Unconventional Student

fire67bird

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fire67bird
I've always been interested in flying and finally decided the circumstances were right to pursue training. A flight school near me was offering a sport pilot course so I decided to enroll due to it being inline with my personal flying goals. The CFI was pushing me into training for my private license but my goal is to fly an ultralight or E-LSA. A couple weeks into training he contacts me to say the lease back deal he had with the LSA owner fell through and he picked up the aircraft. Given that the training location was an hour from my house, I decided to contact a different flight school to get 15-20 hours in a Cessna to prepare for flying an ultralight. I wanted to be honest with the new CFI so I told him my intentions up front and it seems like he is skeptical and doesn't want to train me.

Is my plan ridiculous for some reason or do I need to change my tactics to get the training that I need? I feel like I'd be better off saying I want to get my private license and then just bail after I learn the skills needed for flying an ultralight.

Doesn’t seem strange to me. Just expensive. Are you planning on buying after you get your ticket?

The difference in cost between a sport and private certificate is small enough I don’t really understand why someone who could get a private wouldn’t do it. I completely understand those that can’t. That’s not what I’m talking about.

I was going for sport pilot initially. My CFI convinced me to get PPL and I'm glad I did.

The difference in cost between a sport and private certificate is small enough I don’t really understand why someone who could get a private wouldn’t do it. I completely understand those that can’t. That’s not what I’m talking about.

Since I'm mainly interested in ultralights, the sport option seemed really appealing because it would allow me to buy a new ultralight. The extra expense of the private would likely bump me down to used and I'd feel better with a new aircraft.

Yes I'm leaning toward a new Aerolite 103 or a Kolb.
You can buy a well-used C150 or Champ for the price of one of those. Of course certified is going to cost a bit more to operate, but have massively more utility. Unless you just want to tool around the patch on calm days.

In fact, you don't need any certificate to fly single seat p 103.

If you intend to take the part 103 route - why not pursue training oriented towards part 103? You may have to travel, but you should be able to knock it out in a reasonably short time.

I was getting ready to re: like Capt. Geoffrey, go with what you want to end up flying, any Cessna time won't really help in a 103 aircraft

If you intend to take the part 103 route - why not pursue training oriented towards part 103? You may have to travel, but you should be able to knock it out in a reasonably short time.

Any recommendations? I live in Georgia and the only places I have found are weight shift. It would be great if I could find a place that could teach me the skills I need in a dual ultralight. I wouldn't mind traveling anywhere east of the Mississippi.

It appears to me as far as the FAA is concerned; there is no such thing as a two seat ultralight.

I feel there is value in finding a flight instructor that will help you work toward your goals.

As a primary student you have a lot to learn and will be spending a lot of time with your flight instructor.

There is a guy at our field (KJCA) that has a Rans s-12 he uses for ultralight training. Atlanta Sport Flying is the name of his business. Does mostly trikes but would be worth a shot if you're anywhere close.

Back