh time Monday morning, gridlock for getting into the parking areas is going to occur. It will take an hour (easy) to get from anywhere outside of Oshkosh onto the field. Then I get to park in the regular visitors parking lot and schlep twenty pounds of crap from the car to the forums tent, half an hour. That means I need to be in the parking lot no later than 0830, which means I need to be in the gridlock around 7:30.

Backing that up into what time we need to leave Mineral Point is 0-dark-430. WIth all due respects to my darling bride, we are both in our mid-70s and that ain't gonna happen.

My thought is that if she can leave me at the field on Sunday and I can find a place to crash (with all my stuff, a box about the size of a microwave oven) with a sleeping bag or whatever, I can get to the forum tent and when she fights her way through traffic she can rescue me and we can go our merry way.

I really can't bring a tent and all that stuff because the Subaru (as measured) is just about big enough for me to bring a sleeping bag and an extra fly's navel.

I'm thinking that if anybody in the aircraft camping areas OR in Schollar has an idea I'm willing to listen.

One thought is to wangle my way into Schollar and crash in one of the little USB charging station huts.

Suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Jim

You are welcome to crash in my tent. It is an 8 man tent and I'm like half a man so you can have all the room ive got. North 40.

You'd have to put up with me and all that...But you are likely to end up in "A fly-in I created (a satire)"

Your microwave sized box is welcome to sit in my RV-6 in homebuilt camping. I don't have tent space for ya, but could probably wrangle a golf cart to lug the 'box to your forum first thing Monday. Lemme know. Heck, if you stay at Brian's and want to work it that way, I bet I can wrangle a golf cart to meet you at his campsite that morning, collect you and your stuff, and deploy you at the forum area.

Your microwave sized box is welcome to sit in my RV-6 in homebuilt camping. I don't have tent space for ya, but could probably wrangle a golf cart to lug the 'box to your forum first thing Monday. Lemme know. Heck, if you stay at Brian's and want to work it that way, I bet I can wrangle a golf cart to meet you at his campsite that morning, collect you and your stuff, and deploy you at the forum area.
Kyleb ...
Thanks, but I'm still trying to sort all this out. Getting a golf care EARLY on Monday isn't a problem. The press tent (Kitplanes author) will give me one for an hour, no problem. It is just that I can't have another one that day. So getting from where I am on Monday to the forums isn't a problem. What **is ** a problem is getting all that crap back from the forum tent to a place where I can meet Cyndi to put it back into the Subaru.

We've got about three weeks to get this together and I'll keep your kind reply when we get a little closer.

You have no idea how much "Thanks" means right now.

Jim
You'd have to put up with me and all that...But you are likely to end up in "A fly-in I created (a satire)"
Problem solved, and may the harpy footed fairies of aviation dance on your table.

Thanks,

Jim

Kyleb ...What **is ** a problem is getting all that crap back from the forum tent to a place where I can meet Cyndi to put it back into the Subaru.

Jim

No guarantees, but I bet I can score the homebuilt camping golf cart if you need it for the return trip to the Subaru.

No guarantees, but I bet I can score the homebuilt camping golf cart if you need it for the return trip to the Subaru.
OOOOh, I just saw your name as Drake the Outlaw. I think we both have the same interpretation of the FARs as Drake. Bless Bach, and the sequel "Found at Pharisee".

Jim

OOOOh, I just saw your name as Drake the Outlaw. I think we both have the same interpretation of the FARs as Drake. Bless Bach, and the sequel "Found at Pharisee".

Jim

Yep. Drake's philosophy was thought provoking. Legal isn't necessarily safe and safe isn't necessarily legal. I prefer to be both safe and legal, but...

Jim

What a great couple of stories. Bach wrote some great stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I'd want to end up anywhere near @SixPapaCharlie when he's holding a camera. :eek:
If 6PAPAcharlie wants to photograph me stark naked and post it to PilotsOfAmerica but is willing to give me a place to crash on Sunday night, so be it. Besides, a picture of me stark naked may keep the kiddies from websurfing for naked pictures. It isn't a pretty sight. Something about it doesn't need to be a very LONG picture (ahem).

Jim

OK, 6PaPaChArLiE, is the offer of a crash pad still open? If so, where do you plan on setting up camp? And when do you get there?

THanks,

Jim

Sorry it was a gay joke. And it was a gay joke.

Hey @SixPapaCharlie are you filming “a tie down test at the fly in I created (a satire)” this year or will that be 2nd year stuff?

Thank you for reminding me. I need a tie down solution quickly I plan on making my own but man I'm procrastinating

Thank you for reminding me. I need a tie down solution quickly I plan on making my own but man I'm procrastinating
Best Oshkosh tiedowns I've ever made were (for each tie down) 3 18"-24" bridge spikes and a 6" length of proof chain that the spikes will fit through. Hammer. Drive the bridge spikes through the bottom three links of the chain and into the ground at about a 45° angle to the ground and 120° angle between the spikes (think of a 3-sided pyramid driven below the surface of the ground. The 3 spikes reinforce each other but when it comes time to go home the individual nails come out quite easily with the pull fork of the hammer.

Rope goes through the top link of the chain and to the tiedown. If you are using polypropylene or nylon rope, tie a knot on one end of the rope and burn the end (and a little bit of the knot itself) with a torch to seal the knot together or use PVC cement to glue the knot together permanently. Pass the free end of the rope through the chain and the knot will not pass through the chain. No tied knot at the chain end to come loose.

Jim

S

STCs for what?

Jim
I don't know... I'd expect that you would hear more than I about them. Things like AoA indicators or other things that could be more easily added to type-certificated planes than in the past.

That thingamabob on your workbench, of course!

You know, the thing that replaces the framulator for about one-tenth the cost of the framulator!

-Skip
We don't need no steenking STCs for our stuff. You put it together, the PMA for the product is owner manufactured to 21.303(b)(2) and your A&P or IA signs it off as a minor installation. Done.

Jim

Jim, we are gonna miss your forum. We have to go fetch our plane tomorrow morning from Wautoma Airport, where we diverted today after 3.5 hours in the Green Lake hold, and getting turned away AT FISK no less than 3 times.

We gotta have a plane on our site, or EAA will get ****y with us.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back