KX-155 With Iffy LED Screen?

sourdough44

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
WI Flyer
I have one up for sale soon. The screen averages about 1/2 the LED legs out. The radio transmits & receives fine, you have to almost count the clicks with a frequency change.

Any idea of value? I’m thinking eBay. It seems screen replacements are hard to come by now?

Last I checked a new screen was at least a grand, and that was awhile ago. Might be able to get a serviceable used one.

the 155 does not have a led screen, it is a florescent, they are pretty much unavailable nowadays. the 155a has a led screen. the 155 can be converted by BK to the tune of 1800 bucks.

The VFDs were dying before RoHS made sure they’d never be manufactured again.

Mine was failing and the avionics tech 'cleaned contacts' or something and it was fine after that. Have also heard of failures that are b.e.r. though.

Yep clean the contacts with a business card or dollar bill, turn the dimmer up and it might buy you some time with the display. A new LCD display can be put in but it's close to 2k for it.

Had this service done on my KX-155A. It ran me $1700 all-in to have a local shop swap the EL display that was failing with the more modern LED that BK sells as the current part. Doesn't really matter if you're right or wrong about it being LED right now...the repair is the same. The LED screens are easy to get, just pricey. You don't want the EL displays anyway...failure prone and don't work well in the cold.

As for what it's worth on eBay without the fix...little would be my guess. Display failure is the most common failure mode of these units and there are plenty of fully working units on the market. Wouldn't be much market for one with a display failure.

Back