How to determine who wins an argument?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
An internet argument that is. Does one person just deliver the final blow and hope the other guy raises the white flag or do you both just call it a draw at some point, if that’s even possible. What’s considered proper etiquette even if you know that your opinion is the right one?

FCA4C700-8A08-4FF0-A23F-EE0D918A1418.jpeg

I don't know about winning, but you certainly lose if you invoke Hitler, Nazi Germany or Fascism to make your point. Reductio Ad Hitlerum is wide recognized as proof that your argument has no merit. There is a special case exception for when you are talking actually about Hitler.

There will always be winners and losers,it depends how personal you take it,how much you’ll care.

I don't know about winning, but you certainly lose if you invoke Hitler, Nazi Germany or Fascism to make your point. Reductio Ad Hitlerum is wide recognized as proof that your argument has no merit.

I would say that depends on the argument and the other person's position. I mean if the other person is advocating genocide, well...

I would say that depends on the argument and the other person's position. I mean if the other person is advocating genocide, well...

Even though you might be right, it becomes a forfeit. We don't need to say "Hitler was in favor of genocide and you're in favor of genocide, therefore you are just like Hitler" in order to show that genocide is wrong. In addition, the logic used is incorrectly applied. Forfeit.

An internet argument that is. Does one person just deliver the final blow and hope the other guy raises the white flag or do you both just call it a draw at some point, if that’s even possible. What’s considered proper etiquette even if you know that your opinion is the right one?
POA arguments or Other? LOL

I don't know about winning, but you certainly lose if you invoke Hitler, Nazi Germany or Fascism to make your point. Reductio Ad Hitlerum is wide recognized as proof that your argument has no merit. There is a special case exception for when you are talking actually about Hitler.

I think Hitler would agree with this.

LOL. :)

And with that, we have Godwin’s Law in action in less than 20 posts! Woooooot.

The Internet is great.

PoA arguments spill over into other threads with people constantly nitpicking and bullying because their little tooshie hurts until finally they just run people off that aren't in the "sooper kool gang" because "OMG yooooz was wrong once and won't admit it !!!!!!!!"

fawking grown arse adults acting like spoiled children..... :(:confused:

PoA arguments spill over into other threads with people constantly nitpicking and bullying because their little tooshie hurts until finally they just run people off that aren't in the "sooper kool gang" because "OMG yooooz was wrong once and won't admit it !!!!!!!!"

fawking grown arse adults acting like spoiled children..... :(:confused:
Agreed. There’s just some people who constantly feel that they have an axe to grind with somebody and it’s usually over nothing!

You're asking this on POA?! :eek:

And how long have you been on POA? :loco::lol:

When arguing with my wife I know who wins.

Nobody wins an argument on the internet, because nobody will ever change their position. Everyone just keeps shouting the same thing over and over until they shut down the spin zone.

Who got the sprinkles? That's who won.

View attachment 64924

So which argument are you talking about? Just give us the link and we'll tell you who won.

You win the field if your opponent ragequits or gets banned. You don't ever win the war...

Back