Tool box shopping

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My elderly tool box has left this world, I did not realize how bonded I was to it and how hard it would be to replace. A moment of silence.

It was 16x7x7, only one level with a very simple vertical divider in the bottom against the back wall.
The divider was 1/2" away from the back wall at the right side and 1&1/2" away from the back wall at the left side. This allowed one to put sockets of ever increasing size in that divided space and they would stay put & be organized according to size.
I have been a month in and out of shops selling tool boxes and looking online.
It's up to POA now.

Are you looking for metal, plastic, wood? Sockets now come in tapered trays or trees so the divider may not be necessary.

I think your insistence on the diagonal divider is the major hold up. If you really want one that badly, how about just fabricating one and bolting/riveting it to a standard box?

For portable use? I use tool bags. Gravity does the organization and while I may have to unload half the contents to find what I’m looking for, the versatility of a bag outweighs any inconvenience.

I think I will find a brake and shears, and make it -- thanks. Thought they were dime a dozen.
A bag full of loose tools would drive me over the edge, Stewart!

They sell socket organizers at Sears, Lowes, etc. I have some from Sears that the sockets snap unto.

You probably mean like this?
My problem is I am 'mediocre' anal.
I am anal enough that I want them all in one general location and it would be cool if they were in order of size....but to have a specific slot for each one might drive me nuts!
I know, there is no satisfying...

upload_2018-7-10_18-3-48.png

For portable use? I use tool bags. Gravity does the organization and while I may have to unload half the contents to find what I’m looking for, the versatility of a bag outweighs any inconvenience.
I have a rolling toolbox in the garage that is well organized and I throw what I need in the bag when I need to be mobile. Since, I only grab the tools I might need for that job, it usually isn't too big of a deal to fine what you need.

They sell socket organizers at Sears, Lowes, etc. I have some from Sears that the sockets snap unto.
Yes, these are great and I just throw them in the bag, when I need sockets, that way the sockets don't roll around loose.

Back